X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

windowlicker

http://www.songmeanings.net/songs/view/50798/

Similar discussions here.
    Many refer to the window shopper thing.....

Comment

windowlicker

Blimey what a thread. I may be one of the Villa lot but Ive never heard of Aphex Twin or windowlicker either.

But then I'm getting old and I have enough expressions that offend floating around my head as it is.

Comment

windowlicker

Was that said with a French accent, Bored? I'm not going to get you confused with Francoise Pascal in 'Mind Your Language', if that's your aim.)

Bored, recuperating from his operation, yesterday

That french text... As far as I can make out, the French lady in question is saying what sounds like "J'aime faire de craquette au chien" which, (with my very basic grasp of French) means "I prefer the crack of dogs", doesn't it?
        Are you sure it wasn't a dog "croquette" that she prefers?

Comment

windowlicker

I used to love the Aphex Twin, but that was decades ago. Didn't know he was still doing stuff.

Comment

windowlicker

Bored of Education wrote:
            Which one's the banjo player?

This Irish lot all look the same to me
            How many are there in the 'Irish lot'. My perception is that it's three or four.

TMK - formerly AIATL - is the banjo player.

WL was VS and any version of the Stroke. He may have even been Peter O'Hanrahanrahan or something. I think.

That's about all I know.

Tony C remains Tony C, and I remain WOM until I get a new bike.

Comment

windowlicker

I'm glad the vast majority of people on here have the brains to realise that I don't get off on laughing at the mentally handicapped.

Not sure whether to be irritated or amused by Scouseroo's suggestion that, because of my profession, I'm supposed to spend my days seeking out the hidden meanings of strange song titles.

I'm not a music journo, by the way. I'm a sub. I do a small bit of it on the side.

Comment

windowlicker

It's really not hidden, though it clearly isn't in common usage round your way.

Comment

windowlicker

At least half of the people who responded on this thread have said they have no prior knowledge of windowlicker being an insult to handicapped people. Of those who were aware of the connotation, none live in the same country or city as Analogue Bubblebath. Of course it's a hidden meaning to him.

Comment

windowlicker

Analogue Bubblebath is crap. You should change your name to widowlicker. No problems there.

workingstiff should change his name to Cock while we are at it.

I could change my name to Bored Stiff then

Comment

windowlicker

Is it International Deliberate Misunderstanding Day or something?

Comment

windowlicker

Are you sure it wasn't a dog "croquette" that she prefers?
                        Ah! It might well have been.

What's one of them, then?

(I only noticed - and tried to decipher - the voice when I got 'Run Jeremy's Windowlicker' - the (IMHO) superior mix by Trentemoller under the Run Jeremy alias. Thus, it was all a bit Chinese (or French) whispers for me.)

Comment

windowlicker

It must be. What did I misunderstand?

Comment

windowlicker

Analogue Bubblebath is crap...
                            I thought 'Analord' might be a good one. ...But, then, I suppose that is open to its own kind of misinterpretation. Ho hum.

Comment

windowlicker

I just had a creeping feeling this thread would be up to 5 pages by the time I'd visited it next.

Comment

windowlicker

Analogue Bubblebath is a great name.

I've just spoken to someone who wrote the book on Warp Records, literally, and he didn't know of the term windowlicker. It's clearly not a widely known term.

Comment

windowlicker

It's clearly not a widely known term.
                                  Well, it is where I'm from. Not that it matters.

It's interesting that the guy who wrote said book didn't know it, when Richard James obviously did.

Comment

windowlicker

OK...I'll start with an apology - I went in studs up when a softly softly approach would've been the way.

My excuse...I'm suffering sleep apnea, haven't slept properly in god knows how long. I'm fucking exhausted...no, not "I've been up 72 hours straight" exhausted, but I've been up 6 months straight" exhausted.

I stumble through the week, looking forward to Saturday and Sunday when I can stay in bed for 12 hours and doze on and off.

The CPAP aint working - yet. I need my tonsils removed which is another sodding expense.

I've caught myself twice the past week abusing cyclists who ignore red lights at pedestrian crossings - monday morning I swear I was a hairs breadth from kicking out his back wheel and sending the little shite flying.

Tuesday we saw The Specials at The Enmore and only the fact that I know I would've ended up a bloody pulp in a corner stopped me from starting something with the drunken skinheads constantly barging their way past us on the way to the bar (I got great satisfaction in 'accidentally' tripping one of them sending 4 beers flying)

So its been building, and I needed to get it out.

The user name 'windowlicker' has been bugging me for a while, apart from anything else I couldn't understand why one of his mates (yeah "the irish lot" - no offense intended just an unfortunate turn of phrase which I suppose with the tone of the rest of the post, well, you know...) didn't have a quiet word with him and explain it really is an offensive term and he should change it. To me it is (or was) quite a common term of abuse and ignorance was no excuse. I didn't have a clue who the guy was and one look at his username didn't exactly leave me in a position to read his posts objectively.

It touched a nerve and has done for a while because, apart from the offensiveness of the term, to me the use of it unquestioned on OTF has represented the kind of slide towards the casual/lazy racism (to use WOMs phrase from t'other thread) which I see and hear more and more in the real world and I really don't want to see on here.

So yeah - I apologise to TAFKAWL - I needed to kick off, you were in the blast area. I'm sorry.

Right I'm off to bed.

Comment

windowlicker

Of course the name Aphex Twin refers to Richard James's sibling, who died tragically young - perhaps stillborn. It's a very emotive name. so I wouldn't assume his use of the term windowlicker is necessarily in bad taste.

Comment

windowlicker

Scouseroo wrote:
                                        My excuse...I'm suffering sleep apnea, haven't slept properly in god knows how long. I'm fucking exhausted...no, not "I've been up 72 hours straight" exhausted, but I've been up 6 months straight" exhausted.

I stumble through the week, looking forward to Saturday and Sunday when I can stay in bed for 12 hours and doze on and off.
                                        Well, then you haven't done 6 months without sleep then, have you? You went to sleep at the weekend, so you should be fine. You really haven't thought his through.

Comment

windowlicker

WornOldMotorbike wrote:
                                          Which one's the banjo player?

This Irish lot all look the same to me
                                          How many are there in the 'Irish lot'. My perception is that it's three or four.

TMK - formerly AIATL - is the banjo player.

WL was VS and any version of the Stroke. He may have even been Peter O'Hanrahanrahan or something. I think.

That's about all I know.

Tony C remains Tony C, and I remain WOM until I get a new bike.
                                          O'Hanraha-hanrahan was me, one of the not-Irish lot

Comment

windowlicker

I thought vennegor strokes was one of the best usernames I've ever seen, actually. Bring it back, that's what I say.

Comment

windowlicker

My excuse...I'm suffering sleep apnea, haven't slept properly in god knows how long. I'm fucking exhausted...no, not "I've been up 72 hours straight" exhausted, but I've been up 6 months straight" exhausted
                                              I know how you feel mate. It's a shocker. And it'd be easier to sleep in Club 414 on Captain Tinrib night than with one of those fucking CPAP masks on.

Tell you what though, for the first time in about 6 or 7 years, the last week or so, I've been sleeping through the night, without having to get up for a wee at least once. Not that I've not had any apnoeas of course, but that they've not completely woken me up.
                                              And all it's taken is 4 weeks of going to the gym at lunchtime most days. Just 30 - 40 minutes at time.
                                              I've not even lost a lot of weight really and there's no way that a cross trainer can exercise your soft palate. But by golly I haven't felt like falling asleep during the day for 2 weeks. It's grand.

Comment

windowlicker

I wonder if I have sleep apnea? It'd certainly explain a lot.

Comment

windowlicker

Well, then you haven't done 6 months without sleep then, have you? You went to sleep at the weekend, so you should be fine. You really haven't thought his through.
                                                  I think scouseroo inserted inverted commas for a reason, pebblethefish.

Comment

windowlicker

Just one tiny thing - "mentally handicapped" should really be said as "person with an intellectual disability", please. Remember, they are always a person first.

Not having a go in any way, just that having studied psychology for 5 years and covered a lot of intellectual disabilities it kinda bugs me to see it called anything but.

And of course I know VS meant no offence whatsoever (or anyone else who has used the term "mentally handicapped" on this thread).

Comment

Working...
                                                    X