Wearing pyjamas/dressing gowns outside the house

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh I used to share an office with a lass that did that. She'd get in and pour herself a bowl of fucking cornflakes or something and sit there munching them for twenty minutes.

It was as much as I could do to refrain from putting something nasty in her cereal box before she got in. But that would only have resulted in another awkward trip to HR.

Comment

WOM, it's a false dawn. Check the details in that piece from, erm, Details:

After laser sessions, facial hair is finer, making it easier to shave—when you need to shave at all. Those especially prone to razor burn, rough stubble, and ingrown hairs find significant relief from the procedure.

Caveats
      Laser hair removal only works on dark hair (since the laser targets pigment), so it doesn't work as well on men with salt-and-pepper or graying hair.
      Permanent facial hair removal technology was my go to suggestion for a "killer app" about 20 years before anyone ever had conceived of the term (or that of the "app", for that matter).

Comment

Occasionally, I have to go to work at Head Office and stay overnight. We have beds there and a shower.

That's the only time I take pyjamas - bottoms only, apart from when camping for extra warmth.

I take my slippers in and wear them round the office. Beats wearing my usual boots all day. Maybe I'll go out in them at lunchtime. Afterall, it's near Shoreditch.

(Slippers same design as showm, just with different colour sole.)

How have we got this far with anyone referring to the ending to The Best Things In Life?

Comment

My step-daughter worked at a local newspaper and was assigned to stand on the main street interviewing people then photographing them for the newspaper's vox pop feature. However that all seemed like too much work so instead she would interview extended family members over breakfast then take most of the day off.

It's a wonder no one at the newspaper ever remarked about the number of contributors who were photographed in nightwear.

Comment

ursus arctos wrote: WOM, the thing is that the overlap of the preppy look and the pyjama thing is quite significant (i.e., "aspirational middle class" white people). The current crop are the sons/daughters/younger siblings of the Preppie Handbook crowd. Not to mention the fact that the pyjamas themselves tend toward a preppy aesthetic (at least among the 16+ crowd).
            http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Wrinkle-Resistant-Oxford-Pajamas/001B,default,pd.html?dwvar_001B_Color=BL&contentpo s=10

Those are really good, oxford cotton is very comfortable and neither too warm nor cold. Perfect fit. Not cheap but very durable, only after a few years will the collar and sleeve tips start fraying, just like good oxford shirts do. I used to wear them while living in San Francisco, where old houses are built like sieves and indoor temperature is always cool yearround.

Nowadays in Canada where it's pretty warm indoors, it's mostly tees and briefs (or boxers in summer), and PJ pants when there is company. Pajama pants are to pajama sets what laptops are to desktops, that market has also flipped.

For footwear, barefoot on carpets and plastic flip flops elsewhere. Not the best, but the most practical option as you can wash them from time to time.

Comment

Definitely not the best, since it means owning and wearing flip-flops.

Comment

Yes, flip flops are the worst thing ever invented.

Comment

"You should have been wearing your slippers," was my mother's stock response if any of us kids stepped with bare feet on a plug, a lego brick or something similarly painful. For many years now we've used the same phrase in our house if anyone complains about a minor injury to any part of their body.

I'm currently wearing a marvellously comfortable pair of brown checked Barbour slippers that my daughter bought me for Christmas. Well, not exactly currently. I'm at work and that would be silly. There are no lego bricks here.

Comment

hobbes wrote: Yes, flip flops are the worst thing ever invented.
                    Rightness.

Comment

WOM wrote:
                      Originally posted by hobbes
                      Yes, flip flops are the worst thing ever invented.
                      Rightness.
                      Not quite the worst thing - playing cards are the worst thing ever invented - but definitely in the top five.

Comment

Three Times A Reddy wrote:
                        Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos
                        If you're so old no one could conceivably think you're a hipster, beards are OK.

They can also make you look younger. There's some kind of facial hair dateline you pass at around sixty.
                        Without my face fungus I'd look about 12. Even with it, I'm taken for several years younger than 32 (which is weird considering my rapidly going salt-and-pepper hair, eyebags and furrowed brow).
                        You seem to have a case of the Gary Lineker.

Comment

hobbes wrote: Yes, flip flops are the worst thing ever invented.
                          It's always an amusing sight, watching a barefoot British tourist abroad, discovering that sand can actually be hot.

Dance, boy, dance ...

Comment

A friend of mine is adamant that espadrilles are 'the worst thing ever invented'.

Who'd have thought beach footwear could prove so divisive, eh?

While I'd disagree on espadrilles, I'm kind of down with the antipathy toward flip-flops (or 'thongs' as Americans insist on calling them). I cannot have something rubber between my toes.

Comment

On shaving: include me with the haters. If there's a pill to stop facial hair growth, I'll take it. Don't care what it does to my genitals, I'd give anything to avoid the morning scrape (except grow a beard, been there, and have since destroyed the photographic evidence).

Comment

MsD wrote: You can get your beard lasered off.

http://www.details.com/blogs/daily-details/2013/11/get-rid-of-your-beard-for-good-laser-facial-hair-removal-is-on-the-rise.html
                                Hmm … not sure if that's genius or a terrible idea. Don't want to grow a beard, but I want to keep my options open in case Dickensian sideburns ever come back in fashion.

Comment

in case Dickensian sideburns ever come back in fashion.

Have they ever been out of fashion in Bavaria?

Comment

treibeis wrote: in case Dickensian sideburns ever come back in fashion.

Have they ever been out of fashion in Bavaria?
                                    I'd argue moustaches and combovers are way more prevalent where I am.

Comment

Stumpy Pepys wrote: I'd argue moustaches and combovers are way more prevalent where I am.
                                      Up here, it's moustaches and stubby ponytails. Der Tatortreiniger is not only very funny, but also captures the look perfectly.

Comment

As I may have mentioned elsewhere, I ditched the wet shave for an electric shaver at the start of the year and I am never going back.

Slippers? I have a disgustingly stained pair of driving shoe type loafers which have served as my house footwear for over a decade now.

Baths? Fat chance with a baby and a four year old. Leap in the shower double quick

Pyjamas in the street? Contemptible. I'm talking to you, woman who I saw last Saturday in pyjamas, an open dressing gown and flip flops wandering up the High Street towards the Tesco Metro as I drove past at gone 10.00. Bad form.

Comment

Jah Womble wrote: A friend of mine is adamant that espadrilles are 'the worst thing ever invented'.

Who'd have thought beach footwear could prove so divisive, eh?
                                          I'm down with being down on shit shoes. Espadrilles probably make the top five worst list. Flip flops, Toms, Keds, those hideous China flats. Basically anything that's just bits of canvas sewn together at the seams.

Comment

What type of electric have you had success with, Egg old man?

I've dabbled with electric a few times and never found anything that didn't feel like I was using an orbital sander on my face.

Comment

I've never used a decent electric.

Philips beard trimmer for short stubble; Merkur safety razor for baby's arse cheeks.

Comment

Stumpy Pepys wrote: I've never used a decent electric.

Philips beard trimmer for short stubble; Merkur safety razor for baby's arse cheeks.
                                                Why would you need to shave a baby's arse? Just how hairy were you as a baby?

Comment

Pat McGatt wrote:
                                                  Originally posted by Three Times A Reddy
                                                  Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos
                                                  If you're so old no one could conceivably think you're a hipster, beards are OK.

They can also make you look younger. There's some kind of facial hair dateline you pass at around sixty.
                                                  Without my face fungus I'd look about 12. Even with it, I'm taken for several years younger than 32 (which is weird considering my rapidly going salt-and-pepper hair, eyebags and furrowed brow).
                                                  You seem to have a case of the Gary Lineker.
                                                  I've got a dodgy toe...

...it's got a corn on it.

Comment

WOM wrote: What type of electric have you had success with, Egg old man?

I've dabbled with electric a few times and never found anything that didn't feel like I was using an orbital sander on my face.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X