Trump's Card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trump's Card

The Awesome Berbaslug!!! wrote: That was certainly the impression I got when I went to the Middle of france. It was france for hundreds of miles in every direction. I found it a bit unsettling to be honest.
    How far were you from Méribel ?

Comment

Trump's Card

by Irish standards, A million miles away. by French standards, probably just over the road. Driving From that Ryanair tent in a field to Paris was quite strange, but I was blown away by a toulon, rodez, toulouse trip, and I spent a week in Millau, about 500 metres from one end of the bridge.

There was a bunch of us staying in some self catering accommodation, and the last person to arrive was a yemeni-scouser. we wondered how he would get on in rural france. when he eventually turned up, he had quite the tale to tell. He had been allowed to sit with the Train driver, the female ticket conductor tried to get our group to go paragliding at her cousins place, and arranged a date with him. when he got off the train in millau, everywhere was closing after lunch, but a woman opened up her cafe again, to make him lunch, having nipped off to get more bread.

Then one morning he went cross country, climbed a couple of fences and went for a jog across the Bridge. The Police were alerted because they thought he was a jumper, so the police picked him up, and even though they were only 500 metres away had to go on a 15km journey to deliver him back by car, and when he turned up in a police car, we thought he had been arrested for being brown without papers or something (well the papers bit was correct anyway. even though they spoke no common language, they all emerged from the car as great buddies) The police stayed for an hour, drinking coffee, chatting away, admiring all the ladies in their swimwear, and showing everyone their guns. And I don't mean they had short shirts on.

I went to see the mcdonalds that jose Bove drove a digger through, and it occurred to me that the reason that the french police were armed was that it seemed that much of rural France is that the french state has a very tenuous grip on much of france, and given half a chance every rural hamlet would happily declare independence if they could. the other disturbing thing was that reading about the history of millau, it became very clear that death comes charging up that valley once a century in the form of some religious or political unrest, and virtually everyone dies. I wasn't really ready for that.

It would have been nice to have had interactions with the locals that didn't usually begin with an apology for Thierry Henry's handball, in whatever english they could muster. though it was a useful ice-breaker. apart from it being a bit embarrassing, I get the impression that most people would have been much happier if France had given the 2010 world cup a bit of a miss.

Comment

Trump's Card

Hot Pepsi wrote: Good for us!

(Though "Presbyterian" covers a very broad group of protestants. It really just describes a type of church governance, rather than a particular theological outlook).
        hah, it's impressive though that one community could at different times produce wolfe Tone and Ian fucking paisley. honestly most people would be less surprised to hear that Northern irish presbyterians had founded Wahabbism, or Al qaeda than irish republicanism. Even though I knew that Wolfe tone was a protestant of some description, it wasn't until I was reading about the fenians, that I discovered that for the first 100 years, that the military leadership, and political organisations of irish republicanism was defined and dominated by protestants. I still didn't believe it until I met a presbyterian from the inishowen peninsula in donegal, and her political views could be summed up as "The border is fucking stupid and the english govt are cunts and the DUP are dangerous professional peasants"

From there it's just a short step to impaling a militiaman on a pitchfork, and trying to organize a french invasion. Though in fairness, back in Wolfe tone's day, the English were if anything harsher on presbyterians under the Penal laws, hence the massive flood of migration to the newly opened southern states.

Comment

Trump's Card

Glad you got treated well in Switzerland AP, I had the same experience in reverse in Dublin...aside from one belligerent, argumentative chap in the pub who did not want to admit Switz was the better teams (a little wink to Colm now....)

My experience of Scandinavia is limited but I found people in Copenhagen no less friendly than in many other countries and I had a brilliant time in Bergen, very friendly and curious people. It might be a port city thing mind in the case of Bergen, naturally more open to the world.

Comment

Trump's Card

antoine polus wrote: poutine is absolute shit.
            Hobbesian...

Comment

Trump's Card

The Danes are very much the latinos of Scandinavia (which says more about Scandinavia than the Danes, but still).

Comment

Trump's Card

Gangster Octopus wrote:
                Originally posted by antoine polus
                poutine is absolute shit.
                Hobbesian...
                I believe it is you, my eight tentacled friend, who are exhibiting Hobbesianism here

Comment

Trump's Card

Glad you got treated well in Switzerland AP, I had the same experience in reverse in Dublin...aside from one belligerent, argumentative chap in the pub who did not want to admit Switz was the better teams (a little wink to Colm now....)

That was great fun. It's a pity we didn't come within an asses roar of euro 2008. I think the Irish fans would have had a great time with the swiss. I think our countries would probably be married now.

Some of your players were right cunts though. I wouldn't suggest that Alexander Frei go on any hiking holidays on the Wild Atlantic Way any time soon.

Comment

Trump's Card

I can't imagine a scenario where poutine is anything but delicious. It's chips, gravy, cheese and possibly one or two other marvellous things. If it weren't deadly, it would be the world's most perfect dish.

Comment

Trump's Card

Ah now lads. I've been to carveries in Ireland where there have been over 10 different ways of serving potatoes. I make cottage pie with so much butter that you hallucinate, If abroad and I get the opportunity I try and find new and exotic of eating potatoes, and the next time I go up to Dublin I've been promised Latkes, which seem to me to be offer the only evidence that Jews may be the chosen people of god. I'm quite excited about the whole thing

But that shit is wrong. The point of chips is that they are supposed to be crisp on the outside, and dry and fluffy on the inside. If you're going to bury them in gravy and Cheese, you should use a more appropriate form of potato. The Gravy and cheese and potato combination sounds great, but poutine sounds like spaniards mixing Coke and wine, when the bottle of rum is literally right there.

Comment

Trump's Card

Sorry to interrupt but this editorial in the Spiegel calling for Germany to lead an anti Trump alliance is worth a read.

The Spiegel's not what it was, but all the same....

Germany must build an alliance against Donald Trump, because it otherwise won't take shape. It is, however, absolutely necessary.

It is literally painful to write this sentence, but the president of the United States is a pathological liar. The president of the U.S. is a racist (it also hurts to write this). He is attempting a coup from the top; he wants to establish an illiberal democracy, or worse; he wants to undermine the balance of power. He fired an acting attorney general who held a differing opinion from his own and accused her of "betrayal." This is the vocabulary used by Nero, the emperor and destroyer of Rome. It is the way tyrants think.

Donald Trump and his fire-starter Stephen Bannon discriminate against certain people by decree, but not against those from countries in which Trump does business. The contempt the president of the United States and his most important adviser have for science and education is so blatant that it's almost difficult to write. But their disdain for climate and environmental policies has to be stated, because four or eight years of it could become a serious threat.

Among the things that counted as true progress during the 20th century were multilateralism and free trade. The world has become so complex that no single country can solve the major problems on its own -- that was our recognition. Organizations like the United Nations, the World Trade Organization, the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, NATO and the EU were all created for this reason. None of these organizations is perfect, but they are what we launched -- and we do need them. Bannon now wants to wipe them away, and either Trump is executing Bannon's intentions or he shares them.

Comment

Trump's Card

WOM wrote: I can't imagine a scenario where poutine is anything but delicious. It's chips, gravy, cheese and possibly one or two other marvellous things.
                          You have answered your own question there.

Comment

Trump's Card

But, back on topic, as Nef says, that editorial is fantastic.

Comment

Trump's Card

The Awesome Berbaslug!!! wrote: That was great fun. It's a pity we didn't come within an asses roar of euro 2008. I think the Irish fans would have had a great time with the swiss. I think our countries would probably be married now
                              Whereas in reality, the closest you've got to 'marriage' with another group of fans is er, Northern Ireland. After the Mayor of Paris gave us joint Freedom of the City last summer

Comment

Trump's Card

ad hoc wrote:
                                Originally posted by WOM
                                I can't imagine a scenario where poutine is anything but delicious. It's chips, gravy, cheese and possibly one or two other marvellous things.
                                You have answered your own question there.
                                Your aversion to cheese is a great blessing for you. For most of us, it is extremely hard to turn down. I wish I didn't like it. I'd be healthier.

Comment

Trump's Card

The Awesome Berbaslug!!! wrote: Ah now lads. I've been to carveries in Ireland where there have been over 10 different ways of serving potatoes. I make cottage pie with so much butter that you hallucinate, If abroad and I get the opportunity I try and find new and exotic of eating potatoes, and the next time I go up to Dublin I've been promised Latkes, which seem to me to be offer the only evidence that Jews may be the chosen people of god. I'm quite excited about the whole thing

But that shit is wrong. The point of chips is that they are supposed to be crisp on the outside, and dry and fluffy on the inside. If you're going to bury them in gravy and Cheese, you should use a more appropriate form of potato. The Gravy and cheese and potato combination sounds great, but poutine sounds like spaniards mixing Coke and wine, when the bottle of rum is literally right there.
                                  A good poutine's chips *are* crisp on the outside and dry and fluffy on the inside, because they should either be cooked twice or cooked just short of a dark brown.

It should also be pointed out that cheese curds do not melt (or, more accurately, melt much more slowly) like regular cheese, so you get a feeling of separate elements.

A good poutine is awesome, just a grab bag of delicious.

Comment

Trump's Card

next frontier for Trump/Bannon/ Breitbart/ White Nationalists -the Vatican

May be behind a paywall for some-NYT link

Comment

Trump's Card

One of the attacks on Trump's list of global terror attacks.

Comment

Trump's Card

Flynnie wrote: A good poutine is awesome, just a grab bag of delicious.
                                        A bloody messy grab bag.

Comment

Trump's Card

Flynnie wrote:
                                          Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!!
                                          Ah now lads. I've been to carveries in Ireland where there have been over 10 different ways of serving potatoes. I make cottage pie with so much butter that you hallucinate, If abroad and I get the opportunity I try and find new and exotic of eating potatoes, and the next time I go up to Dublin I've been promised Latkes, which seem to me to be offer the only evidence that Jews may be the chosen people of god. I'm quite excited about the whole thing

A good poutine's chips *are* crisp on the outside and dry and fluffy on the inside, because they should either be cooked twice or cooked just short of a dark brown.

It should also be pointed out that cheese curds do not melt (or, more accurately, melt much more slowly) like regular cheese, so you get a feeling of separate elements.

A good poutine is awesome, just a grab bag of delicious.
                                          I don't have a lot of poutine experience, but that's a good point about the cheese curds. It's what differentiates poutine from just cheesy fries like we get here a lot. Those are made with cheese whiz or something similar. It's goop.

Yeah, for any kind of fries/chips to work with a lot of stuff on them, the fries/chips have to be fairly crisp. I believe the preferred approach in Quebec is duck fat. Which is tasty murder, of course.

Comment

Trump's Card

It sounds like Bannon has his job cut out for him. Those vatican fuckers will eat him alive. If Cardinal Burke's winning streak continues for much longer, he'll be serving mass on craggy fucking island in two years time.

Comment

Trump's Card

Der Spiegel wrote: Donald Trump and his fire-starter Stephen Bannon discriminate against certain people by decree, but not against those from countries in which Trump does business.
                                              The countries that Donald Trump does business with happen to be the same countries that the USA does business with, and is the exact same list of countries that was selected by the Obama administration last year for toughened up visa policy. Since the Obama decision last year, European citizens no longer qualify for an ESTA if they have an Iran entry stamp in their passport. Saudi Arabia entry stamp? No problem.

edit: While Donald Trump has obviously gone even further (banning people with green cards), where was the media outrage at the hypocrisy of the Obama administration's list of countries? Because maybe, just maybe, if the media had been awake for the last 30 years the world wouldn't have ended up with President Trump...

Comment

Trump's Card

Would I be correct to assume that more cheese is consumed in North America in melted form than in solid form?

Comment

Trump's Card

Given our pizza consumption alone, almost certainly.

Comment

Trump's Card

No kidding, but I bet that 90% of North Americans couldn't name 10 different kinds of cheese.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X