Storm in a tea cup: The weather thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
    The weather really is, to use the correct meteorological term, taking the piss today.
    Yep. It's utter bollocks.

Comment

Not reporting on today's extremely "meh" day in Lancashire (cloudy, about 18 degrees, no rain, wind, sunshine, nothing) but I got thinking this morning, is there always a consistent average air temperature around the globe? So if it's 18 instead of 9 in Lancashire, is somewhere else 9 degrees cooler than expected? Or is it feasible that some days, the entire planet is 3 degrees hotter than on other days?

Comment

Well, the boys managed to get the roof sealed on Friday, but didn't fit the flashing.
        The covered the gap with three 6ft scaffolding board which weigh about 15kg each. Two of them blew off the roof.
        So we had some water ingress which ran along the RSJ and re-wet the plaster. Which was annoying.
        Thankfully the got the flashing on this morning before the heavens opened yet again.
        What a shit spring we've had so far.

Comment

Comment

That's a pain.

The weather is rotten. Endless heavy showers with the occasional gusty spell. Supposed to improve from midweek onwards but we'll see.

My roofers seem to have gone AWOL. Every day last week the builder said that they would be in the next day and they weren't and it was the same story today.

Stairs to be fitted tomorrow with the replacement sofa module (wrong specification originally delivered) also due to arrive then.

What fun.

Comment

30 degrees in the flat right now, even with all windows open. Last night was pretty miserable too even with a fan running. I think it's officially time to start using the aircon again.

Comment

We just had about ten minutes of impressive hail, with lightning.

Not especially common here.

Comment

Outside with Peter tonight, I almost needed a light jacket. Tomorrow it will be unbearably hot. I really don't like these massive fluctuations, although I'm always grateful for cooler temps this time of year. Really not a fan of those years when we skip spring and go right into full-on summer heat.

Comment

As I mentioned on the sleeping thread, it's midday and already pretty much too hot to do anything. 88 degrees (31F) is warm but not unbearable in San Diego, which is more arid than here. But Massachusetts has a lot of moisture on the ground which evaporates into this thick soupy humid air. The AC will be working full throttle for the next few hours, but won't be able to keep pace.

Comment

It's so hot out today that I couldn't get Peter to walk on the pavement. He stopped, leaned into a brick wall and refused to take another step. Fortunately, we have the dog run in the parking garage, so I took him down there. It had to be at least ten degrees cooler down there. I hate going down there because it's so dirty, but I'm thankful that it's an option.

Comment

It looks we are heading for our first proper burst of heat next Monday, 30c down south a possibility...

An excellent June, everything has dried out very quickly i noticed up the moors on Saturday

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight Shadow View Post
                          It looks we are heading for our first proper burst of heat next Monday, 30c down south a possibility...

An excellent June,
                          Curious non sequitur.

Comment

What's wrong with 30C?

Comment

It's at least five degrees too hot.

Comment

Going up to 97/37 here today. We're in heat-warning territory. Humidity might be lower than yesterday, at least, but it's a day for not leaving the house.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                                  What's wrong with 30C?
                                  Nothing if it's a dry heat like Spain. In Britain, a dry heat of that temperature is pretty much non-existent. Add to that the fact that buildings with air conditioning are in the minority.

The word "muggy" was created for these circumstances.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post
                                    a dry heat like Spain.
                                    Where I live isn't a dry heat.

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Yellow View Post
                                      It's at least five degrees too hot.

It's at least five degrees too cool /fixed that for ya

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post

Where I live isn't a dry heat.
                                        I forget that Valencia's a coastal city sometimes.

Comment

The whole America's Cup thing was supposed to help in that respect

Comment

Coastal or not, I'd still bet that 35C in Valencia is more comfortable than 30C in London. 35C in San Diego is much more comfortable than 30C in London.

Comment

Coastal Brooklyn is much more comfortable than Riverside Manhattan

It is why Coney Island became a thing

Comment

Does it cool dramatically in the 10 miles to the coast like it does in California? Or is it just more sea breeze breaking up the dead air? It's the same temperature in Newburyport as it is here today, so there doesn't seem to be a coastal cooling in effect.

Comment

No, it is very much limited to the sea breeze. Even half a mile from the coast will be noticeably less pleasant, though that also reflects the heat island nature of the built environment.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                                    The whole America's Cup thing was supposed to help in that respect
                                                    Now that was a financial bonanza for the then-ruling PP, similar to the ridiculous F1 circuit or the Pope's visit.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X