windowlicker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

windowlicker

Right - I'm generally a lurker, I don't have the time to enter into many debates and the time difference with most posters means I'm asleep while most of you are arguing the toss over whatever...
    With that in mind of course excuse me if I say my piece then bugger off (I have work to do) and dip in now and then.

I raised this on the Esther Rantzen/Veggie MP thread but it sorta got drowned in the deluge.

On this board we generally have a pretty healthy intolerance for, well intolerance if you like. Offensive or denigrating slang or nicknames are by and large challenged and debated. Witness several threads about the acceptability of using the terms 'septics' or 'chavs'. We stop short of "PC gone mad" (to use the cliche) but, you know, any poster who uses negative or derogatory language to describe any group of people is usually called on it.

So what's the story with windowlicker ?

Yep, I know it's an Aphex Twin track - and (or so he seems to claim) his favourite Aphex Twin track - which suggests there is even less excuse for him to claim he doesn't know what 'windowlicker' is a derogatory term for.

Now I would, genuinely, like to know why he thinks that is an acceptable user name - is he just ignorant of the meaning (look - to save you a Google - its derogatory slang for a mentally handicapped kid, now you know OK?) and if so now he knows will he change it to something less offensive.

Or does he just not give a fuck?

I might also ask why he's never been called on this before? He's one of the irish lot so is he just someone's idiot cousin they tolerate but largely ignore?

windowlicker

I didn't realise it was a derogatory term, I've certainly never heard it used as such (not to say that it isn't). The only frame of reference I have is in connection to the Aphex Track.

Comment

windowlicker

Yeah, same here, and I know he's a music journalist and Aphex Twin fan (it is pretty much everyone's favourite Aphex Twin track, by the way).

Still,
      He's one of the irish lot so is he just someone's idiot cousin they tolerate but largely ignore?
      heads up a very ugly path and appears to undo your righteous stance, Scouseroo. You're about to get pulled up on that, I reckon.

Comment

windowlicker

I’d not been aware of this alternative meaning of it either. To me, it was -- and still is -- an extraordinary piece of music with a very vivid title.

If this person abhors it, then I’ll consider altering it to something else. But in the meantime, there are a couple of things that he’s going to have to do first.

Such as apologising fully and sincerely for calling me an “idiot cousin” of “the Irish lot”, and also apologising for calling me a liar for saying that it is my favourite Aphex Twin track, which it is.

(or so he seems to claim) his favourite Aphex Twin track
        I really don't appreciate stuff like the above.

Until he ceases acting like an aggressive bell-end, and until he apologises -– sincerely –- for both of the above things, I’m not going to give him the time of day, let alone change my username.

Comment

windowlicker

erm, "...the Irish lot...

Don't really see the problem in that to be honest. Should I have said ...the irish clique...

As for idiot cousin - OK maybe that was a cheap jibe and I apologise, bit pissed off and let my gob run away with itself - it happens.

Having said that if you are a music journalist and it is your favourite Aphex Twin track what exactly is your excuse for not knowing what 'windowlicker' means?

Comment

windowlicker

if you are a music journalist and it is your favourite Aphex Twin track what exactly is your excuse for not knowing what 'windowlicker' means?

What sort of a bizarre non-sequitur is that? How does it being my favourite Aphex track correlate to me thus automatically being aware of the other meaning? I don't exactly hang out in the sort of circles where I regularly hear derisive terms for mentally handicapped people being uttered.

it happens.
            Well, perhaps it does happen, to you at any rate, but you're going to have to do better than that for an apology. And you still have not apologised for twice calling me a liar -- instead, you're just coming out with more of this "what exactly is your excuse" insinuatory stuff.

Comment

windowlicker

If that's the significance of the name, then I'm not hugely comfortable with it.

But firstly, to (continue to) insinuate that WL is being malicious or disingenuous on the point is utterly fucking ludicrous. And secondly, scouseroo is being one of the utterest fucking cocks I have ever seen on this board.

Yeah, I say that as one of "the Irish lot". Fucking bite me.

Comment

windowlicker

It's also something that toddlers will do, the little halfwits.

Comment

windowlicker

I'll think of a new username tomorrow at some point, because frankly I don't want to use this one any more.

But I won't be called a liar, or insulted for it.

Comment

windowlicker

It will be your preseason unveiling.

Comment

windowlicker

if you are a music journalist and it is your favourite Aphex Twin track what exactly is your excuse for not knowing what 'windowlicker' means?

What sort of a bizarre non-sequitur is that? How does it being my favourite Aphex track correlate to me thus automatically being aware of the other meaning?
                      Well...all I meant was that if you are a journalist (I'm not questioning if you are I just don't know other than from what LL said) I merely wonder why it had never occured to you what the title of the track meant, or to find out.

But hey, you know now...whilst I am apparently

one of the utterest fucking cocks (Toro has) ever seen on this board
                      No mean feat, I'm sure you'll agree. So it's been an educational day for both of us.

And I say that as one of the "Australian lot"

Comment

windowlicker

I didn't know there was an Aphex Twin track called windowlicker. I'm only aware of the alternative meaning. However, having spent more than twenty seconds reading this site, I knew there was no way TAFKAMM would be referring to that, so I assumed there was summat else behind it.

Comment

windowlicker

To be honest, I thought there was probably a 1970s footballer called Gustav Windowlicker, who won the Copa del Vimto with Spartanken Reinheitsgebot.

Comment

windowlicker

Nor did I. And I had to google 'windowlicker' the first time I saw it, and thought it was a bit off colour.

But I don't think WL is who you think he is - if I read TAFKAMM correctly. MM is MS now. TAFKAWL used to be VS. If you follow. Which I believe you will. Unless you've been garage boozing again. And I say that as one of the Canuck lot.

Comment

windowlicker

Whenever I see a post by him on this thread, I read it as 'widowlicker' but that's his own private business.

Anyway, the only blatant lie from TAFKAVS on this thread is to claim that windowlicker is Aphex Twin's best song.

In his support, I'm also an Aphex Twin fan and never throught to look up the term's meaning, but I'm glad he's changed his name now that I know.

Comment

windowlicker

Rory Bunk wrote:
                                Whenever I see a post by him on this thread, I read it as 'widowlicker' but that's his own private business.
                                That's what I thought it was also.

Aphex Twin, though...eh, never really got him, to be honest.

Comment

windowlicker

WOM - TAFKAVS also used to be FKAMM, as well as FKAJ, FKAHL, AFKAMH.

Comment

windowlicker

Why not just pick a name and stick with it?

To be fair to JO'B, pretty sure there wasn't any intention to cause offence.
                                    Though there do seem to be a no.of people waiting for even the slightest transgression of any sort, which kinda makes me wonder about their 'reality'....

Comment

windowlicker

Like you do?

Anyway, as the Seffrican lot, I'm dismayed at the tendency to apply the most uncharitable interpretation before lunging in with both feet. scouseroo did get carried away, making presumptions about TAFKAWL.

I can fully understand that TAFKAWL would be very upset at that post, especially the very ill-advised "idiot cousin" line. I'd be pissed off too.

But I also wonder what caused scouseroo to react in such a way. The username must have struck a raw nerve somewhere. I can't see a reason why somebody would react with such ill-tempered self-righteousness otherwise, especially if he has not shown (to my recollection) similar behaviour previously. So to call scouseroo the biggest cock ever on OTF, or whatever, is to trivialise some much, much worse conduct that has taken place here before.

And EIM, you are a genius.

Comment

windowlicker

G.Man wants a hyphen wrote:
                                        Like you do?
                                        Never willingly changed myself, not knowingly undersold....

Comment

windowlicker

Maybe those of us in the Scouse/Cumbrian lot keep coarser company than the rest of you, but frankly I am astonished that there is anyone under the age of 60 who hasn't heard the WL term used in derogatory terms (I'm not doubting any of you, by the way - just shaking my head incredulously at the sheltered lives you've managed to lead).

My question would be - now that you know what the term means, does it put any of you off Aphex Twin for being such a cock as to title his song thusly?

Comment

windowlicker

I didn't know it meant anything other than the song. I think the song's wildly overrated though. Never liked it. I seem to remember the video for the song was banned - related to the title?

As for changing usernames, I assumed vennegor strokes went out of the window when Vennegor left Celtic.

Comment

windowlicker

Until I read this thread I genuinely thought his name was Widowlicker.

Comment

windowlicker

I'm with BorG here, in being astonished that anyone wouldn't know what "windowlicker" means.

Comment

windowlicker

I'd never heard the alternative meaning either. I think TAFKAWL was right both to change his name and to be upset at the way in which it was brought up. I also agree with G-Man that there has to be some reason why scouseroo chose uncharacteristically to go in studs up.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X