No announcement yet.

Covid-19 pandemic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm paying less attention to the global statistics for reasons but I've just had a quick look at the deaths per head of population figures and was struck by the fact that North Macedonia and Bosnia and Herzegovina have shot up towards the top of the list. The impact that the virus is having in the Balkans isn't something that I've heard about.

Comment

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post
      Shakin' Stevens is still performing?

Comment

Originally posted by S. aureus View Post

Four days in a row of record new cases in California, 25,320 yesterday.
        Now five days in a row. 28,371.

Comment

Shakin' Stevens?

Comment

242 cases today in Ireland, 0 deaths for the second day in a row. ICU cases down to 28.

Comment

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post
              Is this satire?

Edit - The replies to the tweet make it even harder to tell: "Just the way they look at each other shows mutual love and respect, without having their hands all over each other in public" - someone typed that with a straight face?
              Last edited by Lurgee; 07-12-2020, 18:38.

Comment

Given that so many people do care so much about the royals and use up their their limited mental real estate trying to guess at the state of other people's marriages based on newspaper photos, it isn't such a bad thing that Bill and Katie are doing a tour to make those people feel better while modeling appropriate masking and social distancing. It's way better than the approach of our current head of state.

I like Duchess' scarf. It probably cost $700.

Really, lately I think I'm becoming a royalist. It's a huge waste of money and symbolizes a lot of bad things, but the US has shown that the alternative is actually much worse.

BTW, am I the only one always tempted to spell that title as "Dutchess?"

Comment

Nowhere near that cost.

https://www.etsy.com/market/maple_leaf_tartan

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                    Yeah, but the one she has was probably hand-woven by Fairies.
                    Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 07-12-2020, 19:16.

Comment

HP there showing the often surprising American sentimentality for the Royal Family.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                        Really, lately I think I'm becoming a royalist. It's a huge waste of money and symbolizes a lot of bad things, but the US has shown that the alternative is actually much worse.
                        I’d hang fire and look up what those same people say about Meghan Markle.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                          HP there showing the often surprising American sentimentality for the Royal Family.
                          I'm not sentimental. It's all ridiculous. But it's better that all that ridiculousness be a few steps removed from actual power.

Comment

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1336093152516640779

Comment

Not sure if this is really the place for this:
                              Florida police raid house of whistleblower Rebekah Jones, who had accused the state of asking her to censor and alter coronavirus data.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/flori...b626e08a2c59e8

Comment

DeSantis continues to build his lead as the Trumpiest and most dangerous governor in the country

Comment

Astonishing statistics

https://twitter.com/cthomashealth/status/1336204204961128454?s=21

Comment

BBC:

As we have been reporting, 90-year-old Margaret Keenan was the first person in the UK to receive the Pfizer/BioNTech coronavirus vaccine, outside medical trials.

Now, the BBC's health editor, Hugh Pym, is reporting the second person to receive the jab happens to be called William Shakespeare - and is from Warwickshire.

Of course, the playwright and poet William Shakespeare was born and died in Stratford-upon-Avon - also in Warwickshire.

The only surprise is that they couldn't rustle up a Winston Churchill or Horatio Nelson.

Comment

Well, California managed to avoid setting a new cases record 6 days in a row by "only" having 27,042 of them yesterday.
                                      San Mateo County, on the other hand, blew the previous record of 433 (set due to 3 days being counted in one due to Thanksgiving) out of the water with 589 yesterday. Normally Monday's are 2 day totals as typically zero are reported on Sundays, this week Sunday already had 44. Over 1 in a thousand people in the county were diagnosed with covid in the last 3 days.

Comment

Another two people have died with coronavirus in Wales and more than 2,000 positive cases have been confirmed.

The latest statistics released by Public Health Wales (PHW) on Monday, December 7, show another 2,021 people have tested positive for the virus in Wales.

It brings the number of positive tests since the outbreak began to 91,013 while 2,711 people have died with lab-confirmed coronavirus in Wales.

The infection rate across Wales now stands at 308.3 per 100,000 people based on the seven days up to December 4. This is a sharp increase from 279.5 on Sunday.

Health Minister Vaughan Gething confirmed during his press conference on Monday that there are now eight local authorities with rates higher than 400 cases per 100,000 people – four times as many areas as on Friday
                                        Could be more lockdowns coming.
                                        Last edited by Patrick Thistle; 08-12-2020, 14:32.

Comment

Cancelling my Snowdonia holiday at the end of the month was probably a smart move...

Comment

Made a graph to illustrate the stuff going on in Czech Republic

https://imgur.com/pWgutAv

Comment

https://twitter.com/JamesBSumner/status/1336403051234684933?s=20

Comment

2,960 deaths in the USA yesterday, its highest daily toll so far.

Comment

Argentina is the 11th country to report more than 40,000 deaths.

Comment

A new record for deaths in California yesterday, 212.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X