No announcement yet.

The WTF? Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't eat cake, therefore I don't buy cake on my birthday.

I but a selection of savoury things - bread, cheese, etc. - and in my experience that generally goes down better than cake, as a gesture.

Comment

I do a bit of that, other stuff, fruit and shit. Not bread though. What bread do you get people for your birthday?

Comment

Nice fresh baguettes, focaccia maybe? It helps being in London, obvs.

Comment

And you get the sort of cake you like.

American deserts have nothing on South Asian ones when it comes to sweetness.

Comment

Obviously the person who's birthday it is buying the cake is a longstanding tradition in the UK and a good one - it means that the person can choose not to bring in a cake/treat if they don't want to, or make sure that they bring one that they actually want to eat rather than someone bringing something that they dislike, or can't eat for dietary/allergy reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post

Buying cakes for people is a nice thing to do.
              It is. Especially when it's their birthday.

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts View Post
                Nice fresh baguettes, focaccia maybe? It helps being in London, obvs.
                And people just...eat them? Like, big lumps of bread, at their desks?

I'm very much in favour of this obvs, but I'd have thought it a minority pursuit.

Comment

They do, and let me tell you they fucking love it.

Comment

Well then big up to your colleagues, I say.

Comment

I used to bring in jam doughnuts for my extended team every payday.
                      Cost very little, but made 20 people a little bit happier for a time.

Comment

Originally posted by Levin View Post
                        And you get the sort of cake you like.

American deserts have nothing on South Asian ones when it comes to sweetness.
                        Thar > Sonoran?

Comment

El Corte Ingles seems to be trying to recreate a Korean-style chaebol in Spain. I can just about wrap my head around a department store chain buying supermarkets and selling financial services. Tourism is a bit weird, but OK. This, however, was a real WTF moment for me from their recent financials:
                          Elsewhere, new businesses were set up as part of the diversification strategy, e.g. Sicor Alarms and Sweno Energy. Lastly, the Group secured a power distribution license, although it is waiting for the market situation to stabilise before launching this business.

Comment

https://twitter.com/codepend_ant/status/1457991900418424833?s=21

Comment

Scorpions kill three in Egypt after heavy thunderstorms force them into the open

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-59274686

Comment

Brass Against. I will leave you to do the googling. Wouldn't recommend a link.

Comment

A fucking covers band as well, state of this.

Comment

Comment

I wouldn't be quite as happy about this if I were Cody there. The fact is that he's moving into this community from outside and some local cunt has decided to let him know he;s unwelcome. Fuck. I'm glad that whoever it was failed, but I can;t really imagine that this is one of those "oh i learned a valuable lesson, I'll let it go" situations

Comment

I dunno. Probably just some drunk teenagers.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                          I wouldn't be quite as happy about this if I were Cody there. The fact is that he's moving into this community from outside and some local cunt has decided to let him know he;s unwelcome. Fuck. I'm glad that whoever it was failed, but I can;t really imagine that this is one of those "oh i learned a valuable lesson, I'll let it go" situations
                                          Yeah, maybe don't call the local news station about it.

Comment

It's Kentucky. Not a lot of news, I guess.

Comment

I was thinking along the same lines as HP.

Comment

Comment

In the first of those, my main wtf is how a road in Hawaii can be an "interstate"

Comment

I don’t get that either.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X