No announcement yet.

The WTF? Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

But four days into 2022, a New York Post journalist puts dibs on Story of the Year. I think Femme Folle has been known to rage tweet about the show.

https://twitter.com/nypost/status/1478451735572197381

Comment

I have no idea who this woman is, but I'm impressed that she was able to find enough people willing to buy her farts to make a tidy sum. I think I'll not be mentioning this to my flatulent, shopaholic daughter.

Comment

I have no idea who she is either but the story is amazing plus she outlines her fart cookbook venture.

Comment

I have no idea who she is either but she must have had some amazing conversations with her careers advisor teaching whilst at school.

Comment

An Italian mafia boss who has been on the run for decades has been arrested after he was spotted on Google Maps.

Comment

This is a fun one. A party plane full of young, Quebecois 'influencers' is now stuck in Mexico - most with COVID - after videos surfaced showing the flight south to be a drunken debauch, with maskless people drinking and vaping on the plane. The trip was some kind of Fire Island deal, rammed with participants from Quebec's equivalent of Big Brother / Love Island. The charter company, Sunwing, is refusing to bring them home and both Air Canada and Air Transat have said that they won't be coming home on their planes either. Many of them are now COVID positive, stuck in Tulum on their own dime with no way to get home. The promoter is saying he'll need to 'sit down and think about this'. Good plan.

https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/passenge...cers-1.5728981

Comment

That is a quality update to that story, WOM . The picture of some bloke's back walking through an airport speaks to the level of journalism at play.

Comment

The English language version of the Mafioso story makes it sound as if the Italian authorities have the resources to scour every image on Google Street View, but that obviously is not the case.

Among the pieces of evidence that led them to look at photographs of the locale were the fact that the guy had previously escaped to Spain on two prior occasions, that his restaurant advertised Sicilian specialties and used a modified version of the Godfather logo as its own, while also featuring statues of Padre Pio and an illiterate Calabrian mystic and alleged stigmatist whose image and works has also featured prominently in the mobster's jail cell.

Comment

So not quite the same random chance that saw a former ETA member identified at Cambridge Squash Club because a Spanish national happened to be visiting the club, saw him there and recognised the face.

Comment

Nice of them to spell Gogeaskoetxea correctly while getting King wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                        The English language version of the Mafioso story makes it sound as if the Italian authorities have the resources to scour every image on Google Street View, but that obviously is not the case.

Among the pieces of evidence that led them to look at photographs of the locale were the fact that the guy had previously escaped to Spain on two prior occasions, that his restaurant advertised Sicilian specialties and used a modified version of the Godfather logo as its own, while also featuring statues of Padre Pio and an illiterate Calabrian mystic and alleged stigmatist whose image and works has also featured prominently in the mobster's jail cell.
                        What a fanny.

Comment

An epithet that can be applied to a surprising number of mobsters.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post

What a fanny.
                            Which I heard in very entertaining fashion in Glasgow, shouted at a car by a pedestrian. Not sure why, but it made me laugh.

Comment

Coverage of this story often makes reference to some mobster who fled to the Caribbean and started a YouTube cookery channel, where he only showed his hands. His heavily tattooed hands.

Did these people learn nothing from the kefauver hearings?

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts View Post

Which I heard in very entertaining fashion in Glasgow, shouted at a car by a pedestrian. Not sure why, but it made me laugh.
                                It's one of the things I miss about Glasgow, can't think of an equivalent swear carrying the same meaning and power from elsewhere (it's not the strongest of weegie words).
                                Last edited by Lang Spoon; 06-01-2022, 17:02.

Comment

Gobshite strikes me as a similar sort of thing.

Comment

There's a wee bit more "affection" in fanny somehow.

Comment

Maybe gobshite is the same as "ya total fanny".

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                                        Nice of them to spell Gogeaskoetxea correctly while getting King wrong.
                                        I would almost bet there is no "William Watkinson" and the IBT article is the result of a quick scan through Google translate. Bits of it read as awkwardly as a Spanish to English transliteration.

Comment

Not to mention the IBT being a notorious content farm

Comment

They seem barely one step up from those grifting bloggers who will stick an uncredited Jim Lahey no knead bread recipe or whatever under paragraphs of MY BEST EVER! OMG ITS SOOO GOOD irrelevant wittering.

Comment

Should the presence of Padre Pio tat put one on alert for organised crime? Of so, I need to keep a better eye on my in-laws.

They also seem to have an interest in the affairs of someone called "Don Bosco". Sounds shady to me.

Comment

She was on one season of 90 Day when she went to Australia to hook up with her long distance girlfriend and turned out to be a jealous insecure girlfriend from hell. She is a self-described 'influencer' (I hate the very idea that it's an actual career choice these days). But having said that, if she can get people to pay for a jar of farts, more power to her.

ETA: Lots of posts I didn't see after caja-dglh's one that mentioned me.

Comment

Padre Pio is very popular in Southern Italy (his shrine is in Puglia).

Organised crime is also a major employer in Southern Italy.

Not all adherents are mobsters, not are all mobsters adherents.

One of several films on the other guy

Comment

Don Bosco is high school football powerhouse in New Jersey.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X