Covid-19 pandemic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post

Not catching up with your brother, potentially near a jetty that appears longer than it is?

</lazy sibling fighting insightment>
    The allusion is on the tip of my brain but I can't place it, mobster film/TV?

Comment

Another record breaking day in San Mateo County yesterday, the second in the past 4 days.

Comment

Public Health Wales have started putting out messaging that the covid vaccine won't be mandatory. Perhaps as a way of circumventing antivax frothers.

It says something that we don't actually have a vaccine but it's still felt necessary to reassure people that we won't be making them have the vaccine that we don't have yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
          Public Health Wales have started putting out messaging that the covid vaccine won't be mandatory. Perhaps as a way of circumventing antivax frothers.

It says something that we don't actually have a vaccine but it's still felt necessary to reassure people that we won't be making them have the vaccine that we don't have yet.
          I can imagine that there will now be people saying "that's what they want you to think" and talking about them putting it in the water supply or something.

Comment

Hmm, putting stuff in the water supply instead of mass vaccination programmes. Sounds like an effective idea. I'm going to add that to the list of things that happen in Thistletopia.

Comment

Macron made the same point about non-mandatory vaccinations last night

Comment

Vaccines will be non-mandatory, but countries (for example) will insist on vaccination certificates before allowing entry*. So the anti vax people won't be able to travel, which seems a good thing all round really.

*some counties already do this for yellow fever, for example.

Comment

No need to make it mandatory, private entreprise will ensure it becomes de-facto mandatory eg Quantas requiring proof before they allow you on planes for international travel.

I can imagine big entertainment chains asking such a thing before allowing people on premises where Covid restrictions will be lifted...

Comment

I'm curious as to how schools will handle it here given that they have become the standard check on immunisation status in this country

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight Shadow View Post
                      No need to make it mandatory, private entreprise will ensure it becomes de-facto mandatory eg Quantas requiring proof before they allow you on planes for international travel.

I can imagine big entertainment chains asking such a thing before allowing people on premises where Covid restrictions will be lifted...
                      The music industry is a bit mixed on this - there are suggestions that you would need proof to e.g. get into Glastonbury, but Ticketmaster have said it won't be needed for "their" shows.

Comment

The number of people confirmed to have been infected with Covid-19 worldwide is now higher than the population of South Africa.

Comment

12,009 deaths worldwide yesterday, the first time it's been higher than 12k.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight Shadow View Post

I’m dubious private enterprise will feel able to do this, because the roll out will be effectively quite slow; it is going to take many months, if not years, for everyone who wants it to be vaccinated. The comparison to yellow fever doesn’t work, because that isn’t from a standing start as these vaccines necessarily are.
                            Once the priority cases are dealt with, health services will have to scale back the rate of vaccination so they can offer it alongside their normal services, which I believe will be unavoidably reduced initially as too great a proportion of the nursing staff will be required to jab people.

Comment

Tier 2 for me.

Comment

Looks like Tier 2 for most of the south of England.

Comment

Mexico is possibly entering a second wave. Cases and deaths were reducing, but now they're increasing again, with more than 10,000 new cases and more 800 deaths both today and yesterday.

Comment

So under the new UK rules, in Tiers 1 and 2 you can only meet friends and family in groups of up to six -- except if you all meet up for a sports event where you could theoretically see all* your friends and family simultaneously?

Presuming you know fewer than 2,000 people.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
                                      Tier 2 for me.
                                      Me too, which means (as lambers points to) there is the possibility of attending Carlisle v Salford in person on Wednesday. In the lead-up to the announcement those of us with an interest in that were speculating about it and crossing our fingers that we'd be in Tier 2 not Tier 3 (as Cumbria seemed borderline and surrounded by areas which were clearly Tier 3), while work colleagues were busy speculating about whether we'd be able to go for a work Christmas meal "but let's just wait for them to announce we're in Tier 1 before we book anything". Throughout the whole situation it's been interesting to see how people's perceptions differ....

Comment

Dear God, I am in T2...I can travel again, have a peek outside my area, maybe even go up a hill....

Comment

Comment

Tier 3 obviously, even though the rate of infection here is lower than parts of London and (unlike in London) rapidly decreasing. Ho hum.

Comment

What the fuck?

Comment

Current global death toll of 1.43 million+ is now higher than the population of San Diego, California.

Comment

Somehow this seems unsurprising for 2020:

Dead mink infected with a mutated form of COVID-19 rise from graves after mass culling

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ad/6426378002/

Comment

Originally posted by Fussbudget View Post
                                                    Tier 3 obviously, even though the rate of infection here is lower than parts of London and (unlike in London) rapidly decreasing. Ho hum.
                                                    Bollox. Tier 3 in Kent too, thanks to a covid spike in East Kent around Sittingbourne. This will be the last straw for some of our local businesses, I fear. The Borough where we live has had relatively very low infection rates throughout (so far), but we’re taking the hit with our fellow county-dwellers from Swale District. We could sneak 2 miles over the border into East Sussex if we fancy a “household” meal in a pub or restaurant, I suppose. Provided the staff don’t go all Gestapo on us and demand to see evidence of a non-Kent address...

Comment

Working...
                                                    X