No announcement yet.

Tory Corruption thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

https://twitter.com/mikegalsworthy/status/1511763935258685450?t=RYUQ7O9FX-9Fvd6YcH4flg&s=19

Well, would you fucking believe it.

Comment

I'm afraid that this is massively unsurprising to those of us familiar with the "non-dom" regime.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
        I'm afraid that this is massively unsurprising to those of us familiar with the "non-dom" regime.
        Exactly. And it should be another nail in the Tory party coffin. But it won't be.

Comment

More likely to be a puncture to his leadership aspirations, which is probably behind it being reported.

Comment

Absolutely Positively

Number Ten must be short of knives given how often members of the Cabinet leave them in each other's backs

Comment

Nah, the cleaners are just very busy.

Comment

He is, as one of the replies said, a true snollygoster.

Comment

They have no made this worse (rather typically) by putting out a statement implying that she had no choice being a non-dom because of her Indian citizenship, which is absolute bollocks
                  One gets the sense that he doesn't really want to be PM

Comment

Possibly not. I think his pursuit of high-ish office is motivated more by the down-the-line defence of class interests that traditionally fires Tories. Osborne-ite class warrior in't he? Simple as.

Comment

I'm not even sure it is that ideological.

I get the sense that he has run the math on the net present value of the incremental benefit of having been PM as compared to having been Chancellor and concluded that it is just isn't worth it.

Comment

Which, one could argue, is quite ideological behaviour, betraying a very particular view of life, and the world

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                          I'm not even sure it is that ideological.

I get the sense that he has run the math on the net present value of the incremental benefit of having been PM as compared to having been Chancellor and concluded that it is just isn't worth it.
                          Or he wants to be prime minister but seems to have fucked up his chances, which were always going to recede when people started to take a closer look at him and realised how shit he was.

Comment

Are the Tory heartlands ready for a "tinted person" as British PM in any case?

Comment

That and Gove being an oily wee fish lipped Scot probably stand against them ever making it. Even if they are Murdoch's favoured choices.

Comment

https://twitter.com/arthistorynews/status/1511969087789973513?t=IRVIPEUPT9HpF8sPFvDNhQ&s=19

Having cake. Eating it. Rubbing the crumbs in your faces.

Comment

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1512197694940405760?t=5aqKj4Y7HeUm-oOEScf7fA&s=19

It's about to get worse for both of them; they've got US green cards meaning they should have been paying tax there until they cancelled them.

Comment

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post
                                    Oh, that address is a serviced office place that offers mail forwarding/registered addresses.

More pertinently, as out compliance team always says, you can't take anything on companies House at face value. Nothing is verified and there is no real punishment for adding false or mistaken information.

Comment

Originally posted by Levin View Post
                                      More pertinently, as out compliance team always says, you can't take anything on companies House at face value. Nothing is verified and there is no real punishment for adding false or mistaken information.
                                      This is hopefully changing soon(ish), though in typical Tory fashion they are outsourcing most of the verification to the very shell company-establishers that have been facilitating dodgy behaviour for decades.

Comment

https://twitter.com/Independent/status/1512110082850529285?t=jtiD2N5axE6tEXiRlmRgNw&s=19

No surprise I'm afraid.

Comment

The long game is perhaps even more important than the short game:

Akshata Murty: Chancellor's wife could save £280m in UK tax

Non-dom status "wears off" after 15 years and the person is subject to all tax requirements of a UK citizen - including on their estate.

But there is an exception for Indian citizens around inheritance tax....so Ms Murty could have her estate taxed there at zero upon her death, rather than in the UK at 40% - saving £280m on her £700m stake in the company founded by her father.

Comment

https://twitter.com/Steven_Swinford/status/1512455458858147841?t=XqrQ87dGzTnhPP8QVt499w&s=19

Comment

Of.voursr the real name of the "Green Card" is the "Permanent Resident Card"

Comment

If he was filing taxes, that seems like a bit of a non-issue then, unless there's some weird jingoistic problem with having foreign residency rights as a politician?

Comment

Most G7 countries would find it at least strange for a senior Cabinet official to be a Permanent Resident of a different country

Comment

This is probably one of my blind spots (possibly because of my own status). I don't go in for residency or even citizenship requirements for politicians. If people want to vote for a foreigner, let them.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X