No announcement yet.

The WTF? Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He was also in Parks & Rec, and likely others.

Vice Presidents have a good amount of time available for side hustles.

Comment

Ha, so it would seem. In other 'surely not?' non-news I must be the last person on Earth to find out that Hargitay is Jayne Mansfield's daughter

Comment

I didn't know that, but the resemblance is now clear

Comment

Bus lane camera mistakes woman's sweater for number plate

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-58959930

Comment

If that's surprising, you should watch more Ulster Football Championship. The real UFC. They love fighting in their sport up there. I've heard armagh people say things about Tyrone people that shouldn't be uttered by human lips. I am fairly sure that south armagh people actively dislike tyrone GAA people more than the british army. (and given that I was in coalisland at the time, I could kind of see what they were getting at. I've never seen anything like it)

Comment

Given what their US-based relations get up too on a regular basis, this is very unsurprising.

Comment

"Hargitay" = from Hargita (where I live). I take it then that Jayne Mansfield's husband was Hungarian

Comment

Born in Budapest moved to the US, became Mr Universe and a minor actor before marrying Mansfield.

Comment

Sacramento, California:

Meep?

Man who kept breaking in to his old house shot dead by homeowners

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...40048.html?amp

Comment

Not exactly WTF, but bloody impressive: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-devon-59004320

Comment

Squid Game continues to reverberate around the world

https://twitter.com/abc7ny/status/1451190299628167189?s=21

Comment

The "Sacramento" story above is actually from a Gold Country town of a few hundred people not far from my father-in-laws former abode and completely unsurprising to those of us who know it.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                            The "Sacramento" story above is actually from a Gold Country town of a few hundred people not far from my father-in-laws former abode and completely unsurprising to those of us who know it.
                            From the point of view of the corpse or the householders?

Comment

As usual, I don't have the slightest idea what you are getting at

Comment

In 2021, homeowner shoots intruder stories have lost almost all power to shock. In many parts of the US, I'd sort of expect to be shot for knocking on a front door after 10 PM. In Florida, breaking and entering should be classified as suicide.

Comment

Valley Springs is such a place

Comment

Prop gun kills cinematographer
                                    Shit.
                                    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-59005500

Comment

Surely they could have snuck in a reference to "Stuck in Lodi Again" considering that's the closest large-ish town.

Comment

I mentioned this on the Earworm Thread, but it also deserves a WTF?

I only recently discovered that that this is real. Canadians are probably already aware of it.

Comment

Originally posted by scratchmonkey View Post
                                          Surely they could have snuck in a reference to "Stuck in Lodi Again" considering that's the closest large-ish town.
                                          This is true geographically, but not in terms of how the locals think.

Lodi is definitely Central Valley, Valley Springs is Gold Country (and therefore oriented more to San Andreas, Jackson and even Sonora, though they are all further away).

My father-in-law (who lived in San Andreas, and whose brother-in-law had served as the local Roman Catholic priest for decades) was an expert in the subtle differences among Valley Springs, Angels Camp, Mokelumne Hill, Copperopolis, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                                            I mentioned this on the Earworm Thread, but it also deserves a WTF?

I only recently discovered that that this is real. Canadians are probably already aware of it.

Oh dear! That's surely an SCTV sketch from 30+ years back.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post

Oh dear! That's surely an SCTV sketch from 30+ years back.
                                              This appears to be the story.

https://leaderpost.com/news/local-ne...ed-a-viral-hit

This is a helpful comment.

This advert was a perfect balance of what Regina offers. All the bells & whistles of what a bigger city offers but played in a flat key.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                                This is true geographically, but not in terms of how the locals think.

Lodi is definitely Central Valley, Valley Springs is Gold Country (and therefore oriented more to San Andreas, Jackson and even Sonora, though they are all further away).
                                                Ah, this is very true, I'm only really familiar with the towns up 108, so Sonora, Jamestown, Twain Harte, Mi-Wuk Village, Long Barn, etc.

Comment

Yeah, that is a different part of Gold Country but still Gold Country.

These areas have also been subject to rapid change over the last 20 years with the boom and bust of the Valley as "affordable housing" for the Bay Area.

During the boom, people from Stockton were selling their homes and buying land further east.

Comment

Every time I read a new story on people moving "just outside the Bay Area and planning to drive to work" I am astonished at how massive the Bay Area commuter band is, and how long people are having to drive each day because there is nowhere (and certainly nowhere affordable) left to live closer.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X