The WTF? Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The WTF? Thread

Good thing my wife was late today. She started working at the Empire State Building last month.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Yikes, scary news, JV.

WOM wrote: Oddly, the tweed thing doesn't bother me. But then, I have a much higher steampunk tolerance than you.
      Bike Snob sums up my thoughts better than I could:

How do we get people to like us? Well, stunningly, some people think the answer is tweed:

Start an annual fashion award for the best-dressed man or woman on a bike. One of the best trends in the city is the high-heeled, flowery-dressed woman or tweed-suited man making their way by bicycle through the city. It’s harder to drive like a maniac when you’re behind one of them.

He started out well enough with the whole "change the legal relationship between pedestrians, cyclists and drivers" thing, but if this guy thinks that tweed is traffic-calming then he's got to be completely insane. Part of the reason people drive like maniacs when they're behind cyclists is that they think the cyclist is holding them up. (Obviously, this is not really the case, but it's what stupid drivers think.) So, they beep, yell, and floor the accelerator to get around them--and that's just when they see a fellow commuter who's just going to work the same as they are. Change that commuter into a "flowery-dressed woman" or a "tweed-suited man" who looks like he's on his way to a croquet match or a 19th century lawn party and that impatience turns to rage. It's only slightly less irritating than being inconvenienced by a mime. As human beings, our ability to cheer up angry people who hate their lives by behaving charmingly and whimsically drops off sharply after about the age of four.

I've long wondered why people consider so-called "tweed rides" a form of bicycle advocacy or how they're supposed to make normal people want to start cycling. Sure, when I see a bunch of white people dressed up like it's the 1800s I think of a lot of things, but none of them are cycling-related and most of them are bad. Just a few things that spring to mind for me are:

--Colonialism
      --Segregation
      --Child Labor
      --Sexual Repression
      --Polio

If they're looking to promote a return to Victorian sensibilities, repeal universal sufferage, or even turn Civil War reenacting into a mainstream sport they're doing a great job, but if they want to promote cycling they might want to look for a different approach. I've heard a lot of dumb anti-bike lane arguments too, but to their credit none of them have involved a bunch of people dressing like a young Mr. Burns from "The Simpsons" and taking to the streets in Model Ts.
      There is a difference between dressing up to go riding your bike regularly (something along the lines of the cycle chic movement) and a planned tweed ride on a special occasion. The latter is more like people dressing up for a special event...my thoughts of which are above.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

A nice bowler, leather vest and some wire-rimmed glasses should cure this mood of yours.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Ran into some of this a few days ago:

Sweetish curry + sultanas... Dessert beans? Xmas morning beans? And what's with the illin' hip-hop name? Kind of good though.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

jasoñ voorhees wrote: Good thing my wife was late today. She started working at the Empire State Building last month.
            Apart from the former co-worker that the gunman killed, and the all other people wounded today at the Empire State Building were shot by the police.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

I didn't know Mrs. V was working there. I'm just on 40th Street. We could do lunch.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Texas high school spends USD 750,000 on Jumbotron.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

I wonder how many school library books that represents?

Comment

The WTF? Thread

WOM wrote: Inca, they have....wait for it...cisterns in the attic.
                    Not in my gaff we don't. No attic you see?
                    However London does have very limey water. It's perfectly drinkable (although minerally) but the lime reacts badly with acidic soft drinks, being alkaline.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Amor de Cosmos wrote: I wonder how many school library books that represents?
                      Considering that we're talking about Texas, perhaps it's better for students' education that the money be spent on the scoreboard, and not "teaching the controversy" science books.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

hobbes wrote:
                        Originally posted by WOM
                        Inca, they have....wait for it...cisterns in the attic.
                        Not in my gaff we don't. No attic you see?
                        However London does have very limey water. It's perfectly drinkable (although minerally) but the lime reacts badly with acidic soft drinks, being alkaline.
                        Interesting.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

hobbes wrote: However London does have very limey water.
                          Well, what other kind of water would we have?

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Heh. I'll set them up...

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Antepli Ejderha wrote: Found:

http://www.alibaba.com/product-free/106068896/Ready_to_freeze_ice_Cubes_packed/showimage.html

My word.

I'm almost sorry I asked.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

FF - I'll be sure to tell her.

She was actually stepping past the white sheets on the way to work.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Thought Texas was bad? Here's the New Jerusalem.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

There's always somebody worse off than you ...

http://www.stuff.co.nz/oddstuff/7554949/Couple-arrested-for-loud-sex

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Calling Maury Povich...

Comment

The WTF? Thread

The Canadian Senate - the chamber of sober second-thought.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/08/25/23-year-old-wife-of-liberal-senator-69-charged-for-causing-disturbance-on-plane/

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Comment

The WTF? Thread

A Congressional candidate in a Republican primary in Illinois is a neo-Nazi.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Doc, you mean to tell me you made a Lamborghini Reventon out of bits of second hand Nissans and clapped out Volkswagen Santana Sedans?

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Arguably more one for the grumbling threads, but WTF is up with Sainsbury's lamb chops recently? They've started slicing them super thin, so there's bugger all meat on an individual chop and it's hard to cook them at medium rare. Bastards.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Arguably more for one of the "things you didn't know you didn't know" type threads, but I just found out that the Paralympics is the "Parallel" Olympics; games that run alongside the regular games.

All along, I thought "Para" was the same prefix on paraplegic or paralyzed, referring to people who didn't have full mobility.

Huh.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Arguably more one for the "who the fuck cares?" type threads, but my stomach hurts.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X