Covid-19 pandemic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Corbyn on being briefed by the Cabinet Office

I “We were involved in meetings with the government throughout the spring of this year and Jon Ashworth and I remember distinctly going to a meeting at the Cabinet Office, where we got a lecture about herd immunity.

“The last time I discussed herd immunity was when I worked on a pig farm 40 years ago. It was absurd that actually [you] would build up herd immunity by allowing people to die.

“And so, while the government was going into eugenic formulas and discussing all this stuff, they were not making adequate preparations.”

Amazing that it took a left podcast to even ask him the question.

Comment

Global death toll of 786,618 is now higher than the population of Guyana.

Comment

North America has exceeded 250,000 deaths.

Comment

An excellent twitter thread on the current state of Covid-19, and why a relative lack of mortality shouldn't be cause for complacency:

https://twitter.com/firefoxx66/status/1296080742607355904

Comment

And why Covid-19 isn't just about mortality rates...

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...mptoms/615382/

Comment

Jimski and UA, thanks for posting the link to the long-haulers article. As somebody who had a slew of covid-related symptoms, including many that have remained, no test at the time of the apparent infection, and a negative antibody test, I've been mentally stuck as to how to proceed. Even knowing there are other people in the same boat really helps.

Comment

It must be absolutely maddening, but I thought the description of how doctors are beginning to take patients seriously was a source of some hope.

Comment

Today is India's highest daily tally of new cases so far, 69,096.

Comment

Note. That's December 2021
                    https://twitter.com/MeggiePalmer/status/1296375610068082688

Comment

Colombia is the 8th country to report over 500,000 cases and has recorded nearly 16,000 deaths.

Comment

There has been a lot of good research and articles about "long covid" or mild" covid-like the piece Laverte posted. i have at least two friends who have had long term effects despite having cases which didn’t involve hospitalisation

Comment

Don't mention direct provision:

https://twitter.com/masi_asylum/status/1296423931646181376

Comment

Originally posted by Diable Rouge View Post
                            LOOK OVER THERE, SPORTS TEAMS AND PUBS!

Comment

There's a big downside to having a local economy largely dependent on the behavior of people whose brains aren't fully developed.

https://onwardstate.com/2020/08/20/v...de-east-halls/
                              Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 20-08-2020, 16:24.

Comment

What does "direct provision" mean? I don't think I've heard that expression before.

Comment

Originally posted by Evariste Euler Gauss View Post
                                  What does "direct provision" mean? I don't think I've heard that expression before.
                                  It's the Irish states way of dealing with asylum seekers while their cases are being processed. They are put in hotels on full board, with a small amount of pocket money per week. Some people have been there for years. In recent times the government have allowed them to work, which was great news for sweatshops like meat processing plants. So if Covid gets into one ,it's inevitable it will get into the other.

Comment

ah I see, thanks el g.

Comment

77 new cases in Scotland in the last 24 hours. That's a big jump and the largest daily increase in 3 months.
                                      0 deaths to report happily.
                                      Local measures in Aberdeen remain in place for the moment, as the focus now shifts to Tayside.
                                      27 of today's cases are in the Tayside health board area, and a total of 42 cases have been identified as part of an outbreak at the 2 Sisters poultry factory in Coupar Angus.
                                      Kingspark School in Dundee is closed as 8 adults have tested positive, and there are other cases linked to schools across Scotland.

So Scotland as a whole remains at Stage 3 of the lockdown for the forseeable.

Comment

The increasingly ludicrous merry-go-round of where you can go on holiday continues. Portugal suddenly okay again but you've got until Saturday to get back from Croatia.

Comment

Looks like Laois and Offaly will be released from lockdown, but Kildare will retain that status.

Comment

136 cases and 1 death in Ireland, overall prevalence rate of 1.7%.

Comment

Stephen Donnelly ( health minister) compares Covid 19 to, amongst other things, driving and letting your child use a trampoline in terms of risk.

Comment

https://twitter.com/aoifegracemoore/status/1296508121452613636

He's only held the position since mid-July.

Comment

Current global death toll of 793,962 is now just higher than the worldwide deaths from suicide in 2017. Which makes me ponder a few things. Chiefly that as a society we do nowhere near enough to prevent the human anguish and suffering that leads to people taking their own lives.

Comment

We’re the only species that occasionally kills itself just because we don’t want to live any more, and yet it’s not discussed or acknowledged nearly enough.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X