X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep, this was London's suicide bridge:

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/lond...-a3103001.html

Comment

I suffer from open-space vertigo pretty badly, by which I mean that being in high buildings is ok as long as there's a barrier somewhat taller than me in my way. Somewhere like Beachy Head is a nightmare. It's not just my own life I fear for; I am regularly chastised by my family for overreacting if any of them go within 20 metres of even the most innocuous drop.

Comment

That's "walking across the George Washington Bridge" scratched from the activity list then.

Though you should be able to manage the Brooklyn Bridge, which has a metre high barrier, but even more importantly (to me, at least) has the walkway in the centre, rather than on the edge.

Comment

A fellow sufferer?

Comment

Better than I used to be (I've walked across the GWB), but have always struggled somewhat with heights. I vetoed a potential flat with floor to ceiling windows because it gave me the willies. Though I'm completely fine with things like leaning over the edge of subway platforms, which my family finds distressing (as they should, it is a dumb habit).

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
              Though you should be able to manage the Brooklyn Bridge, which has a metre high barrier, but even more importantly (to me, at least) has the walkway in the centre, rather than on the edge.
              You can fall onto a slow moving car on the Brooklyn Bridge though.

Comment

You've got to be committed to doing so, though

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                  A fellow sufferer?
                  I am not alone!

See also Clifton Bridge.

(Jonathan Meades also a fellow sufferer, to the extent when he was filmed on it he crossed on his hands and knees)

Comment

I think it goes to show how long it was since I last walked over there that I was surprised to see those NYPD things on the bridge. Driving one of those is below desk duty.

Comment

Still beats the elevated cage

Comment

I wanted to walk across the BB but couldn't, because my main panic trigger is being unable to quickly escape/ remove myself from the situation, whether it's a bridge, tunnel, stationary vehicle, locked cupboard, etc. Being in the middle of a longish bridge makes me very uneasy, once I've drawn reasonably close to the end I'm OK.
                        Last edited by MsD; 05-08-2019, 16:09. Reason: One is not in the habit of frequenting mobile branches of WHSmith.

Comment

Ah, yes.

The very design elements that make it more comfortable for people like me make it less so for people like you.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                            Still beats the elevated cage

What on earth is that used for?

Comment

Surveillance, particularly of large gatherings or demonstrations.

There was one permanently parked in front of my office during Occupy Wall Street.

Comment

I thought it might be for tree-climbing cats of the 1 percent.

Comment

Seems like drones could do that job easier.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruno View Post
                                    I thought it might be for tree-climbing cats of the 1 percent.
                                    Hahahaha.

Surely someone has tipped that over? I want to tip that over.

Comment

I would not recommend that cause of action, even for a white Irish fellow like yourself.

Comment

'Surveillance' generally suggests stealthy, under-the-radar activity.

That thing couldn't be more obvious if you attached flashing disco lights to it.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post

Hahahaha.

Surely someone has tipped that over? I want to tip that over.
                                          They've thought of that. Check out all the stabilizer 'jacks' on the four corners.

Comment

There are also fully tooled up cops in the van, thus my advice to Berbaslug

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post

They've thought of that. Check out all the stabilizer 'jacks' on the four corners.
                                              Those are inside the footprint of the vehicle, and primarily seem to raise the centre of gravity of the vehicle. They're not going to help when the van is surrounded by people. I'm just a bit confused that a vehicle for crowd control essentially looks like a camper van whose ride has been well and truly pimped.

Comment

I thought that you had a better sense of the culture of the NYPD

The van isn't always used with these things (they have several)

And "crowd control" isn't the real purpose. The central purpose of the contraption is to provide them with a better vantage point from which they can capture video, audio and photos that can be used against the people they are surveilling.
                                                Last edited by ursus arctos; 06-08-2019, 13:09.

Comment

And if they're working undercover, they paper-over the logos....

Comment

The aptly named Michael Buerk.

https://news.sky.com/story/amp/micha...money-11778620

Better to die and not only decrease the surplus population, but also reduce the burden on the NHS.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X