No announcement yet.

The WTF? Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alaska and Puerto Rico also have Interstate roads, and there are multiple Interstates in the contiguous 48 that are entirely within a single state.

(The reason here is that the Interstate system was build under a Federal program that Eisenhower signed off on, with the goal for the roads to be designed to carry a certain amount of traffic at a certain rate of speed, between critical areas (population centers, major agrarian centers, etc.). So the "Interstate" wasn't an explicit design to connect states, although that's what a lot of it did, it was more of a standard to be applied to new roads built using funding from the Interstate Program.)

Comment

Jesus wept:

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1461634308804907013

Comment

I have no words to adequately describe my contempt for that gombeen's gombeen toad of a man. The fuckin pricks of Kildare that keep returning that cunt should be ashamed of themselves. Though doubtless they will just dutifully vote in his nasty piece of work son when the old cunt finally retires. Big House cunts.

Comment

The reason that the lottery was made unwinnable was that some gang of rich pricks realised that you could buy every combination for less money than a reasonably big jackpot, and started an investment syndicate to do just that. Durkan no doubt thought that was a great idea.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
            The reason that the lottery was made unwinnable was that some gang of rich pricks realised that you could buy every combination for less money than a reasonably big jackpot, and started an investment syndicate to do just that. Durkan no doubt thought that was a great idea.
            hmm, It's a long time ago now, long enough ago for my maths teacher used it as an example of probability and combinatorics, and systematically went through it, but If I remember correctly, the only reason that they were able to pull it off was because they said that Match fives would be worth I think £10k. And match fours would be worth a certain amount, rather than each one being an equal share of a pot that was a percentage of the total prize fund. so they stood to make nearly all their money back on that, and whatever share they got of the main prize was the profit. Without the fixed payouts, you would stand a substantial risk of losing quite a lot of money because of prize sharing.

I think the increase to 42 numbers came when they introduced the bonus ball.
            Last edited by The Awesome Berbaslug!!!; 19-11-2021, 23:15.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
              I have no words to adequately describe my contempt for that gombeen's gombeen toad of a man. The fuckin pricks of Kildare that keep returning that cunt should be ashamed of themselves. Though doubtless they will just dutifully vote in his nasty piece of work son when the old cunt finally retires. Big House cunts.
              I'm quite good friends with one of his sons. He is mortified by this. He is far too enthusiastically and gloriously fabulous to be a fine gael TD, or a TD of any description. Now his brother the councillor on the other hand.....

This stuff plays really well with old people. It is of course complete and total nonsense.

Comment

Tis the brother I mean. Makes Dan "keen interest in Thai Culture" Neville's son seem like a worthy not at all Kendall Roy like scion.

Comment

https://twitter.com/amconmag/status/1462118546205466629?s=21

Comment

Yes. Well.

Comment

A difference that does not make it difference is no difference.

Comment

They call this monstrosity "coddle":

https://twitter.com/LNBDublin/status/1462847739994251271

Comment

Is that meant to look like a disembowelment?

Comment

I'm not sure 'meant' even matters....

Comment

I don't understand why Coddle is a still thing. Coddle is essentially a thin version of Irish Stew, except instead of having mutton, or stewing beef, you..... you boil rashers and sausages. It's peasant food, cooked by peasants who have lost touch with both animals and vegetables. This is a prime piece of "Dublin in the rare old times" posing. You're kind of saying that not only are you a true dub, but both your parents were true dubs, and if their parents weren't true dubs, they at least lived in a time when sausages and rashers were cheaper than stewing mutton.

I remember asking my dad years ago what this coddle thing that the Dublin old ones were chatting about on the Gay Byrne show. and he nearly broke down. "They Boil the sausages and rashers, like americans with their bread sausages. What is wrong with them?" (He was so disappointed by the reality of finally eating a hot dog, that he basically refused to say the name) I suppose it really boils down what are you used to. He was less shocked by Cork people eating Drisheen (Tripe) and Crubeens (Pig's feet)

Comment

Having checked Wiki I'd imagine that a well-cooked coddle is probably quite nice - a slow cooked stew with sausages and bacon as the rather wasted meat component. Lord knows what that thing upthread is though. It looks like a drunk tried to combine a late-night fry-up in an omelette before collapsing on the sofa.

Comment

Extremely sad, baffling and disturbing story:<

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...sleep-upstairs

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                                    I don't understand why Coddle is a still thing. Coddle is essentially a thin version of Irish Stew, except instead of having mutton, or stewing beef, you..... you boil rashers and sausages. It's peasant food, cooked by peasants who have lost touch with both animals and vegetables. This is a prime piece of "Dublin in the rare old times" posing. You're kind of saying that not only are you a true dub, but both your parents were true dubs, and if their parents weren't true dubs, they at least lived in a time when sausages and rashers were cheaper than stewing mutton.

I remember asking my dad years ago what this coddle thing that the Dublin old ones were chatting about on the Gay Byrne show. and he nearly broke down. "They Boil the sausages and rashers, like americans with their bread sausages. What is wrong with them?" (He was so disappointed by the reality of finally eating a hot dog, that he basically refused to say the name) I suppose it really boils down what are you used to. He was less shocked by Cork people eating Drisheen (Tripe) and Crubeens (Pig's feet)
                                    I thought a country lad like yourself would know the difference between drisheen (sheep's blood cooked a la black pudding, but without the oatmeal) and tripe (the lining of a cow's stomach)!

Comment

https://twitter.com/DarranMarshall/status/1463796934146154497

Comment

This has been going on for almost as long as I have been on here

Comment

Thank fuck I don't live near Crokers anymore.

Comment

He did 187 shows (sold out, one assumes) over 5 years at the Wynn in Vegas. One assumes the demand is there. Bewildering, but there.

Comment

Originally posted by Discordant Resonance View Post
                                              I thought a country lad like yourself would know the difference between drisheen (sheep's blood cooked a la black pudding, but without the oatmeal) and tripe (the lining of a cow's stomach)!
                                              I think I knew that and had erased it from my mind. It's horrendous.

I see that Garth has pulled the same stunt as the last time. There's planning permission to hold 1 concert, on top of the other two, already scheduled. He Starts with three, and then throws in another two concerts. This is exactly what happened the last time.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                                                He did 187 shows (sold out, one assumes) over 5 years at the Wynn in Vegas. One assumes the demand is there. Bewildering, but there.
                                                he could do ten concerts in dublin easily. I don't understand it. I got friends in low places is enough to make him a catchy one-hit wonder, it's the hundreds of millions of other record sales that I don't understand.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                                                  And given the current appeal of Las Vegas to a certain type of Irishman, there has to be non-negligible overlap between the two audiences.

My current is hypothesis is karmic retribution for Michael Flatley.

Comment

I think the Vegas residency has a self-fulfilling success component. If you go to Vegas, you figure "I better get tickets to a couple of shows...I mean, we're already there." I don't know how else to explain the astounding success of Celine Dion's residencies. I get that she's 'big', but I don't buy that she's middle-America-1,000 sold out shows in Vegas-big. Elton John maybe, sure.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X