No announcement yet.

Israel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

https://twitter.com/btselem/status/1711389621936853422?t=Zfm2uXjqVw5QSBwn7U60-A&s=19

Hard to disagree with a single word of this

Comment

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post
      Humza Yousef

https://twitter.com/ginadavidsonlbc/status/1711368333579207117?s=20

Meanshile the EU is suspending all aid -691 million euros annually
      80% of the more than 2 million Palestinians living in Gaza are dependent on international aid for basic survival.

Comment

https://twitter.com/yumna_patel/status/1711364627618029839?t=1xvLeaYtz440I5Km3v8Pew&s=19

Comment

Egypt sources claiming that they warned Netanyahu that Gaza was about to blow up
          ​​​

Comment

Amnesty's take on the March of Return, neither the UK or US condemned the IDFresponse: https://www.amnesty.org/en/latest/ca...rch-of-return/

I recall a job a few years ago when I read a report from British representatives who visited leaders in Gaza and I'd never comment on the specifics but their concluding remarks were as patronising as any I've ever read in a professional capacity to the extent they still anger me. They were along the lines of "... they [Gaza] keep their spirits up... they appreciate [UK] visits, they view us [UK] as their window on the world....".

It still strikes me to be polite, that the authors were completely unaware of what people were really feeling and what was/has been going on, it was all very much a bless them in their shithole and bless us for meeting them, aren't we great... it was one of a few notes that made me realise it really wasn't a line of work I wanted to be that close to ever again and I'll never be.

There seems to be a tendency to get people into those roles who just think as they are supposed to and maintain the status quo; no ability to analyse, rationalise nor even truly empathise. I'm not sure it was always like that but it was then and looking at the pronouncements coming out of the government now, it still seems to be. I guess the point I'm making is that the Palestinians pretty much have no support in the West, well certainly not in circles of influence, and the system seems designed to keep it that way.

The scale of what's happened surprises, but not that its happened. I said a long time ago on, I think this thread, that my experience of crossing to and from Bethlehem as Palestinians do (i..e not on a tourist trip) and trying to get into Al-Ram to watch a Palestinian league game (that's kick-off time kept getting moved by the Israeli's), that the whole set-up felt designed to humiliate and obstruct as opposed to "provide security". And the actions against Palestinians have clearly got worse since then. That couldn't keep carrying on without a response, what do they have to lose?

The point Gaza voted for Hamas (2007) - Hamas FFS! - was the point that really showed how desperate they had become, they needed support. Diplomatic processes were failing them and to go back to the March of Return, even when they tried to protest peacefully, they were failed again.

But thoughts and prayers are with the victims regardless as to whether they are Israeli or Palestinian, I do also remember talking to fans of Hapoel Tel Aviv and them telling me loudly that Netanhayu did not represent them and they despised him. I hope they can stay true to that view.

Last edited by super furry dice; 09-10-2023, 17:35.

Comment

I'm terriifed.

Every fascist, islamophobe philosemite across the world is using the terrible events in Israel to attack Diaspora Jews who don't support Israel 100 per cent and demand that everyone stands behind the coming devastation in Gaza,.

I believe killing civilians is wrong whether you do it with an AK47 or a bomb.​
              But in the current climate in Britain anyone who expresses sympathy for Palestinians or says that the events of Saturday have to be seen in a historical context will be called a terrorist sympathiser by those who were gleefully complicit in the deaths of around a million in Iraq.

Bad faith abounds A break in in a Golders Green restaurant with a stolen cash regiser is being linked to the graffiti saying Free Palestine on a bridge 500 metres away which has been there since 2021. Everything will be done by the Douglas Murrays and Melanie Phillips of this world to make this about Islam not about colonisation.

I suspect that Jews who speak out will face violent attacks. Like I said. I'm terrified.

Comment

https://twitter.com/Max_Fisher/status/1711369137941881293?t=WLiuQ1KA4PWpGzf0Asoo0g&s=09

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                  Egypt sources claiming that they warned Netanyahu that Gaza was about to blow up
                  ​​​
                  I wouldn't be surprised. Also when you consider that Mossad are usually one of the most effective intelligence gatherers of such national agencies it isn't too wild a swing to believe that Netanyahu was happy to accept the deaths as collateral damage to justify turning the screw right down on Gaza.

Comment

Nef, please be careful.

I wish I could say that you are overreacting, but I don't think that is true.

And I also think there is more space for speaking out here in the US and even in Israel than here is in the UK.

You are very much in our thoughts.

Comment

I'm terriifed.

Every fascist, islamophobe philosemite across the world is using the terrible events in Israel to attack Diaspora Jews who don't support Israel 100 per cent and demand that everyone stands behind the coming devastation in Gaza,.

I believe killing civilians is wrong whether you do it with an AK47 or a bomb.​
                      But in the current climate in Britain anyone who expresses sympathy for Palestinians or says that the events of Saturday have to be seen in a historical context will be called a terrorist sympathiser by those who were gleefully complicit in the deaths of around a million in Iraq.

Bad faith abounds A break in in a Golders Green restaurant with a stolen cash regiser is being linked to the graffiti saying Free Palestine on a bridge 500 metres away which has been there since 2021. Everything will be done by the Douglas Murrays and Melanie Phillips of this world to make this about Islam not about colonisation.

I suspect that Jews who speak out will face violent attacks. Like I said. I'm terrified.
                      Fair points, but am probably more angry/frustrated about both Zionist (& Islamic) excesses currently.
                      And imminently too.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                        Nef, please be careful.

I wish I could say that you are overreacting, but I don't think that is true.

And I also think there is more space for speaking out here in the US and even in Israel than here is in the UK.

You are very much in our thoughts.
                        What he said. Take care Nefertiti2

Comment

Genocide is trending on Not-Twitter. There’s plenty of opposition to the war and the planned genocide, from people who are free to speak out and don’t have to worry about jobs etc. For all the might of the propaganda machine.

i’ve seen warnings that police will clamp down on protests but how will that work?

My position is ofc horror at the Hamas actions but more horror at the Israeli government’s genocidal plans. This is way beyond even their usual “over-reaction”.

Not going to say much more and certainly not gonna argue about it. It’s gut-wrenching.

Comment

What UA said Nefertiti2 I wish there was more I could say

Comment

MsD sums up my thoughts completely. No event has made me feel more a committed pacifist than this one. Thousands of lives lived last week will be lost this week and within the coming weeks. An overwhelming percentage of those lives won't be carrying guns or be a threat to anyone. Yet those controlling these murderous actions are free to continue, hit the launch button without a second thought regarding the process of negotiation.

If we want to go through the history books, the history of Palestine, the history of Jews or anything, let's get back to the history of male patriarchy and how it continues to ruin the lives of all but a few since the dawn of the Anthropocene.

Comment

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post
                                In my household this is spilling over into husband and his parents being stressed and bickering to each other about other non-consequential things. I'm going to have to talk to daughter about it as this will likely be covered by newsround in her classroom and will probably be a very biased view.
                                I took daughter to Asda tonight to collect her Pikachu costume and used the walk there as an opportunity to talk through what's happening in Palestine/Israel. It's easier to do it when her dad isn't there as he finds it too upsetting. She understandably finds it distressing too but I think it's important that she knows. Son is too young to understand yet.

Comment

https://twitter.com/BtSIsrael/status/1711424185602322880?t=BpsUqWuvwmHuwgz_mJSozQ&s=19

Another thread that it's difficult to find anything to disagree with.

Comment

I think the more people hear human stories of the Palestinian experience the better.

I'm very sorry to hear about the tension in your husbands' family. I've heard of friends of friends in Israel whose fate was unknown when I last heard.

Given the increased tensions and the desire by several bad faith actors to make political capital from this I am extremely worried about the future both in Israel?Palestine and around the world
                                    Husband is cautioning against this and says it would be "career-limiting". I might do it anyway. I can certainly get away with it more than he can.

Comment

https://twitter.com/DrHananAshrawi/status/1711431313461264512?t=epmqfgJHP_3Dn-XldMlqnA&s=19

Comment

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post

Husband is cautioning against this and says it would be "career-limiting". I might do it anyway. I can certainly get away with it more than he can.
                                        I would agree with him, at least until things calm a little.

I am being more careful with what I share and post on Twitter and have unfollowed a few people.

Comment

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post

I would agree with him, at least until things calm a little.

I am being more careful with what I share and post on Twitter and have unfollowed a few people.
                                          I think I agree with the "until things calm a little" part. I did do a post a couple of months ago about names and the assumptions people make about them (i.e. why I have a name that really doesn't suggest that I'm white British, neither first or last name) which covered a little bit of his family history. It's probably too raw to go into any of it at the moment.

Comment

Meanshile the EU is suspending all aid -691 million euros annually
                                            This turns out to have been an attempt by an Orbanist commissioner with previous for anti-Palestinian views to pre-empt the full commission's deliberation and has now been formally renounced by the EU following protests from Ireland, Luxembourg and others.

The foreign minsters are expected to meet tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post

This turns out to have been an attempt by an Orbanist commissioner with previous for anti-Palestinian views to pre-empt the full commission's deliberation and has now been formally renounced by the EU following protests from Ireland, Luxembourg and others.

The foreign minsters are expected to meet tomorrow.
                                              Aye, they mentioned on C4 News earlier.

Comment

Interesting that Ireland, Luxembourg and Denmark called for a resolution seeking an avoidance of escalation, consistent with ursus arctos's post above, but the rest of the EU considered that to show insufficient solidarity with Israel.

Comment

Gideon Levy

Comment

May be of help to those having difficulty accessing the full piece

https://twitter.com/ColterL/status/1711213802778399001?s=20

Comment

Working...
                                                    X