No announcement yet.

Poll: Irish general election edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ps I'm unsure what point Berba is making- whether it's that the current structure of Dail Eireann is inherently so sensible that even outsiders can understand it after brief explanation, or even self-evidently. Or, conversely, that it doesn't really matter that constituencies are differently sized as long as everyone gets a vote. Or some other reason.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
      That would make it "fairer" for them all to be bigger, though, rather than for them all to be the same size.
      Yes, that's why I suggest they should all be 5 seaters. I'd like the same structure in Britain.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Gardner View Post
        TT- it's fairer for the reason I mentioned. Smaller parties are more likely to be elected and thus the overall range of parties represented to be more proportionate to their vote share.

Currently, one constituency has more than 150,00 electors, another fewer than 60,000.This is clearly suggestive of gerrymandering and potentially other abuses.
        It suggests that you should use more than two data points. Kildare south does only have 60k voters for three seats, but every other constituency in the country has between 27,500 and 30,000 voters per seat. Irish people don't like moving from constituency, very much, and they particularly don't like being say the small part of one county grafted onto a whole other county.

Comment

Er, I started with at least 3 data points: an area can have either 3, 4 or 5 TDs.

Irish people don't mind boundary changes that much.. Partly as they recognise population changes, but mainly as it's abstract for most. We can agree that politics in NI are both more volatile and sterile than down South, but in practice nobody is that bothered that all the Stormont constituencies are 5 seaters and each Council outside Belfast has 40 members.

Other readers may remember a previous thread in which Berba criticised Britain's typically geriatric MPs- before being gently reminded that 4 of the 5 TDs for his home constituency were over 60
          Last edited by Duncan Gardner; 13-01-2020, 09:56.

Comment

Peter Casey is running in Donegal, but given 2 candidates are each running for FF, FG and SF, along with an Independent TD, he could well fall short for the third time.

Comment

The only thing worse than pat the cunting cute hoor cope Gallagher or Joe McHugh would be an actual fascist. I'm not optimistic. Too many "they're all as bad as each other, sure we need to shake things up" cunts out there.

Comment

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1217038110518927360

Comment

Fine Gael continue their long tradition of awful campaign slogans:

https://twitter.com/oconnellhugh/status/1217041268217389062

Comment

It's very Thick of It

Comment

Taoiseach has just arrived at the Áras to conduct the formal last rites.

Comment

How quick do you result? Will we have an answer on my birthday, the day after?

Comment

No overnight counting, god knows if they will count on a Sunday. The gist should be known within a day, some final seats could take forever.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                            How quick do you result? Will we have an answer on my birthday, the day after?
                            Given the election is Saturday, will be a two-day counting marathon over Sunday and Monday, with some possibly dragging into mid-week.

Comment

Thanks.

I wish people would sort this out though. It's ridiculous.

Comment

People simply place more trust in paper ballots, given the potential for hacking in e-voting.

Comment

TT and DR are both right. It's clearly absurd not to use basic, long-established technology to count votes. And also true that lots of people don't trust it, having forgotten (or failed to grasp) that random boxes of paper can also be tampered or stolen.

Meanwhile, results for the next Fermanagh With Tyrone Stormont election are already in. 103% turnout

Comment

Februrary 8th huh. And the new Electoral Register comes into effect every year on February 15th.

Arseholes.

Comment

The GLA / London Mayor elections use machine counting of paper ballots. It's not quick, though.

(Doesn't take two bloody days mind)

Comment

Originally posted by anton pulisov View Post
                                        Februrary 8th huh. And the new Electoral Register comes into effect every year on February 15th.

Arseholes.
                                        Do you think they (FG) are trying to avoid newly registering voters AP? What cohort would that be though, if you trying to get it through before a min-glut of student types get registered you'd hardly hold it on a Saturday to accommodate students?

Comment

The other parties knew there was an election coming up this year, so were generally making an extra effort in 2019 to get people on the 2020 register. All in vain now.

I imagine many of those newly registered people will show up nonetheless - and won't be able to vote.

Comment

Love the poll by the way.... it really sums up OTF (90% voting left, 10% independent) and the fractured Irish left (9 left leaning votes split across 5 lefty parties!)

Comment

And indeed not everyone would even agree that there are five lefty parties.

Comment

The Shinners are usually first up with the election posters, though Labour and Fine Gael are ahead of them round my neck of the woods.

Comment

Leo had his up this morning in advance of the announcement, contravening littering laws.

Comment

Turns out I'm a Keynesian, multicultural globalist with collectivist leanings, but try the quiz for yourself:

https://ireland.isidewith.com
                                                    Last edited by Diable Rouge; 14-01-2020, 20:58.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X