A Well Regulated Militia . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, I heard "San Bernardino" and thought "OTF". Probably the only reason I'd heard of it. Glad everyone (on here) is OK, even though more generally, things obviously aren't.

Of course I leapt from "multiple shooters" to "Islamic terrorists". If that's how I'm conditioned (i.e. to assume, without evidence) god knows what effect it has on some idiot much closer, with Fox news and a gun.

Horrible events, I just want to shuffle back into my hobbit hole ...

Comment

a guy called igor volsky at think progress has been doing some good tweeting this evening.

https://twitter.com/igorvolsky/status/672227782194307074

etc

Comment

The only named suspect so far is Syed Farook, who worked for the agency that was having the party at the facility and then returned with at least one other person and started shooting.

Even if this was a disgruntled employee, as we have seen with other shootings, the person's name and ethnicity will be bad news for a lot of other people here.

Comment

His partner has now also been named. Fuck me, Trump et al will have a field day. The only "positive" I can take from it is that it might increase Trump's poll lead and thus make Hillary a shoe-in in the Pres election.

Obama needs to make the speech of his life and say, "Calm the fuck down. It was just two people." He also needs to reiterate his point that the key factor here is the gun laws, not the ethnicity.

Comment

Some of my friends on FB went wild with the "white terrorism" stuff, and now look a bit foolish. It's always unwise to speculate about the motives before any evidence is in.

But yes, unfortunately, the suspects names will lead to much more nastiness against innocent people.

Comment

Like this, from Murdoch's New York paper

Comment

Satchmo, you're more hopeful that Trump would stand no chance in the election than I am.

Comment

Whereas the other tabloid here took a very different tack

Comment

Yeah, I think Clinton should win, but it's not impossible to imagine a scenario in which revelations of Clinton Foundation corruption or a health-scare coincide with an ISIS attack in the U.S. or something similar and push more people to Trump. I don't think it's likely, but President Trump is possible.

God, the Post is scum.

Comment

Don't sweat Trump, Inca. He's a carnival barker who appeals to a subset of Republicans and few Democrats. The sober Reps would rather stay home than vote for him or support Hillary. She'll take it if it comes down to him and her, which - I'm on the record as saying - it won't.

Comment

And great work from the Daily News. People are predictably trying to label it as anti-religious, but in fact it's anti-hypocrisy. I don't begrudge regular citizens praying for the victims. But politicians who could actually do something about our gun problem? They can shove their thoughts and prayers up their asses.

Comment

"Terror eyed"? Semi-literate cunts.

Comment

Not on a technical level, but it's awful, ham-fisted language.

Comment

Green Calx wrote: Not on a technical level, but it's awful, ham-fisted language.
                              It is an awful, ham-fisted newspaper.

Comment

Surely there is nothing more quintessentially American than resolving a workplace disagreement by "going postal" and slaughtering your co-workers with semi-automatic assault rifles? In a grim measure of Assimilation I know, but in this era of daily mass shootings, it was going to happen at some point.

Comment

It so happens that I had the exact same thought, which is profoundly depressing.

Comment

I think the most depressingly quintessential American response I've seen to this are a couple of people wondering why they used such small gauge weapons for their massacre when bigger guns would have been more effective.

Comment

I wasn't able to read anything about this today. Fuck me, Farooz and his wife had a six-month old daughter that they left behind so they could do this? I just can't comprehend it. People say he left the party in anger, but clearly they had been preparing to do something. You don't just have that much ammo and a bomb ready without putting a lot of thought into it. And how was he able to convince his wife to take part in this? It's just so depressing.

Comment

Today I learned that a friend of a friend was killed in San Bernardino. This makes it the second time - after Sandy Hook. I had kept feeling that these attacks remain sufficiently rare and remote that they won't affect me, but the evidence is getting more and more as if that's wrong.

I don't know what else to say.

Comment

Fuck, SB. That's awful.

Comment

I just want to point out that the dollar euro rate is at an all time high, and we believe that anyone who wants to shoot anything bigger than,a rabbit is dangerously Ill.

Ireland also has to be pretty much the easiest country in the world for an American of any stripe to emigrate to. There's one legally held firearms for every twelve people. There are slightly fewer in the UK, but they're fussier about letting people in, the sterling rate is not as attractive, and you are probably going to want to stay in the eu.

I'm just putting it out there. The daytime weather ranges from 5 to about 17 degrees. It never gets hot but it never snows. It's the best place in the world to be a horse or a cow, and there are no snakes or even big spiders.

Oh and religion has no place in politics there are almost no religious people left and the most popular political figures in the country are our tiny bisexual president and a giant drag queen. I'm just throwing it out there that you are all welcome to move here.

Comment

My wife has found herself increasingly getting into arguments with gun advocates on Facebook who seem insistent on the fact that, somehow or other, greater gun restrictions will lead to more gun related deaths. The logical contortions that these people will put themselves through in order to justify their killing mechanisms are extraordinary, fascinating, and not a little bit frightening.

Comment

Quibble for TAB: the Euro is not at an all-time low, it was below US$ parity in its early stages.

Comment

Ah, those heady days of 2002.

I recall it hitting 86 US cents at one point.

Comment

Draghi's bringing them back!

Comment

Working...
                                                    X