Covid-19 pandemic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post

if in any doubt as to whether or not you have COVID-19, catch all coughs and sneezes in a tissue and wash your handy thoroughly after you've disposed of it.
    You need to be doing that anyway, whatever your state of doubt or otherwise.

Comment

Our "gym" is a small privately owned enterprise that focuses on small group workouts, usually three or four people. They've been tailoring the daily workouts to use fewer items of equipment but remain open. I went this morning, because it feels relatively safe (I wouldn't be in an LA Fitness type gym). I don't know how much longer they'll be open. The two owner-coaches have been creating programs that people can do at home with body-weight or limited equipment, and making sure that the daily workout changes enough so you don't get bored. I think even if we stop going, we'll continue paying our subs - partly because we can afford it, and the gym and the owner are going to be in trouble anyway; and partly because they're doing what they can to keep us moving when trapped at home. We're trying, where we can, to keep using small and local businesses because they're going to feel the pinch first, and hardest, and tipping a little higher than before for all the people in the service industry who're both going to be hurting and are also more vulnerable due to their increased interactions with others. I understand that we're in a very privileged position financially to be able to do this for the time being. But as we're in this privileged position, it would feel wrong to not do it.

Comment

[URL]https://twitter.com/wvschaik/status/1239666255017267202?s=21[/URL]

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post

There's a "not" missing somewhere there, no?

It appears absolutely their desire to protect the insurance industry at the expense of the entertainment/hospitality industries at all levels. How many major insurers are Tory party donors, I'm forced to ponder.
          I figure that is a side benefit, rather than the main one. Which is absolutely, completely and utterly avoiding making a decision on anything in case it comes back and bites them on the arse. And it will take something extraordinary for the media to turn on them for it. This is a Government full of people who have got where they are by being who they are, class, wealth, privilege, not actually doing anything, So having to do something is complete anathema to them.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post

There's a "not" missing somewhere there, no?

It appears absolutely their desire to protect the insurance industry at the expense of the entertainment/hospitality industries at all levels. How many major insurers are Tory party donors, I'm forced to ponder.
            How many Lloyds names went to Eton , Winchester, Oxford?

Comment

Our gym is in our building, is limited to residents and has no staff, but it has emptied.

Sicily has suspended all ferries to the mainland, including those that carry or connect with trains. The only way to get off the island using public means is to use one of two flights a day to each of Rome and Milan.

Comment

https://twitter.com/BillNeelyNBC/status/1239669547331878915

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                  Spot the flaw in this Tweet. Fucking hell, Weiss:

[URL]https://twitter.com/michaeldweiss/status/1239650523663544323[/URL]
                  I didn't spot it, what was it?

Comment

[URL]https://twitter.com/hancocktom/status/1239669605586604032?s=21[/URL]

Comment

So this is the strategy they floated, then denied having. And now...

I mean, really.

Comment

I didn't spot it, what was it?
                        He overlooked 9/11

Comment

13 (THIRTEEN) members of the Bolsonaro delegation who went to Mar a Lago last week have now tested positive.

Bolsanaro himself is now being re-tested.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                            13 (THIRTEEN) members of the Bolsonaro delegation who went to Mar a Lago last week have now tested positive.

Bolsanaro himself is now being re-tested.
                            It's the hope that kills you.

Comment

He overlooked 9/11
                              And several thousand other bad days, for that matter

Comment

The horrible thing about that is that all these fascist politicans who got together at Mar a Lago will get great treatment and therefore take treatment away from people who aren't fascist cunts. None of them are going to die a horrible death, they'll just suck up resources from decent people.

Comment

https://twitter.com/hancocktom/status/1239669605586604032

Comment

He overlooked 9/11
                                    Oh. Yeah. Christ. Sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                      Everything I have read stresses a relatively high fever as the prime indicator

ms ursus has been coughing for weeks, but it has its origins in acid reflux (and now stress)
                                      its the fever and temperature ill be taking as an indicator-I work shifts,including plenty of nights,so always seem to have coughs etc so they don't fuss me mutch

Comment

This is helpful detail as to how San Francisco's "shelter in place" directive will work

What is staying open? Grocery stores, food banks, pharmacies, restaurants for takeout food and delivery only, veterinary services, pet-food stores, gas stations, auto repair shops, hardware and other home-supply stores and home repair services, banks and laundry services. Child-care facilities are allowed to remain open as long as rules limiting the size and composition of the groups are restricted. Residential care facilities for adults, children and seniors will remain open as will food banks and other non-profits that serve the needy. Delivery services that take food, goods or services directly to residences are allowed to operate.

Comment

Do we know how will they police people going to only those locations and not going out on jollies?

If San Diego goes into that kind of lockdown (and I think it's only a matter of time), I'm going to go stir crazy from not exercising outdoors - hiking or cycling. Our giant stash of edibles leftover from many parties past might end up getting depleted.

Comment

The French and Italians have been stopping people and asking them to justify their being out.

Comment

As Ursus linked to earlier, 6 Bay Area counties (including San Mateo, mine) have been ordered to shelter in place from midnight tonight.
                                              According to the LA Times, San Francisco's health officer "emphasized that there would be some give in the stay-at-home directive. 'You will still be able to walk your dog, or go on a hike alone or someone you live with.'"
                                              Which makes me a little uncertain about what's allowed - based on my reading it would be fine for me to take the kids up to the cemetery and walk around near my wife's grave with the hope that I won't be joining her any time soon, which is something I've been wanting to do once the weather cleared up.

In other news, I have realized that when she's stuck at home my daughter eats way more fruit than I gave her credit for, so had to go to the grocery store today. My report is that fresh produce was, on the whole, well represented (potatoes were getting low, and there didn't seem to be any cauliflower). Milk was well stocked. Bread was down to the less attractive ones. Pasta and pasta sauce was entirely cleared out, as was apple sauce and the like, flour, the majority of the cookies and the cheaper olive oil. Didn't check the toilet paper aisle, but the woman 2 in front of us at the check out had a 12-pack of one of the good-for-the-planet brands that are not at all gentle on your posterior, so they at least had that. There were also extremely long lines, and most people were pushing over-filled trolleys.
                                              The whole how-long-coronavirus-survives on a surface thing did cross my mind while doing this.
                                              The online grocery delivery service I've used before is booked through till Sunday, and there was very little available even then (dates were the only fruit, cabbages and swede (rutabaga) the only vegetables.

Comment

When the Irish Catholic hierarchy is more tech savvy than the CoE:

https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1239678618697109505

Comment

The counties are Marin, San Francisco, San Mateo, Santa Clara, Alameda and Contra Costa, so Scratchmonkey as well and virtually all of our Bay Area family and friends (and more than 6.5 million others).

There was a statewide recommendation for those 65 and over to stay home yesterday, so my Jungian therapist brother in law is scrambling to do sessions by video.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post

You need to be doing that anyway, whatever your state of doubt or otherwise.

Absolutely.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X