No announcement yet.

Covid-19 pandemic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kuwait has now recorded more cases than China, but only 531 deaths so far.

Comment

Chile has overtaken Italy in terms of deaths per million population, both hovering around 587 deaths per million.

Comment

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post
        No, from the data in looking at, it's the highest individual daily total. I'm happy to be corrected. Which individual day since May 29th has had more than 1,715 new cases in a day?
        Are you getting the data from Worldometer? The GOV.UK dashboard says there were more cases reported on 30th and 31st May, as well as 3rd and 4th June (2,445, 1,936, 1,871 and 1,805 respectively.)

The official stats have been revised a number of times to add cases they had missed though, so it's anyone's guess whether these were actually reported on those dates or redistributed at a later date to avoid showing a huge spike on the graph when they found all those extra cases at the back of the settee.

Comment

Originally posted by Fussbudget View Post
          Are you getting the data from Worldometer? The GOV.UK dashboard says there were more cases reported on 30th and 31st May, as well as 3rd and 4th June (2,445, 1,936, 1,871 and 1,805 respectively.)

The official stats have been revised a number of times to add cases they had missed though, so it's anyone's guess whether these were actually reported on those dates or redistributed at a later date to avoid showing a huge spike on the graph when they found all those extra cases at the back of the settee.
          Thanks for that. Very interesting. Yes, I'm looking at the worldometer data which has lower stats for each of those days. I'm not sure what they do about redistributing cases that are backdated.

Comment

I mostly look at worldometer because I'm interested in the whole picture across multiple countries rather than going to individual government sites, but perhaps I should look at the UK one. What's the best link to the UK gov data?

Comment

The most convenient one is this dashboard, though it crashes fairly often and sometimes they fail to update it daily. It also allows you to narrow the number of cases down to local authority level.

Comment

Actually while I'm at it I'll pop a link to the PHE map of local Covid cases in case that's useful to anyone. It shows the number of cases for the last week everywhere in England at MSOA level (basically the same size as an electoral ward, but the boundaries are different.) It always lags a few days behind, but it's still a useful tool if people want to see if there are any hotspots in their area.

Comment

Thanks for both those links.

Comment

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post

No, from the data in looking at, it's the highest individual daily total. I'm happy to be corrected. Which individual day since May 29th has had more than 1,715 new cases in a day?
                    I went on what the Guardian said.

Comment

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post

I went on what the Guardian said.
                      Fussbudget cleared this up above. Apparently the UK gov has backdated some of the cases, so there are four days around late May / early June that had higher case numbers than yesterday if you look at the revised figures.

Comment

Wales has its own dashboard
                        https://public.tableau.com/views/Rap...3Aembed=true#2

Comment

Teachers here in NYC are preparing to strike for the first time in half a century, rather than return to a situation they consider to be unsafe.

https://www.thecity.nyc/coronavirus/...ovid-de-blasio

Comment

160 positive cases were confirmed yesterday in Scotland, with 69 in Greater Glasgow and Clyde, 27 in Lanarkshire, 18 in Lothian, 9 in Forth Valley and 8 in Ayrshire and Arran.
                            The previous hot-spots of Grampian and Tayside had just 4 and 14 cases respectively.
                            0 deaths in the last 24 hours.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                              Cheers Pat, there are separate dashboards for Scotland and Northern Ireland as well.

Comment

Oh goody

https://twitter.com/loriamontgomery/status/1300392822026178561

Comment

Kildare leaves lockdown with immediate effect, but how long until Tipperary enters it?

Comment

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...se-say-experts

But let's encourage everyone onto public transport and into offices, just as the children are about to go back to school. Sounds wise...

Comment

I fail to understand why anyone can view Sweden as the country to copy in coronaviral response, but it keeps recurring.

Comment

Sweden has very low infections at the moment, but that's mainly because everyone goes on holiday at exactly the same time and fucks off into the forest for seven weeks from mid June to late August. It will be back up in the next couple of weeks.

Comment

David Nabarro was singing its praises today. He must really really hate lockdowns.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                                            David Nabarro was singing its praises today. He must really really hate lockdowns.
                                            They keep forgetting that a lot of people died here per capita. Or, more likely, they just don't care.

Comment

Originally posted by anton pulisov View Post
                                              Sweden has very low infections at the moment, but that's mainly because everyone goes on holiday at exactly the same time and fucks off into the forest for seven weeks from mid June to late August. It will be back up in the next couple of weeks.
                                              It's not even that low - 172/day (7 day average) for a population of 10 million isn't that great (about the same as the UK's currently).

Comment

I see Bolton are celebrating the imminent easing of restrictions on households mixing from Wednesday by recording 108 new cases over the last 2 days, which I think is the highest infection rate of anywhere in the country and 3rd highest over the past week.

Comment

Originally posted by S. aureus View Post

It's not even that low - 172/day (7 day average) for a population of 10 million isn't that great (about the same as the UK's currently).
                                                  Yeah sorry I must have succumbed to the local government propaganda.

Comment

53 cases in Ireland today, but with schools returning in earnest now, could well resurge in the next fortnight.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X