• Time
  • Show
Clear All

https://twitter.com/ArfonJ/status/1377379107604848640?s=19

Wtf?

Comment

Abolish the Welsh rugby team? Surefire votewinner that

Comment

Was it due to their early success that Wales has no independent cricket team?

Comment

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post

Is that genuine?

Comment

I know Holyrood announced that they wouldn't count until Friday, but presumably the Senedd is sticking with the traditional overnighter?

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post

Is that genuine?
              My first thought was it cannot be but from reading around the thread I've no reason to doubt it now.

Comment

I don't believe it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post

My first thought was it cannot be but from reading around the thread I've no reason to doubt it now.
                  If it is/was genuine, there doesn't appear to be any sign of it on their account.

Comment

And the party leader denies it in the replies to the tweet. It would be a nonsensical policy to advocate for anyone who wants to win votes in Wales.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                      Was it due to their early success that Wales has no independent cricket team?
                      In short it's 32% true,

Like Rugby League in Wales the real heyday of Abolish the Welsh Assembly Party was in the Jazz Age and it was thanks to their policy of civil disobedience that Wales' bid to win First Class Cricket Status was denied. Consequently Wales stayed as a minor counties competition county, and I should know. my Mum went to school with the sister of its erstwhile minor counties captain.

Therefore just like the legal realm of our sainted binational paradise Welsh 1st Class cricketers are / were / will ever be subsumed by the wily grip of Lord's and their famous anti-Welsh mafia.

When they deign to pick Welsh players they either deliberately injure them on duty like Simon Jones or else they make them sit in the corner of the changing room and wear an "I am Druid, I speak Rubbish. Ignore Me!" placard like Huw Morris or Robert Croft, If you choose not to believe this ask yourself why the national team is called "England" rather than "England & Wales"? If you ask me England & Wales just sounds better, especially as the Barmy ArmyTM noted hilarity might not scan as easily.

Honestly the England team coming over here, offering us a once in a few years chance to experience an international cricket match that will be called off in the Welsh fine drizzle, and believe me it is fine drizzle, the best mountain distilled drizzle there is.

Incidentally I once visited a deserted Sophia Gardens just to say I've been there, as I sat there drinking in the half-completed stand redevelopment I couldn't help but pay my own little tribute to Antonioni's Blow Up. I visualised leather on burned grass, then leather on willow, the shouts of the captain rearraging his fielders, I saw a bowler limber up. I went for my train after the third wide in a row.

Comment

You can't doubt anything that's in the post above, I've just got the gig as the latest cultural commentator on Radio Wales.

I shall be hosting my phone in show from deep within the heart of Llandudno's Celebrated Quartier Culturel (the repurposed "artisanal chipboard district").

Comment

That bit of Abolish's policy statement has been circulating on Twitter for a while now. I don't particularly want to visit their website to check it out. I have a feeling it was an early policy and got junked when they realised how badly it would go down with their target demographic.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                            That bit of Abolish's policy statement has been circulating on Twitter for a while now. I don't particularly want to visit their website to check it out. I have a feeling it was an early policy and got junked when they realised how badly it would go down with their target demographic.
                            It's difficult to see anything on their website because there isn't much on it. There's a volunteer link to click, a donate link to click and some quotes. There are certainly no policies or positions and definitely no manifesto.

Comment

Thanks for that excellent post, Kowalski. Cheered me up a bit.

Comment

The Greens are going pro-Indy.

https://twitter.com/WalesOnline/status/1379412551759450120?s=19

Comment

The big Tory push at the moment is "no more politicians" ie not increasing the number of Senedd members. The proposed increase would cost everyone knows Wales ?3.87 per year. A fraction of what people living in Wales pay towards Trident or the HS2 project that has fuck all to do with Wales.

Comment

I had to explain to someone who hadn't voted in a Senedd election before that you can vote for the same party in the constituency vote and the list vote. They thought you had to vote for different parties. Turns out they were confused by a Plaid Cymru leaflet that was urging tactical voting.

Comment

See Abolish's one AS has left the party
                                      Edit one of two, sorry
                                      Last edited by Bizarre Löw Triangle; 07-04-2021, 07:29.

Comment

What? I missed that.

Edit: Seems odd that he is running as an "Independent" now. He's had quite the career. Elected as UKIP in 2016, won their leadership battle in 2018, then joined Abolish as the other Kippers joined the Brexit Party, then splitting from ATWAP* a month before the next election.

*this is what the BBC have decided to use as shorthand and it amuses me.
                                        Last edited by Patrick Thistle; 07-04-2021, 07:34.

Comment

I'd like to see a rule come in that one can elected you can't switch allegiance to a different party without having to stand for re-election. The problem is most of the people who swap seem to have been elected off the regional list so that becomes a bit messy with regard to the other Senedd members elected off the list. And you can't really just vote for one list MS because then it turns it into a First Past the Post style system.

Comment

There's a diagram I've seen that tracks the switching allegiances of the right wing Senedd Members. I wonder if it was shared on here or if I just saw it on Twitter. Will try and dig it out.

Comment

What? I missed that.

Edit: Seems odd that he is running as an "Independent" now. He's had quite the career. Elected as UKIP in 2016, won their leadership battle in 2018, then joined Abolish as the other Kippers joined the Brexit Party, then splitting from ATWAP* a month before the next election.

*this is what the BBC have decided to use as shorthand and it amuses me.
                                              For someone who is running on a 'there's too many politicians' slate, he seems rather tenacious with his desire to remain an elected politician.
                                              Last edited by NHH; 07-04-2021, 08:36.

Comment

There was a big report last year recommending the number of Senedd members increases from 60 to either 80 or 90. It also wants to change the current regional list system to a Single Transferable Vote (STV) system. Fans of electoral reform might want to read the report.

Link to PDF:
                                                https://senedd.wales/laid%2520docume...452%2520-e.pdf

I'm not sure about STV. I remember looking at it during my Politics A-level and it has a few flaws. It can reduce tactical voting though and could result in more positive campaigning.

Comment

Originally posted by NHH View Post

For someone who is running on a 'there's too many politicians' slate, he seems rather tenacious with his desire to remain an elected politician.
                                                  It sounds like he's kicking off about not being top of the party list so is running elsewhere as an independent candidate in order to secure the "losing incumbent" payoff.

Comment

There was a big report last year recommending the number of Senedd members increases from 60 to either 80 or 90. It also wants to change the current regional list system to a Single Transferable Vote (STV) system. Fans of electoral reform might want to read the report.

Link to PDF:
                                                    https://senedd.wales/laid%2520docume...452%2520-e.pdf

I'm not sure about STV. I remember looking at it during my Politics A-level and it has a few flaws. It can reduce tactical voting though and could result in more positive campaigning.
                                                    If anything, I'd imagine it would increase tactical voting, as parties with ideological overlap continue preferences for each other down the ballot, or voters ruthlessly exploit local turf wars.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X