Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best country to go on holiday to: the first debate; what's missing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

O

Romania - Transylvania and all that

Russia - history, scenery, vastness

Saint Lucia I have a St Lucian colleague and from her photos, descriptions it looks good

P - not a strong group

Sierra Leone - Freetown is Hull's twin town (slavery abolition link), hopefully it's a bit nicer

Slovenia - scenery

Singapore - it's a favourite destination of Mrs D's Aussie relatives, and I don't think I've yet picked a South East Asian destination

Comment

O

Russia - as already said, I love and miss the place

Rwanda - I worked online with people in Kigali last year and it looks like an interesting place

St Lucia - have been there and loved it

P

Serbia - Belgrade looks lovely

Seychelles - beaches

Sao Tome and Principe - curiosity, and as it's an island, it must have beaches

Comment

Group O
        All the island nations are attractive, but only in a middling way. Rwanda would be interesting, and different to anywhere I've already been to. But it has to be the larger European countries:
        Portugal
        Romania
        Russia

Group P
        I visited Slovenia once when it was still part of Yugoslavia, and I was very young, and once on a work trip. I did get to spend a free day in Ljubljana on the latter, and would be interested in seeing more of the country. Slovakia would rank fairly decently on my list of potential destinations. I certainly wouldn't mind going to Singapore, but see it more of a stopover on going to somewhere else than a destination in its own right. All the African countries seem interesting, as does Saudi Arabia (even more so), but I think SA is another country disqualified by its government.
        My 3:
        Senegal
        Slovakia
        Sierra Leone

Comment

Group O:

Portugal, in particular the north. We stayed in a friend's flat in Braga some years ago. Braga itself is nothing special, apart of course from its amazing football stadium carved out of rock in a former quarry, but there are many very interesting towns in the area, such as Guimaraes, Ponte de Lima and the Parque Nacional Peneda – G?res. The food in the restaurants we went to was invariably excellent; the region has a reputation for cod dishes which I enjoyed along with the local vinho verde.
          Romania (have met some nice people from here)
          Rwanda (echoing some of the comments above)

Group P:

Not overly inspiring, as others have said, but:

Slovenia
          Slovakia

Sao Tome and Principe

Last edited by Sporting; 30-05-2020, 07:22. Reason: Vote change

Comment

Originally posted by MsD View Post

Sao Tome and Principe - curiosity, and as it's an island, it must have beaches
            Indeed it does and the food looks brilliant too:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuisin..._Pr%C3%ADncipe

Plenty of excellent hiking, too.

http://www.hikingsaotome.com/allhikes.html

You've made me change my vote.
            Last edited by Sporting; 30-05-2020, 07:30.

Comment

O

Portugal
              St Lucia
              Samoa

P

Seychelles
              Singapore
              Slovenia

Comment

Group O:

I lived in Porto for 3 years, and saw much of the north (as well as other parts). A few years ago I took my family and we toured the country which reminded me how much I love it. We'd definitely go back. Love travelling round Romania, and indeed we may well do that with our holiday this year, there's a lot to see - various mountains (I'd like to visit the Apuseni and the Retezat this year), the Danube Delta, the monasteries of Bucovina, the Szekely area, the Saxon area, the "iron gates", some great medieval towns and cities (Sibiu, Brasov, Sighisoara, especially, but i also love Oradea). However, I live here so doesn't exactly feel like the exotic holiday that other places might feel. Russia is vast and there must be amazing places to see. I've only ever been to Moscow. I reckon Rwanda must be beautiful, especially being in among the Great Lakes. Kivu I think is the one in Rwanda. Samoa would be great, but I haven't chosen many Caribbean islands yet, so I'll go with Saint Vincent (through a random pick really as I know nothing about it)

Portugal, Russia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines

Group P:

I've been to the Seychelles and it is just as gorgeous and picture perfect as you imagine. I'd be happy to go back and just chill for weeks. Saudi Arabia would be interesting but the big draw for me - Mecca and parts of Medina - would be inaccessible to me, and the rest of the country, save for the vast dunes, are uninteresting. Nearly went to Senegal last year, and wish I had, so I'll choose that. And Slovenia is wonderful, and I'd be delighted to go back and see more.

Seychelles, Senegal, Slovenia

Comment

PS Also if anyone of you people who said you'd like to go to Romania want a place to stay, you're very welcome here. In fact that also applies to those who didn't choose Romania)

PPS I mean that.

Comment

Group O

I can wholeheartedly recommend St Lucia (over and above the other two) as the Caribbean destination of choice in the group. It's by far the most developed and has the iconic Pitons for the holiday photos, or the bay where Dr Doolittle was filmed. Only reason it's not on my list is I've been there.

Qatar, like its neighbours, is a fascinating mix of old world and jaw dropping opulence. But it's basically a massive urban motorway. Like Leeds, with ten times as much money.

San Marino anyone would fall in love with. Literally on top of a mountain like some fairytale. But, you know, been there and got the T-shirt.

So my choices have to be Russia, Samoa and Portugal. The latter gets my pick over Romania only on basis of food.

Group P

Singapore is possibly my favourite place in the world. Straight to the top. Where you can literally walk between India, China, Malaysia, Arabia, Colonial Britain and the modern West in one day, before going off to a zoo in the jungle at night.

I have to include Serbia just as it's somewhere I've not been. I have been to both Slovakia and Slovenia. The Italians joke about the Slovenes like the English joke about the Irish, saying they eat their horses, and I thought this was a joke until I went to Ljubljana and discovered that their version of KFC is actually called Hot Horse and literally sells horseburgers. Lake Bled, truly, is one of the most beautiful places on Earth.

Saudi's not an option so it's a choice of African destinations and just because of the wow factor I'll go to the Seychelles.
                    Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 30-05-2020, 08:52.

Comment

P: Portugal, Romania, Russia

Q: Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia

No new countries picked from these groups, but I could happily return and while away time touring these countries, hopping between cities and exploring the countryside.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                        PS Also if anyone of you people who said you'd like to go to Romania want a place to stay, you're very welcome here. In fact that also applies to those who didn't choose Romania)

PPS I mean that.
                        And in case you need convincing here's the barn in our garden which we converted into a place for guests. Sleeps 4 pretty comfortably. You could even refer to it as a cabine and imagine living like OTF's most glamorous member.

(except in a village in the middle of nowhere rather than London)

Comment

Blimey, that’s twice the size of my gaffe

Comment

Fuck, that looks inviting.

Comment

st Kitts - as its where my wife’s family is from and it sounds and looks amazing. Still haven’t persuaded her to take me there.

Portugal - amazing and interesting and still great value. Porto port house tour has to be in the top 20 all time great ways to spend an afternoon.

Romania to stay in ad hoc’s cabin.

slovakia = the butt of jokes from my Czech friends but even they say it’s lovely

slovenia - hidden backwater I’ve heard

senegal - amazing music

Comment

Wow, it's not made of gingerbread is it?

Comment

I think this poll has been compromised by everyone now wanting to go and be Hansel and Gretel at ad hoc's. You know what happened to them, don't you?

Comment

Precarious-looking satellite dish, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
                                      I think this poll has been compromised by everyone now wanting to go and be Hansel and Gretel at ad hoc's. You know what happened to them, don't you?
                                      Actually they got away.

Comment

ad hoc that’s very kind, and it looks great; even a ping-pong table. Kids would fight over the little upstairs room with the square window.

Comment

There is only one room really. It's all open plan. That window at the top is just the one window in the area where there are beds. (when we tell people it sleeps 4 it would have to be a family of 4 or 4 adults who are pretty close)

Mind you I can see that Sporting is already looking for an insurance claim angle,so I may have to put a gate at the top of the stairs

Comment

He hasn’t spotted the dartboard yet. Fraught with risk.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                              or 4 adults who are pretty close
                                              Happy days! Do you supply the other three adults?

Comment

No, BYOA

Comment

Transylvanian Swinging Cabin Breaks are the hot new trend.

Comment

Group O:

Qatar is an oil-fuelled dump. Rwanda is genuinely lovely and you can see gorillas, but I go there with work. The Saints - meh. Samoa - I was the lisison person for the Samoan Sevens team for three years in Dubia - would love to visit some old friends. Portugal - love to go, never been yet, love sardines. Russia - Trans Siberian railway, obvs. I've been to Romania - cycled from Timisoara to Sighisoara - really lovely. So -

Portugal
                                                    Russia
                                                    Samoa

Group P:

I have been to Seychelles, got taken round the island by a policeman and it took 75 minutes. Full of rich, obnoxious Russians. We may have conceived our first-born in Ljubljana, so Slovenia is a romantic choice. Sierra Leone - intense poverty but beautiful country. I was there a while back, and I'd like to return. I've been to the Gambia, but not Senegal - I hear it's great.

Senegal
                                                    Slovenia
                                                    Sierra Leone
                                                    Last edited by Vicarious Thrillseeker; 30-05-2020, 12:19. Reason: pigs tits for fingers

Comment

Working...
                                                    X