No announcement yet.

Storm in a tea cup: The weather thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's a very weird El Nino this year, that's unlike others in the short period we've been recording them. It's a weak El Nino (ENSO only just above 0.5 degrees), but it's been sustaining at the same weakish El Nino signal for a long time and looks like it's going to continue this for a while, possibly all the way into autumn.

Because nobody's seen an El Nino like this before, it's hard to predict what impact it's going to have on the weather. Probably nothing in Northern Europe - your shitty weather is probably just one of those things. But it's almost certainly been part of the driver of the crazy rains in the US over the last few months.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
      There's a very weird El Nino this year, that's unlike others in the short period we've been recording them. It's a weak El Nino (ENSO only just above 0.5 degrees), but it's been sustaining at the same weakish El Nino signal for a long time and looks like it's going to continue this for a while, possibly all the way into autumn.

Because nobody's seen an El Nino like this before, it's hard to predict what impact it's going to have on the weather. Probably nothing in Northern Europe - your shitty weather is probably just one of those things. But it's almost certainly been part of the driver of the crazy rains in the US over the last few months.

The Beeb gives it a mention: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-48589651

Comment

We are experiencing a weather event at the moment with cold air from the polar regions colliding with warm air coming up from Spain. The result is very heavy rain over most of England, now spreading into the Southern Uplands and Wales. I was playing cricket on Sunday when it began to rain. On looking at the rain radar on my phone I saw it was a long very narrow strip of rain maybe only 4 miles wide at the most, but it went about 20 miles in length. This was the start of the collision between the two air masses and although we started playing in lovely bright sunshine and a nice cooling breeze, five hours later we abandoned it under heavy rain but no wind. The rain just did not move and it just got heavier and heavier. Quite something to experience, but what a contrast to last year when we went 8 weeks with no rain and blazing hot sunshine which is all a bit to much for me. I love this sort of weather.

Comment

Bring back last year's weather, I reckon. If you miserable lot are going to get to enjoy the other 9 months it's cold and wet and dark and demoralising, at least let me have 3 months of blue skies and 25C and over.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight shadow View Post
            Fingers crossed the lowering of pressure over Greenland which is now showing on mid-range models is coming through, that way the jet stream can bugger up furher north and give us a chance for better weather...or at least something a tad warmer...
            Eh? Aren't you the one who's always complaining that there's not enough snow in the UK?

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
              Eh? Aren't you the one who's always complaining that there's not enough snow in the UK?
              Err...in winter, in the mountains, yes...I like warm weather in summer.

SB comment above reminded me of a number of discussions as to how the atmoshere behaviour is becoming increasingly out of sync with expectations, it is causing some consternation with long range forecasters. Anyhow, here is a study about this (if you want to really, really understand this thing....)

https://agupubs.onlinelibrary.wiley....rEbx7Q.twitter

Comment

Look, we had a very warm week in the middle of January, we had a mild Spring and now we're having four days of rain and all I hear is whining! You would all be whining far more if groundwater levels were so depleted there were hosepipe bans, or people had to ration showering, or get water from a standpipe from the street. All this rain is just what the doctor ordered!

Comment

When you're standing on your roof waving at the rescue helicopter as your sofa floats out of the living room window, don't turn to us for sympathy.

Comment

I just hope the brewery isn't threatened...

Wainfleet inundated

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...shire-48646801

Comment

Originally posted by Paul S View Post
                      Look, we had a very warm week in the middle of January, we had a mild Spring and now we're having four days of rain and all I hear is whining! You would all be whining far more if groundwater levels were so depleted there were hosepipe bans, or people had to ration showering, or get water from a standpipe from the street. All this rain is just what the doctor ordered!
                      Inundation doesn't help replenish groundwater reserves, because of all of the crap that gets washed into it following torrential downpours.

Comment

Finally a nice day in SE England - 23C and blue skies chez NS at the moment. Inevitably though, there's a Yellow weather warning issued for tomorrow and Wednesday - disruptive thunderstorms this time.

Comment

I missed all of last week's inundations, so I'm quite looking forward to this. Haven't had a good thunderstorm in a while.

Comment

There wasn't much thunder and lightening, in the SE at least. Just relentless heavy rain.

Comment

Amazing and insane upper air temperature chart for the UK. If that were to occur, we would likely see 40c down in London....It probably won't. For now...

https://amz.nwstatic.co.uk/monthly_2...c69a7f9b3a.png

Comment

Is that for next Wednesday?

Comment

Correct. Check the scale at the bottom. 25c "uppers", a very warm airmass that you are more likely to see in countries much further south and originating from Africa by the look of it, above the SE, translated to ground level temperature, it is pretty hot. Wet ground would moderate it though.

Comment

Bit of a let down so far. Just a bit of drizzle at lunchtime.

Comment

I can live with that.

Comment

I think that the thunder & lightening was due a bit later in the day, though the forecast seems to have been downgraded a bit.

Comment

Massive thunderstorm moving over the Thames estuary and into south Essex right now. Plus it's being fed by air coming up from France. The air has immediately turned cooler but there is loads of lightening and lots of thunder out there.

Stay safe everyone!

Comment

There are some amazing pictures on the BBC website of lightening around the Kent and East Sussex coasts, e.g.:

Comment

Hoping the weather holds. I'm planning a birthday trip on the Woolwich Ferry later.

1000 up!

Comment

Happy birthday, sir.

1,000 what, may I ask?

Comment

Cheers! Posts.

Comment

D'uh!

I thought it was something like boat or ferry rides. My outside bet was trips on the Woolwich Ferry.

I may need some caffeine.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X