windowlicker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

windowlicker

I think that was as good an apology as any I've read on here. Good on ya, 'roo. Best of luck with the sleeping.

Comment

windowlicker

I think scouseroo inserted inverted commas for a reason, pebblethefish
      I think pebblethefish may have been being facetious, G.

Comment

windowlicker

(Slight change of subject.)

Wow! I didn't know about this sleep apnoea/apnea thing. I've just looked it up and it sounds horrible. I don't think I've got it. I just snore badly. I also toss & turn quite alot, but this is due to painful shoulders. (I have to sleep on my side or I'll sometimes wake myself up with the snoring.) Unrelated to all of this, I'm just a bit of an insomniac (you may have noticed from the times on some of my posts here) and I usually get about 4 hours sleep a night except at weekends, when I lay in.

As you were...

Comment

windowlicker

And all it's taken is 4 weeks of going to the gym at lunchtime most days. Just 30 - 40 minutes at time.
          I've not even lost a lot of weight really and there's no way that a cross trainer can exercise your soft palate. But by golly I haven't felt like falling asleep during the day for 2 weeks. It's grand.
          Great news Hobbes. For what it's worth 4 weeks of cross-trainer has stopped my snoring. Not in the same league as yours and scouseroo's complaint I know, but you will have converted some fat to muscle.

Best wishes to scouseroo too. I know how miserable one crap night's sleep is. I couldn't imagine what months of that would do to me.

Comment

windowlicker

Oh, when I say I haven't lost much weight, I mean relative to my starting weight.
            I've knocked off the better part of a stone. Only another 6 to go...

Comment

windowlicker

Best wishes to scouseroo too. I know how miserable one crap night's sleep is. I couldn't imagine what months of that would do to me
              The thing is, you DO adjust to a certain extent and learn to function on less proper sleep. And you make it up a bit at weekends.
              The problems come from the havoc it wreaks on your metabolism, your psyche (depression, lack of motivation, disconnectedness, irritability) your heart and your other muscles (through lack of oxygenation while asleep) your diet (through the body craving fast, accessibly energy) and your relationships (it's fucking scary having the person you love stop breathing 20 or 30 times an hour.)

Comment

windowlicker

Going without sleep - or with poor quality sleep - is the worst. When we had our daughter 6 years ago, I was the nighttime guy so my wife could rest. She started sleeping through after...dunno...18 months or so. No problems.

But our son was a nightmare right up until age 3 1/2, about six months ago. I was almost at the end of my rope. If he wasn't calling to me in the night, he was coming to our room to wake me. Fuck, does that play havoc with your overall mental and physical health.

If there's anything at all I can offer to the sufferers, it's to try meditation. I don't know whether it could help with the waking up, but it really helps set your body and mind straight before you put your head down for the night. A cheap book teaching you the basics is all you need to get going, and there's really no downside to trying.

Comment

windowlicker

Surely six pints is a lot more effective, if somewhat more expensive, remedy?

Comment

windowlicker

pebble: from what I understand, booze disrupts your sleep patterns so that even when you do sleep for a long time, it doesn't acutally amek you that much less tired.

I really feel for you guys (for the apnea thing). I dislocated my hip two years ago and couldn't sleep because of the pain. Made everything 10 times worse.

Comment

windowlicker

Exactly. Apparently if you're not in one of the deeper stages of sleep - I think there are four levels - you're not getting the regenerative effects that your body and mind need. Booze keeps you from getting to the deepest levels.

On the upside, it's been recently disproved that you can't 'catch up on' or bank sleep. Apparently you can do both.

Naps, too, are life saver. 15 or 20 minutes twice a day is enough to replace three or four hours of nighttime sleep. Not forever, certainly, but during rough patches.

Comment

windowlicker

I thought VS might have gone for Bucephalus Bouncing Ball. Though if I'd gone for it I'm pretty sure I would have never been able to log myself in again.

I also had the vague thought that all this Aphex talk might start a wave of name changes across the board. With everyone taking an AFX song title for their user name much like with the Arabian thing a few months ago.

Comment

windowlicker

You ought to go for the Irish spelling of your name...

Comment

windowlicker

I was kind of hoping he went for 'spacker'.

Comment

windowlicker

The_Liquidator wrote:
                              I thought vennegor strokes was one of the best usernames I've ever seen, actually. Bring it back, that's what I say.
                              Unfortunately a poster with chronic erectile problems complained and VS decided to change his name to something less controversial.

Comment

windowlicker

Well Analogue Bubblebath is a much nicer name not to mention a far better tune. Both title and tune are in fact, lovely. I've never been happy with the title Windowlicker, it's just the kind of puerility that eventually put me off the Aphex Twin... though perhaps his music going rubbish in correlation with his increased "irreverence" really swung it.

And I'm glad the name's been changed on here, I hated it and I'm surprised no-one pulled him up although really, nothing was stopping me doing that myself. I always got the impression it was a term from the North of England, perhaps even specifically North West and you know, there's some Irish slang that I scratch my head at, "capper", which I've just discovered through the magic of the internet being a pertinent example.

Saying that I'm sure a few on here would have got it and if the reason he wasn't pulled up was because he's "one of the boys" then that's slightly disappointing.

Comment

windowlicker

The reason I didn't say anything was because I can't be bothered here any more. Which isn't great, I know.

Comment

windowlicker

"Capper" is an odd one, because it's used almost entirely beignly, yet is still incredibly offensive on the face of it.

For those who, well, I won't say it, it's derived from "handicapped". But when someone falls down, or something, they'll say "I nearly cappered myself". That is, not, "I nearly caused myself a handicap", but "I nearly caused myself to become the sort of person who possesses a handicap." Which is a really odd back-coinage.

Comment

windowlicker

Not that odd, I suppose, it's basically the same move as the (abominable) "burglarise".

Comment

windowlicker

The name TonTon has deeply shocked and offended me for quite some time. Years even. As he's well aware, it's short for Tonton Macoutes - the murderous Haitian paramilitary force created in 1959 and reporting directly to François 'Papa Doc' Duvalier until his death in 1971.

Some of you might know TonTon by his 'civilian' name, and think him a kindly, jovial, soccer-loving, mild-mannered accountant. Not so. He's a Haitian paramilitary sympathizer playing possum in London's suburbs until the right moment.

Now, why does this upset me...thousands of miles away? Because, as you likely know, Tonton Macoute translates as "Uncle Gunnysack", and my poor Uncle - who held the keys to the family estate and the numbers to the Swiss bank accounts - was bundled away in a gunnysack some 40 years ago, costing us our fortune and leaving us a middle class (with the soul of a working-class) family in suburban Toronto.

I've said nothing - up til now - because TT can be so damned sensitive.

Comment

windowlicker

Also Sprach Zaratoro wrote:
                                          So to call scouseroo the biggest cock ever on OTF, or whatever, is to trivialise some much, much worse conduct that has taken place here before.
                                          Form is temporary, class is permanent.

QUOTE:
                                          Why not just pick a name and stick with it?

Like you do?

Never willingly changed myself, not knowingly undersold....
                                          Fuck off and stay banned, then.
                                          Says the cyber-warrior to the bishop....

Comment

windowlicker

Did WOM just call me a poof?

Comment

windowlicker

That's it! It's handbags at dawn.

Comment

windowlicker

The TonTon Macoute is what I actually think of whenever I read the name.

Comment

windowlicker

Me too. That and there's a Taunton Road right near my house.

Comment

windowlicker

I think of tits.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X