• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mont St Michel, my belle - Tour de France 2016

Kevchenko wrote: Valverde with a Judge Dredd style helmet
    Ha. Got a link?

Comment

I'll see if I can do a screen grab when he comes back on.

Comment

Here's a Daily Mail image link for it, in fact.

Edit: Ah, good, it worked. My PC shows me cat gifs whenever I try to access that particular website.

Comment

Comment

I think everyone wants to see Romain Bardet do well here to set him up for the final stages, but is putting Merckx and Hinault in the car behind him going to settle his nerves?

Comment

Porte is on a massive charge, beating Dumoulin at the first check.

Comment

Porte now behind Dumoulin on the second split...

Purito was only 3 seconds behind Kreuziger on GC before today but beat him by 15 seconds in the ITT. Very unusual for Rodriguez to make gains on a time trial, but there we go.

Comment

Great ride from Aru.

Comment

Quintana going like a bag of spanners again.

Comment

Damage limitation for Quintana, pretty much in keeping with the rest of his race.

Some fuckwit put a bottle on the road in front of Froome.

Comment

Mollema and Yates with similar times, but slower than others. Two of the podium places should be quite open.

Comment

Nailed it.

Comment

That's it for the victory unless Froome has a massive collapse. Now let's see if any of the riders behind can attack for podium places, or if Sky will just keep the whole thing locked down.

Comment

General classification after stage 18:

1 Christopher Froome (GBr) Team Sky 77:55:53
                              2 Bauke Mollema (Ned) Trek-Segafredo 0:03:52
                              3 Adam Yates (GBr) Orica-BikeExchange 0:04:17
                              4 Nairo Quintana (Col) Movistar Team 0:04:37
                              5 Romain Bardet (Fra) AG2R La Mondiale 0:04:58
                              6 Richie Porte (Aus) BMC Racing Team 0:05:00
                              7 Fabio Aru (Ita) Astana Pro Team 0:06:08
                              8 Alejandro Valverde (Spa) Movistar Team 0:06:37
                              9 Louis Meintjes (RSA) Lampre - Merida 0:07:15
                              10 Daniel Martin (Irl) Etixx - Quick-Step 0:07:18
                              The battle for podium places should be fascinating.

Comment

Still getting caught up (I've been on vacation), but man do I love the onboard camera videos the tour posts on youtube.

Comment

My only interest in this is Bardet's podium at 66/1 e/w, I was very pleased with his ride today, but suspect the Porte-Froome old pals' double act might do for him.

Comment

That route was the return back to Mégeve after L'Etape, we were in a car; but there were some poor sods still coming back at 9pm totally shot on their bikes - no navettes on the Sunday. They missed most of the Euro final I guess (lucky sods).

They were travelling a lot slower than that, in fact I think our car was travelling slower than that.

Good luck with Col de Bloody Jeux Plane tomorrow guys!
                                    Edit / that's not till Saturday- well enjoy it then anyway

Comment

Given Movistar's interest and lead in the team competition, surprised they've let two BMC riders go in the early move.

Comment

Astana have rolled the dice, they've managed to get five (!) riders off the front of the peloton. Nibs, Fuglsang, Tiralongo but not Aru. Purito came across, now Movistar have had to react. This may very well peter out into nothing, but it's fascinating to watch.

Comment

Interesting! I suppose if Astana are up the road it will make the pace very hard later on, which could be what Aru is after. He might fancy his chances of moving further up the GC. But he's got to make up a lot of time to overtake anyone.

Comment

Aru v Quintana GT head-to-head:

2014 Giro: Aru 3rd, Quintana 1st
                                            2014 Vuelta: Aru 5th, Quintana DNF
                                            2015 Vuelta: Aru 1st, Quintana 4th

Quintana might be touted as Froome's biggest threat in most GTs in the past couple of years, but actually I don't think he's proven to be better than Aru. Maybe Aru wants to make a statement about his ability versus Quintana's?

Comment

That's a good point about Aru, and he's certainly got the momentum with him at this stage of the race.

Astana's move got pulled back, but now they're all sat on the front of the peloton for the valley bit. I hope they're going to attack once the climbing restarts rather than simply trying to out-Sky Sky.

Matthews won the intermediate sprint in Doussard, I went there on a family holiday 20 years or so ago.

Comment

Interview with Kim Andersen (Trek-Segafredo). Says his concern for Mollema is that Sky can afford to let some attacks go given Froome's lead, which will give others license to try to put time into Mollema (and he said Yates might be concerned about this too).

Comment

Matt Rendell has just said that Pendle Hill in Lancashire is a combination of various linguistic origins, and it means "hill hill hill". Who says you don't get educational programmes on ITV?

Comment

Just sat down to watch today's stage. I'm hoping to see plenty of attacks and Sky let the others genuinely fight for the podium places without really influencing the result.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X