Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best country to go on holiday to: the first debate; what's missing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S
    Tunisia
    Turkey (regime excepted)
    Tuvalu (flag excepted)

T
    USA (barely scratched the surface)
    Uruguay
    Vietnam

Comment

Wow, these are really hard groups.

Turkey - archaeology and food
      Tunisia - archaeology and food
      Taiwan - museums and food

The call of cricket in Trinidad & Tobago isn't quite enough to get into the top three. I would really like to see more of Ukraine but again, maybe when there is less war going on.

Uzbekistan - Literally top of my list of places to go on holiday, repressive state not withstanding.
      Vietnam
      USA

Yemen misses out on third place thanks to, you know, war.

Comment

Group S
        As I mentioned in the China section, back when Taiwan didn't have it's own entry, I've spent quite a lot of time in Taiwan. Don't really feel the need to rush back, though it is very pretty in places, and has some great food. Turkey has been my second favourite country that I've visited, after Japan, and I'd be quite excited to revisit. I haven't been to the Black Sea coast, but the rest is breathtaking. Clearly I've been to the UK, and it packs a lot of different sights and experiences into it. Of the rest, Tunisia, Turkmenistan, Uganda and Ukraine seem the most enticing.

Tunisia
        Turkey
        UK

Group T
        The USA is so vast, and varied, that there's much I have yet to see even though I've lived here for the last 30 years (to pick two extremes, I've never been to New York City or Alaska). Yemen would be amazing, but not now. Zambia is a strong contender, but falls I think to Uruguay (who would pick up bonus points for appearing to have a government that's not completely fucked up). Uzbekistan (silk road sites, primarily) and Vietnam (I don't know anyone who's been and has not loved it) are the overall winners here.

Uruguay
        Uzbekistan
        Vietnam

Comment

S

Taiwan
          Uganda
          UK - as I don't have a passport this is actually the only real option

A while ago I'd have voted for Tunisia as it has nice beaches and is cheap. However, on my last trip there one of the hotel staff slept with my girlfriend and ended up marrying her, so I went off the place

T

USA - not the popular bits, but the redneck bits.
          Venezuela - marginally better than Uruguay
          Vietnam

Comment

Group S

I love visiting Turkey.

The UK, despite being a crowded, damp, mossy rock, full of racists and run by a fascist sociopath, has a fair amount going for it

I guess Tunisia sneaks into third.

Group T

The US, despite being full of racists and run by a fascist moron, is one of the best places to go on holiday. There's just so much here, particularly if you love desert scenery and red rocks and all that jazz, which is really one of my favourite things.

Zambia, for southern Africa and Victorial Falls and, by all accounts, being a nice place to visit

And, like others, Uzbekistan for all the silk roads stuff. Samarkand and Bokhara and even Tashkent are such evocative names (although I am told Tashkent isn't quite the romantic silk road city these days)

Comment

Group S

There's barely anywhere left in the UK I haven't lived in or holidayed in. Even Bridgnorth. Plus it's an overcrowded, overpriced shithole populated by morons, racists or hipsters. Which is largely why I spend up to eight weeks a year getting away from it.

I've seen enough of Dubai and Abu Dhabi this year to last me a while, I would recommend the latter over the former though, especially Sir Bani Yas.

Turkey gets a vote, loved Ephesus last year and want to go to Istanbul. Tunisia's on my list just for finally getting there (we were going to go shortly before that nasty business on the beach). I've been to Kiev so last up I think for me will be Taiwan.

Group T

I have to put aside every reason not to visit and say the USA. I've only ever travelled the East Coast so there's a whole lot more to see. Uruguay I've always wanted to combine Buenos Aires with Montevideo on a two-stop break. And Vietnam is definitely on my list. Which is a quandary as I've always wanted to go to Victoria Falls, whichever of Zambia or Zimbabwe they're in; on this list though it misses out.
              Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 01-06-2020, 15:21.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
                There's barely anywhere left in the UK I haven't lived in or holidayed in. Even Bridgnorth. Plus it's an overcrowded, overpriced shithole populated by morons, racists or hipsters. Which is largely why I spend up to eight weeks a year getting away from it.
                Can you please clarify whether it's the UK or Bridgnorth specifically that you have the problem with?

Comment

Originally posted by pebblethefish View Post

Can you please clarify whether it's the UK or Bridgnorth specifically that you have the problem with?
                  Heh, the UK. I love a fry-up breakfast, a wander round some countryside and a night in the pub as much as anyone, but increasingly since about 2014 it's impossible to enjoy any of those things here on holiday without paying through the nose and running into some right wankers when you do.

Comment

Turkey : The last time I was there I spent all my time protecting my daughter from sleazos. But it's a European country I've yet to watch a match in, so it reluctantly gets included
                    Ukraine : I love Eastern Europe, and I've never attended a match in Ukraine. I'd probably base myself in Kiev, but go somewhere else for the football.
                    United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
                    :
                    Every year I plan to visit some of the Scottish islands. It's high time I followed it through.

----------------------------------
                    United States of America : I've no great notion to visit any of the big cities, but I'd like to try the south east, maybe South Carolina.
                    Uruguay : I'd planned to go there (as well as Argentina and Brazil) this Autumn - I'll be rearranging it for a years time
                    Vietnam : I'd take Mrs S. See if it lives up to the good reports I've heard about it. I'd also look forward to the food.
                    Last edited by Stobart; 01-06-2020, 17:40.

Comment

Group S

Taiwan. I'm curious to see which relics made their way out of the mainland with the Kuomintang. Also my Mandarin should hopefully help a bit here.

Turkey. Despite the street harassment, I really liked Istanbul and I'd like to explore more of the country.

Uganda. Great flag and I'd love to see mountain gorillas.

United Kingdom. I love travelling within the UK. I've still never been to Northern Island or the Isle of Skye, for two examples. I love the Peak District, the Lake District, the coastline, Scotland. Since I made a conscious decision to try and fly less, I've done more holidays within the UK and I'm rarely disappointed. My husband feels differently. He's never got used to the unpredictable and often rubbish weather.

I pick Taiwan, Turkey, UK.
                      ​​​​​

Comment

Group T

USA. Seems ridiculous that I've never been here. I nearly went via Miami and Chicago on my way in and out of South America in 2002, but our itinerary included Cuba so we were refused flights with American airlines (we were young and naive and didn't realise that would be an issue. The whole cold war, Cuban missile crisis stuff seemed like something from long ago). So we flew via Brazil instead. My mum travelled around the USA for a couple of months during her university summer holidays and I'd love to revisit the places she went to. Especially the grand canyon. The number of guns and crazy people scares me, but I'd still like to go.

Vanuatu. One of the guys that I taught with in Vietnam had spent a year teaching in Vanuatu for his gap year. His descriptions definitely make me curious to visit.

Vietnam. Amazing food. Loved Ho Chi Minh city. Source of regret that I didn't get a chance to visit any of the rest of the country.

That's my top three. USA, Vanuatu, Vietnam.

Comment

tobago is the best place ive ever visited. rain forest, beaches, lovely people, great music, full employment, laid back vibe.

turkey never been

uk - lots of lovely backwaters i eant to explore

vietnam
                          venezuala
                          zambia

Comment

Group S:

Turkey - Istanbul is great, need to see more of the Asian side (of the city and the country). Love the food - fish sandwiches by the Bosphorus are not to be missed

UK - taking the van down to Cornwall or the Devon coast for a few days will never get boring esp. around Porthtowan and along the north coast. Need to go North Wales and Scotland (Highlands plus Glasgow and Edinburgh) in the van ideally. Northern Ireland too. Also some of the Tea Time Isles especailly Bermuda which is my mum is from. Went back briefly for a funeral five years ago but would like to go back for one last proper look around. And Pitcairn, although it seems cursed, would be an interesting 48 hours.

Ukraine - Kiev looks impressive so why not.

Group T:

USA - NY, West Coast, Wyoming and the national parks and a, was supposed to be this year but now hopefully next, Road Trip with my best mate (Dallas, Ozarks, Memphis, Nashville, Carolinas, Savannah and a bit of Florida is the provisional plan).

Zimbabwe - a test match in Harare and a trip overland to Victoria Falls (which I'll have to see from the Zim side to avoud having to include Zambia)

​​​​​​​Vietnam - another SE Asian gem that sounds like a must see

Comment

Group S:

Trinidad and Tobago
                              Tunisia
                              Turkey

Group T:

Uruguay
                              Uzbekistan
                              Zambia

I've never been to any of these.

I was supposed to go to Uzbekistan with a suitcase full of banknotes in 1992 or so (business for my husband) but it didn't happen, which is probably why I'm not writing this from an Uzbeki jail.

Comment

Originally posted by MsD View Post
                                Group S:

I was supposed to go to Uzbekistan with a suitcase full of banknotes in 1992 or so (business for my husband) but it didn't happen, which is probably why I'm not writing this from an Uzbeki jail.
                                ???

Comment

Is best not ask.

Comment

I just had a Google, because I didn't have a clue, really, it just appealed to my secret agent fantasy to go off to Samarkand and deliver a ridiculous amount of money. My husband formed a company with the Mayor of Samarkand at the time, importing and exporting loads of Uzbeki pottery, which as you know is renowned the world over but really, who knows. I was quite disappointed when he said "it's not happening now". I used to look wistfully at pictures of that blue temple.

I just looked up who the Mayor was to see if I could find a picture (to confirm that it was the bloke who came around our flat) and I can't, but I found his name.

Comment

Group S:

Trinidad and Tobago
                                      Turkey
                                      Ukraine. Met some Ukrainians and they've been friendly.

Group T:

USA. I would love to visit some of the wilderness areas.
                                      Uruguay. Heard only good things.
                                      Vietnam
                                      Last edited by Sporting; 02-06-2020, 05:43.

Comment

S: Trinidad & Tobago, Turkey, UK

Tunis has one of my favourite souks and plenty to see elsewhere, but I’m in danger of overloading North Africa. Unlike the Xmas version, you can never get enough of Turkey. I couldn’t leave out the UK because every year we take at least 2 breaks here (usually 1 city based and 1 rural) as well as visit family in Pembs - one of the best coastlines in the world. Always fancied T&T for a lazy holiday but still not been.

I’ve been to Ashgabat and seen the silly statue of the old leader that rotates to face the sun. Saw little all else of interest unless you enjoy totalitarian architecture. I had far too many work trips in the UAE, and this was before it got really blingy. Fujarah province was pleasant enough, but I wouldn’t rush back.

T: USA, Uzbekistan, Vietnam

I could have picked all 9 here. In fact, if anyone wants to pay for my 3 month trip, I’ll happily go to the one of your choosing (ok, not Yemen right now, sadly).
                                        But I had to decide which to drop, and I did.

Comment

Most of the regulars have got their votes in, so just giving these groups a couple of hours more.

Comment

Trinidad and Tobago sounds good

Turkey; a friend has a holiday home there and raves about the place

UK ; only ever been to the big cities ,I'd like to see more.

USA; like the UK above, so much I want to see

Vietnam; sounds amazing

Zambia; wildlife

Comment

S

United Kingdom - have still not explored that much of it to say I've had nearly 50 years. Norfolk,Devon, Hampshire, Kent, Northern Ireland and most of Scotland are places that I've not been to, or only passed through. It has to go in.

Ukraine - the people seem to be like the moody Polish that I'm used to.

Turkey - never been, very popular with friends and colleagues.

T

Uzbekistan - I seem to have picked all the 'stans
                                              Venezuela - politics, women
                                              Vietnam

Comment

What's with the laydeez in Venezuela, then?

Comment

Group S:
                                                  Turkmenistan - to see the Gates of Hell
                                                  Ukraine - I'd love to visit Crimea
                                                  United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland - lockdown measures apply

Group T:
                                                  Uzbekistan - always wanted to visit Samarkand since my mum bought me a book on the silk road
                                                  Yemen - I had my visit there cancelled three times due to various assassinations. A friend learned Arabic in Sana'a and says it's breathtaking
                                                  Zimbabwe - never been, every one I know who has visited says it's stunning.

Comment

Group S:

Turkey 16
                                                    United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland 13
                                                    Tunisia 7
                                                    Trinidad and Tobago 6
                                                    Ukraine 5
                                                    Taiwan 4
                                                    Turkmenistan 1
                                                    Tuvalu 1
                                                    Uganda 1
                                                    United Arab Emirates 0

Group T:

Vietnam 14
                                                    United States of America 13
                                                    Uzbekistan 9
                                                    Uruguay 7

Zambia 4
                                                    Venezuela 3

Zimbabwe 2
                                                    Vanuatu 1
                                                    Yemen 1

I now need some time to sort out the next stage. Watch this space.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X