An interesting thing I didn't know until today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WOM View Post
    But West Point even has a chess club....

https://www.westpoint.edu/military/d...ubs/chess-club
    They do now but in the past they felt it was a waste of time for recruits. Apparently.

The Ayatollah decreed it was un-Islamic as games are linked to gambling. The person who told me assumed it was also a personal dislike but chess has been seen as dodgy in Islam since almost the very beginning. One of Muhammad's successors thought chess pieces counted as "graven images".

Comment

MsD will probably be on to tell me that this is a load of cobblers, but I read recently that Adam Ant's military dragoons jacket, from his Prince Charming days ,was originally worn by David Hemmings in the 1969 version of The Charge of the Light Brigade.

Comment

Originally posted by scratchmonkey View Post
        The Eagles famously all hated each other back in the day as well and Don Henley could probably headline an Assholes of Rock concert.
        And yet he wrote and recorded Boys of Summer. So he can't be all bad.

Comment

For some reason, the executor of a will in Florida is called a personal representative.

Comment

The Bolivian city of El Alto (contiguous with, and just uphill from, La Paz) is home to an architectural movement heavily influenced by native tradition called neo-Andean. It appears to consist largely of making buildings look like Transformers.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
              I've just heard about Judith Love Cohen. She was an aerospace engineer who designed the Abort Guidance System for the Apollo moon missions, which played a massive part in getting the Apollo 13 astronauts home. When she retired she took a completely different tack, becoming a successful publisher of children's books.

Probably the least interesting part of her life is that she was the mother of actor Jack Black.
              She was working pretty much up to the moment of labour and they bringing her stuff from the hospital. The commitment of those apollo people was just scary

Comment

This website can tell you how to drop out of society. With cartoons.

https://www.wikihow.com/Drop-Out-of-Society
                Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 20-05-2023, 18:02.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                  Witch cartoons.
                  That typo got me all confused - I kept scrolling down waiting to see the pointy hats and broomsticks and familiars. It wouldn't have been too much of a stretch considering how surreal some WikiHows get.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post

That typo got me all confused - I kept scrolling down waiting to see the pointy hats and broomsticks and familiars. It wouldn't have been too much of a stretch considering how surreal some WikiHows get.
                    I apologize for the inconvenience! I’ll fix the typo so nobody else is led astray.

Comment

Freud's death seems to have been an assisted suicide (I found this out researching the similarities between his cancer and Martin Amis's).

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                        The Bolivian city of El Alto (contiguous with, and just uphill from, La Paz) is home to an architectural movement heavily influenced by native tradition called neo-Andean. It appears to consist largely of making buildings look like Transformers.
                        Wow, thanks for the tip, Sam. Just been looking at images of El Alto online, the architecture looks absolutely amazing.

Comment

Florence Nightingale, of lamp and Crimean War fame, was born in Florence.

Comment

She invented the polar area diagram.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                              She invented the polar area diagram.
                              What does this mean?

Comment

https://mathwomen.agnesscott.org/wom...htpiechart.htm

Comment

Huh. I'll need to stare at that a while.

Reminds me of a spider chart. They're supposed to visualize an idea but do nothing for me, clarity wise.
                                  Last edited by WOM; 22-05-2023, 00:29.

Comment

It's easier if you just think of it as a bar graph in the form of a pie chart.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                      Florence Nightingale, of lamp and Crimean War fame, was born in Florence.
                                      The first name Florence was unknown previously- subsequent Florences were called after Nightingale

her sister Parthenope was born in Naples, and was named after Parthenope, the Greek city that stood on the site.

This was destroyed sometimes in the 6th century BC- when it was refounded in 507 BC it was called Nea Polis- (New City) which became Napoli.
                                      Last edited by Nefertiti2; 22-05-2023, 08:01.

Comment

Originally posted by Evariste Euler Gauss View Post

Wow, thanks for the tip, Sam. Just been looking at images of El Alto online, the architecture looks absolutely amazing.
                                        Looks great, doesn't it? I came across it during a brief work break and only looked at the Wiki page, so didn't really have time to gain clarity on whether it's actual architecture as such or just sticking pretty fašades on generic square buildings. But I love the aesthetic.

Comment

Jean-Michel Basquiat (1988) predeceased Salvador Dali (1989)

Comment

Ah, you've seen that AI photo too.

Comment

That the South Island of New Zealand was once renamed as New Munster, by the man responsible for the infamous Treaty of Waitangi, who, as it transpires, was born in Waterford.

Comment

The last original member of the Bar-Kays, whom I saw on stage last night, had to identify the bodies of Otis Redding and his bandmates. In 1984, the guitarist in the group was murdered. Fortunately this was not a topic that was discussed at the gig.

Being as they were at Stax, the reconstituted Bar-Kays, with their two survivors from the original one, played on the seminal Isaac Hayes albums and at Wattstax (1972). I believe one or two were also flown to New York to play on Atlantic's Aretha albums, as Wexler had close (and rather exploitative) relations with Stax, and I imagine they crossed swords with the violent, abusive bastard Wilson Pickett at some point.

Comment

There are (at least) four species of butterfly that are found in Greenland

Comment

Originally posted by Discordant Resonance View Post
                                                    That the South Island of New Zealand was once renamed as New Munster, by the man responsible for the infamous Treaty of Waitangi, who, as it transpires, was born in Waterford.
                                                    look, I think that munster is lovely and scenic more than the next man, but this is inappropriate. It's still not as inappropriate as new south wales.
                                                    Last edited by The Awesome Berbaslug!!!; 22-05-2023, 23:25.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X