Wearing pyjamas/dressing gowns outside the house

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, I think I've been very clear that I'm against political sloganeering on my arm warmers. But I don't judge others.

Comment

Toby Gymshorts wrote: I wear shorts and a t-shirt for lazing around the house. I see no point in wearing anything else.
      Except for Toby. I can't abide his slothful attire and ways.

Comment

Toby Gymshorts wrote: I haven't shaved for almost two weeks. No-one at work has said anything.
        TG, this morning:

Comment

You're a gentle lover but a hard taskmaster, WOM.

The reason no-one's commented on my lack of shaving is that there's really not all that much to comment on. A slight, scruffy goatee and that's about it.

I am 40 next birthday.

Comment

I didn't realise so many people on OTF lived so close to the 'corner shop'.
            There's a Co-op actually in my building.

Comment

WOM wrote: I live in outer suburban Toronto. I envy her the convenience.
              Yes, but you're the exception. You're the only one who goes out in his underpants and vest to take his wheelie bins for a trot around the block (or whatever it is you said you did a few pages back). Everybody else gets their kit off specifically to go to the 'shops' before breakfast.

Things must have changed a lot in the last 30-odd years. When I had an early-morning paper round, I never, not once, saw anybody in dressing gowns in the street. Now it seems you can't leave your house without running into the 21st-century equivalents of Roy Figgis and Archie Glover.

I'm glad I got out when I did.

Comment

Toby Gymshorts wrote: You're a gentle lover but a hard taskmaster, WOM.

The reason no-one's commented on my lack of shaving is that there's really not all that much to comment on. A slight, scruffy goatee and that's about it.
                That would be me as well. My facial hair goes beyond stubble to long stubble but not quite a beard and it doesn't grow any further. I have a few patches that also don't grow longer, and it just looks gross. I really wish I could grow a giant beard, but it's not to be.

Comment

I don't even want a beard, I'd just like the non-beardage to be my choice.

Comment

scruffy goatee

Superfluous adjective.

Comment

WOM wrote:
                      Pool shoes? Do you mean flip-flops or those stretchy neoprene ones?
                      Pool shoes. All sorts of colors.

Comment

treibeis wrote:
                        Superfluous adjective
                        You're a superfluous adjective.

Comment

Toby Gymshorts wrote: treibeis wrote:
                          Superfluous adjective
                          "treibeis" isn't an adjective, son, not in anybody's language.

(Now one of the linguistics experts is going to come on here and tell me about an enclave in northern Peru in which the inhabitants' day-to-day communication consists of 3,000 derivates of just two words: "tribe" (superfluous) and "eyes" (adjective))

Comment

Toby Gymshorts wrote: treibeis wrote:
                            Superfluous adjective
                            Yeah, give it to 'im.

Comment

It's my go-to riposte when I can't think of anything apposite, funny or intelligent to say.

So, all the time, then.

Comment

Elvis Wilbury takes a turn wrote: WOM wrote:
                                Ah. Okay. I thought you meant those stretchy things that nerds wear into the lake because it feels 'oogy' on their feets.

Comment

It turns out, from the definitions on this thread, that I wear lounge pants (not pyjama trousers) instead of board shorts on cool mornings. You learn something new every day.

The danger I have, as someone who works from home, is that "morning" can sometimes stretch and I'll find myself in my loungewear as lunchtime approaches. Demarcation of rest time and work time gets very lost as a result.

Comment

WOM wrote:
                                    Originally posted by Elvis Wilbury takes a turn
                                    WOM wrote:
                                    Ah. Okay. I thought you meant those stretchy things that nerds wear into the lake because it feels 'oogy' on their feets.
                                    Also called "shower shoes" if you live in a dorm (the Adidas ones were the most popular when I was in school).

Comment

Do you wear them to the shower or in the shower?

Comment

In the shower, or at least I did.

Comment

Coming to the table very late on this one, but my girlfriend bought me some White Company pyjamas for Christmas that are just gorgeous. If the trousers were slightly less baggy you could wear them on the golf course, but as it is you'll have to picture me wearing them like a model in the catalogue, running my hands through my thick, tousled hair as I read the Sunday papers.

Comment

I didn't realise so many people on OTF lived so close to the 'corner shop'.

There's a Co-op actually in my building.
                                            I'm a minute away from mine, however, twenty-plus years ago, I (and my then-g/f) used to live at Du Cane Court (vast Art Deco block in Balham SW12), which had its own very handy shop on the ground floor. Even though I regularly made the effort to dress before purchasing my milk and Sunday papers there, more often than not I would encounter Arthur Smith in his dressing gown at the till. (He also lived at DCC - he wasn't moonlighting at the checkout or anything.)

His parties were pretty good, too, if, like me, you quite enjoyed wall-to-wall glam rock.

Comment

Giggler wrote: ...you'll have to picture me wearing them like a model in the catalogue, running my hands through my thick, tousled hair as I read the Sunday papers.
                                              People with thick, tousled hair don't read the Sunday papers*. They're too busy having casual sex with supermodels and going to club openings where they have overpriced bottle service with fancy new vodkas.

Comment

People with thick, tousled hair don't read the Sunday papers*. They're too busy having casual sex with supermodels

I don't know what it's like elsewhere, but I've noticed that the blokes here who hang around on the street and outside kiosks drinking over-strength canned beer have all got thick, tousled hair.

I don't mean 'overgrown and thus able to cover up the bald spots". I mean "really, really thick'.

Maybe they have sex with supermodels, but I can't imagine they'd have the time; they're always drinking beer on the street and outside kiosks.

Comment

If there's anybody who knows what it's like elsewhere, it's you. So don't play all 'I don't get around much anymore', you.

But I don't think he's talking about the thick, tousled hair that your plumber or a Russian mobster would have. He's talking about one of those good looking doctor guys off Gray's Anatomy. That kind of thick, tousled hair. The kind of guy who makes sleep pants and supermodel sex look good. He's not reading any Sunday papers, nor drinking beer in the streets.

Comment

Boris Johnson has ruined thick, tousled hair.

And sex, for that matter.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X