No announcement yet.

Covid-19 pandemic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Current global death toll of 1,061,000+ now exceeds the populations of the cities of Coimbatore and Jabalpur in India, or Freetown in Sierra Leone.

Comment

Also apparently higher than the population of Hiroshima in Japan. Up to 146,000 civilians and military personnel were believed to die due to the Hiroshima nuclear bomb. Covid-19 has killed more than seven times as many people.

Comment

https://twitter.com/NextIrishGE/status/1314190203435864070

Comment

https://www.theguardian.com/educatio...droidApp_Other

I cannot believe this is an issue. Well I can because so many people are delusional.

Of course school trips should be banned. How the fuck do children get there? Who the fuck supervises them?

Welcome to death cult England.

Comment

17,500 cases today in the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
              17,500 cases today in the UK.

Shocking number but 10% are Newcastle students alone: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-54468127

Comment

I think one thing the pandemic has really taught us is that the people who are most condescendingly smug about having spawned are also the ones who can't fucking bear being responsible for their children during the day. And education is just childcare.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
                  Shocking number but 10% are Newcastle students alone: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-54468127
                  That can't be included in today's figures, it must be cumulative over the last few days. Newcastle 'only' reported 303 new cases today, and another 74 in Gateshead (not sure if any of the student halls are south of the river.)

Comment

Although as I understand it several universities that have had big outbeaks are testing their students privately rather than through pillar 1 or 2 testing, so I'm not sure if their cases are even included at all in the daily totals. Does anyone know?

Comment

Originally posted by Fussbudget View Post
                      That can't be included in today's figures, it must be cumulative over the last few days. Newcastle 'only' reported 303 new cases today, and another 74 in Gateshead (not sure if any of the student halls are south of the river.)

Ah, OK. I did wonder if that might be the case.

Comment

Originally posted by Fussbudget View Post
                        Although as I understand it several universities that have had big outbeaks are testing their students privately rather than through pillar 1 or 2 testing, so I'm not sure if their cases are even included at all in the daily totals. Does anyone know?

TBH it's never occurred to me that private tests wouldn't be part of the daily totals but it's quite feasible, I suppose, especially given the haphazard way in which we've seen statistics being compiled and presented since the Spring.

I'm hoping that the vast majority of the positive tests are among the young and fit and include a large number of asymptomatic cases, but it would be nice to have that confirmed.

Comment

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1314238682182774784

Comment

I'm not sure that with over 1,000 cases in the past week you can be confident that all appropriate measures are actually in place.

Comment

1 death and 506 cases in Ireland. Only 91 cases in Dublin today.

Comment

12 teachers at my daughter's school have tested positive. It has, as you might imagine, been closed "for two weeks"

Comment

Yikes

The younger one, I assume?

​​​​​​That has to have repurcussions in the town as a.whole

Comment

Yes. We've been told via her form teacher telling her (and the rest of the class) and it now being on the local news. Nobody has contacted us. Nor have we been given any advice /instructions about isolation. Fucking clueless

Comment

Crikey

Best of luck

Comment

Good grief. And good luck. That seems like some world class incompetence in a terrible situation.

Comment

85,643 new cases in the UK in the last week. China has reported 85,500 cases in total.

Comment

I have a friend who's moved to Beijing because her husband has been posted there with work. They had to quarantine for two weeks, but now they can pretty much go about their normal lives because cases there are so low and so well controlled. Playgroups are open for her one-year-old son, she can go to in person language lessons. A glimpse of what could have been for other countries.

Comment

Oh wow, a "firewall" is going to be much more effective than a "circuit breaker", "moonshot" or a game of "whack a mole". It's only "whispers", but pass them on, it'll be fun!

https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1314272087826214912?s=20

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                                12 teachers at my daughter's school have tested positive. It has, as you might imagine, been closed "for two weeks"
                                                Why have the teaching unions been so quiet about this? (Or maybe they haven't been but I haven't heard of any threats of strikes) Do all the top union people have kids they want out of the house?

Never mind. We can clap for the teachers once a week when they start dying. Sorry, make a sacrifice.

Comment

5 days in Germany now and it all seems pretty natural and simple: if you stand up indoors, or are about to go indoors or into a station or a bus, you put your mask on. I really haven't seen one example of dissent yet. Everyone seems pretty clear what the rules are.

I fear for The Netherlands a bit when I come here and compare. But then again, I don't exactly mix with the more glamorous end of Dutch society normally. Until a few days before I left, nobody apart from Asian or very old people wore a mask in the supermarket. And nobody at my work.

It seemed to be really changing just before I left. I'm intrigued to see what it will be like when my holiday's over.

Comment

Coming soon
                                                    evictions

to prop up our Rentier economy

https://twitter.com/l__macfarlane/status/1314276704228175872?s=21

Comment

Working...
                                                    X