No announcement yet.

An interesting thing I didn't know until today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Look, there's 85 pages of shit that people didn't know yesterday, so I'll not be feeling sheepish about this.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
      David’s sling was probably like this. Or, at least, that’s what they thought in the middle ages.
      Yeah that's what I think of when I hear slingshot. I strongly suspect that the middle ages lads were spot on, that has the look of a thing that achieved 95% of its optimal efficiency in the late mesolithic, if not earlier.

when I think of a catapult I think of Dennis the menace, and not the american one. Though i was confused when I encountered the game crossbows and catapults.

Comment

Crossbows and Catapults was awesome. I wish I still had my old set and/or they still made it.

Our idea of a catapult is like a trebuchet without the slingy part at the end.

Comment

A moustache is part of the beard. There is no such thing as "beard + moustache":

https://www.beards.org/terminology.php

Comment

This was actually discussed on the latest Kimber/Sundaresan podcast

Comment

Like WOM, I've never really thought about who David was, never knew he had a slingshot/catapult, and just assumed it was just some model or famous Medici dude called David just like Mona Lisa was some woman called Mona Lisa or ones with the pitchfork are Mr and Mrs A Gothic.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                Like WOM, I've never really thought about who David was, never knew he had a slingshot/catapult, and just assumed it was just some model or famous Medici dude called David just like Mona Lisa was some woman called Mona Lisa or ones with the pitchfork are Mr and Mrs A Gothic.
                actually father and daughter

Comment

Not necessarily

The models were Wood's dentist and Wood's sister

https://www.artic.edu/articles/781/a...-top-five-faqs

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                    A moustache is part of the beard. There is no such thing as "beard + moustache":

https://www.beards.org/terminology.php
                    But there are beards without moustaches (and obviously, more commonly, moustaches without beards). So how does that work

Comment

I agree with AH here. They are separate. One does not imply the other.

The Amish do beards without a mustache because in Germany when they left, mustaches were associated with the military and police.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                        Yes, the statue lacks the wooden support

USians reserve catapult for a device of the size and type used in a siege

Goliath discovers that David fights dirty.

Comment

Montreal's flag is surprisingly, erm, consensual:

Comment

Errrrr....

Comment

The tree was only added recently and represents the First Nations who were there before any of the colonists

And when it was first adopted in the 30s, there was a beaver where the fleur de lis is now,

Which speaks volumes about the city's history.

Comment

Montréal was, and still is, significantly more anglo than almost anywhere else in La Belle Provence. 80% of anglophones in the province live in the city
                                Last edited by Amor de Cosmos; 27-05-2023, 21:34.

Comment

Especially in terms of economic and cultural influence

Though there has been a tangible shift since the PQ took power in the province

Comment

For sure

Comment

The beaver makes sense. They speak French.

I learned/realized today that Johnny Carson has now been off the air longer than he was on The Tonight Show. (1962-92).

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
                                        Montreal's flag is surprisingly, erm, consensual:

No dragon though. They missed a trick there.

Although beavers are Canadian dragons or so I've heard.

Comment

I'd prefer a dragon but a daffodil would tie in with the theme better.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                                            I just found out that people didn't know what the statue of David depicted.
                                            If I'd have thought about it at all, I might have assumed it was King David, he of Royal City fame.

Comment

Originally posted by Nurse Duckett View Post

If I'd have thought about it at all, I might have assumed it was King David, he of Royal City fame.
                                              That's the same David

Comment

See? So many random Davids knocking about...you're bound to get confused.

Comment

They're the same person. King David came from Bethlehem hence "Royal David's City"

Comment

And here I thought religious education was mandatory in the UK

This thread is reminiscent of my first year Art History course, where I was pressganged into explaining to my section mates who the figures in religious paintings were supposed to be, starting with "who is the Holy Family" and "what is a Saint".

Comment

Working...
                                                    X