No announcement yet.

Covid-19 pandemic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The governor of Ohio has closed all restaurants and bars as of 9 pm tonight.

Comment

Pritzker doing the same thing in Illinois as of tomorrow (though delivery and take out can remain open).

Comment

Yeah delivery/take out still an option here too.

Comment

Originally posted by anton pulisov View Post

I don't think I'll be getting much work done from home in the coming weeks.
          For those of us who regularly work from home, this whole thing feels strange because literally nothing about our work routine is changing, even though it feels like it should. I can't explain it. Last week was quieter than usual though, so that made it feel a little different.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
            The New York Archdiocese cancelled masses yesterday

They are streaming a "behind closed doors" mass from St Patrick's Cathedral and are also keeping churches open for prayer.

Anyone looking at the US reaction from abroad is getting a brutal introduction into just how fragmented public services and regulations are here.
            Given that the federal government is currently headed by an idiot, it may help that a lot of our health infrastructure is run by states and cities and that private enterprises like the pro sports leagues are taking the long view.

I feel better about our situation than the UK’s.

Comment

The Ohio action is particularly notable because DeWine is a Republican who has been generally pro-Trump

Comment

Yes. Governors tend to be more pragmatic.

It also shows just how incompetent Trump is. Past Republicans would have seen this as an opportunity to show leadership and look “presidential.” “Never let a good crisis go to waste.”

Bush did that and managed to gain a lot of support without really doing anything especially well. Trump can’t even manage that, so his move is to just make up easily refuted lies, downplay the problem, and spread ridiculous conspiracy theories.

Of course, Bush could *appear* to be effective because terrorism was never a major threat to most Americans anyway. But this virus really does threaten every community in the US, so it will be a lot harder to claim success without doing anything.
                Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 15-03-2020, 21:45.

Comment

I think the UK will crash out of the EU without a deal but the economies across Europe will be so fucked by then that all bets are off as to what policies each government will pursue by January 2021.

Comment

It certainly isn't the ideal context in which to promote the concept of self-sacrifice for the greater good

Comment

Well over 100 countries are now reporting new cases daily. There are 28 countries which have fewer than 800 cases, so are not in the news as much, but have more than 100 cases and growing.

Comment

There have been deaths reported in 47 different countries.

Comment

Supermarket update from 7:30 this morning: hours have been truncated to 7am-9pm, which makes 10pm shopping harder. Most of the shelves were full, still. Bread was depleted, but only the sliced packaged bread. Bread from the in-store bakery was largely untouched, and there were hot dog rolls and burger buns. Nobody had touched any fresh produce. Eggs were gone. Tinned soup depleted but not empty. Ramen completely gone. Rice was in short supply, some dried pasta had gone but store-brand was fine. Mac and cheese boxes completely vanished. Despite talk of meat being in short supply the fridge looked OK. Toilet paper, kitchen towels, and cleaners were looking super sparse.

The biggest thing that it was 7:30 when the store is normally deserted and it was pretty full. The check-outs were jammed full with long lines, and the people who were in the store had filled their baskets in preparation for that biblical plague where god removes all the ramen from suburban supermarkets.

Comment

It actually made me feel a bit better. I was a little nervous after seeing lots of photos of empty aisles on social media, and I discovered that there's a shit-ton of food.

California appears to be following Ohio and Illinois in part, shutting bars, breweries, wineries and nightclubs. They aren't yet shutting restaurants but it's surely only a matter of days. I honestly don't know what part of our economy depends on these workers; but I do know that a lot of the people who depend on these jobs are among the most marginal and I'm scared for them because there's not really any safety net here.

Comment

The Mayor has said that NYC hospitals will need to cancel elective surgeries, not immediately, but "soon".

Meanwhile,

https://twitter.com/business/status/1239167125232799744

Comment

At about 16.30, the Dutch government announced that all cafes and restaurants had to close down from 18.00 today until April 6. The result:

Long waiting lines in front of almost all coffeeshops. We sure have our priorities straight here. Self-isolation is fine, but we'd better ensure a good stash of weed.

Comment

It's starting to feel like there is a lot that we are not being told about this.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                    It's starting to feel like there is a lot that we are not being told about this.
                                    What do you think we're not being told?

Comment

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post

What do you think we're not being told?
                                      It's more an underlying sense of unease that maybe there are people in power withholding info. I'm feeling a bit paranoid. I don't trust the prime minister or the shitshower around him much and especially not now.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                                        It also shows just how incompetent Trump is. Past Republicans would have seen this as an opportunity to show leadership and look “presidential.” “Never let a good crisis go to waste.”
                                        not a mistake the UK govt is going to make.

Comment

The "good" news is that they'd be relying on all the media and all governments pushing the same misinformation, as we have pretty good global networks now. If you suddenly stop seeing comments from friends on other countries, and their websites went dark, then you should really worry.

Comment

See Kashmir

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                              It's more an underlying sense of unease that maybe there are people in power withholding info. I'm feeling a bit paranoid. I don't trust the prime minister or the shitshower around him much and especially not now.
                                              They've told you explicitly that they're aiming to maximise the death rates and crush the health system under the weight of sheer numbers. What else do you need to know?

Comment

There is a massive amount of information to sift through and convey, much of it is not in English and a good deal of it can be difficult to believe even when it is true.

That said, the pattern of massively spun briefings to friendly journalists in England over the weekend is worrying.

And I am genuinely surprised that there isn't more coverage of Spain, Italy and France given the very large numbers of Brits who live and/or own property in those countries.

Comment

Number of new deaths globally today, currently stands at 666. Is this actually the apocalypse?

Comment

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post
                                                    Number of new deaths globally today, currently stands at 666. Is this actually the apocalypse?
                                                    aye.until the next death

Comment

Working...
                                                    X