No announcement yet.

A Well Regulated Militia . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am so relieved that he was acquitted. The idea that someone should voluntarily sacrifice themselves for the greater good should be part of any job description is appalling. The idea that it should come with such a pitiful salary is laughable as well. The idea they should send people to prison for not refusing to walk into a hail of bullets feels like an idea from the WWI military and should have been long since abandoned.

Comment

I wholeheartedly agree with you both. I can only imagine the emotional and intellectual suffering this poor bastard has endured - entirely self inflicted - on top of the abuse and this trial. Now will come the myriad lawsuits, I fear.

Comment

People need to stop thinking about cops as heroes and more as mailmen or dogcatchers with a gun. Just a regular-ass civil servant collecting a paycheck.

Comment

Cops protect property, not people.

Castle Rock v. Gonzalez
          https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Town_o...ck_v._Gonzales

Excellent podcast on the case
          https://radiolab.org/podcast/no-special-duty

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
            I am so relieved that he was acquitted. The idea that someone should voluntarily sacrifice themselves for the greater good should be part of any job description is appalling. The idea that it should come with such a pitiful salary is laughable as well. The idea they should send people to prison for not refusing to walk into a hail of bullets feels like an idea from the WWI military and should have been long since abandoned.
            You summed up my thoughts in a much more succinct way so thanks.

Comment

It’s a circular problem. If cops don’t protect people, the people have all the more reason to assume they need to protect themselves with guns.

Comment

Cops protect people just fine (well, certain classes of people). That is a cop's job. Protecting people doesn't mean blindly marching into a hail of bullets. There are many elements of protection that come before the idiot hero sacrificing themselves pointlessly but heroically in order to not get vilified by the general public for being a lily-livered coward who stood aside during a massacre.

Comment

Originally posted by Cal Alamein View Post
                  Cops protect property, not people.
                  That's what they are for. Property, and people of property.

Comment

A long holiday weekend of bloodshed has intensified after a heavily armed gunman in a bulletproof vest opened fire on the streets of Philadelphia on the eve of Fourth of July celebrations, in yet another mass shooting in the US, killing five people and wounding two boys before surrendering to the police.

Across the country, Texas was entering the holiday to news that another shooting had killed three people, in Fort Worth, occurring just before midnight amid a gathering in a parking lot that also wounded eight. Fourth of July is a US celebration. Why is it the riskiest day for mass shootings?

In Chicago, a total of five people were killed and at least 33 wounded in a rash of shootings across the city, coming one year after a shooter took seven lives at a Fourth of July parade in Highland Park, Illinois, near Chicago.

Highland Park’s mayor, Nancy Rotering, has planned a musical performance, a moment of silence and a walk along the parade route on Tuesday afternoon to mark the 2022 mass shooting.

Also, police in Kansas on Tuesday said 11 people were hurt over the weekend when a gunman opened fire inside a Wichita nightclub.

The burst of gun violence and the prospects of more shootings as the day of parties unfolded threatened to overshadow Independence Day celebrations, underpinned with evidence that 4 July is the riskiest day for mass shootings in the US calendar.

The Philadelphia violence was the country’s 29th mass killing in 2023, according to a database maintained by the Associated Press and USA Today in partnership with Northeastern University, the largest number on record by this time in the year.

The number of people killed in such events is also the highest by this time in the year.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                      Cops protect people just fine (well, certain classes of people). That is a cop's job. Protecting people doesn't mean blindly marching into a hail of bullets. There are many elements of protection that come before the idiot hero sacrificing themselves pointlessly but heroically in order to not get vilified by the general public for being a lily-livered coward who stood aside during a massacre.
                      I don’t disagree. Asking police to protect people doesn’t mean at all cost or in lieu of other public safety strategies.

They can, for example, try to enforce protection orders, for example.

Comment

Our university just sent out an email to remind everyone that, despite the new permitless concealed carry law, which came into effect on January 1st, it is still illegal to have a firearm on college and university premises. That's not very reassuring since I still have to get from my house to the university and lead a normal life outside those hours.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                          Our university just sent out an email to remind everyone that, despite the new permitless concealed carry law, which came into effect on January 1st, it is still illegal to have a firearm on college and university premises. That's not very reassuring since I still have to get from my house to the university and lead a normal life outside those hours.
                          I'd bet Governor McFascistface will push to prevent even private universities from having such rules.

Comment

It would prove that he's willing to kill the education system here, certainly causing a massive reduction in non-FL residents sending their kids here.

Comment

Hasn't he already proven that several times?

Certainly the evisceration of New College is in that spirit.

Comment

https://Twitter.com/cnn/status/1695572834779529230?s=61&t=xvOireV8JOIS_CpbTtDBow
                                Last edited by ursus arctos; 27-08-2023, 01:52.

Comment

Not shocking, unfortunately.
                                  Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 27-08-2023, 03:43.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                                    Not shocking, unfortunately.
                                    Starring "Sir Not Appearing in this Film"?

Comment

https://twitter.com/frankfigliuzzi1/status/1695628170525806916?s=12&t=xvOireV8JOIS_CpbTtDBow

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Profumo View Post

Starring "Sir Not Appearing in this Film"?
                                        Not sure how that relates. (Played by Michael Palin’s son, apparently.)

It’s not shocking because kids getting into fights at high school football games is as much a part of the tradition as the cheerleaders, band and parents working the concession stand.

It rarely leads to shootings or death, buy in America, increasingly, any kind of dispute, real or imagined, can lead to murder.

Comment

https://twitter.com/elmunc/status/1696689767520272756?s=42&t=wEV9llxd41xtrY6dfeBIsw

Comment

Well done.

Won’t matter.

North Carolina is a dumpster fire of a state.

We’re in the end times for this particular version of civilization.

As it turns out, this one was a one off. Grad student murdered his advisor and went home.

Given how easy it is to get a gun, I’m kinda surprised that does not happen more often.

https://www.unc.edu/discover/campus-...-caudill-labs/
                                            Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 30-08-2023, 03:21.

Comment

https://twitter.com/mjs_dc/status/1697253325237096706?s=12&t=xvOireV8JOIS_CpbTtDBow]

Comment

With the caveat that it's Malcolm Gladwell and, well it's Malcolm Gladwell, but the current series of the Revisionist History podcast is on this subject and it's really interesting (to my mind) as well of course being tragic and anger inducing

Comment

https://twitter.com/abc/status/1717347279089131856?s=12&t=xvOireV8JOIS_CpbTtDBow

Comment

Number is now 16.
                                                    They have security footage of the guy.
                                                    It’s exactly what you suspect.
                                                    I can’t say anything else that hasn’t been said eleventy billion times.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2023/10/25/u...ing/index.html
                                                    Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 26-10-2023, 01:49.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X