MLB 2022: Pitchers Hit the Bench

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ohtani ended up going eight innings.

Two hits, 13 strikeouts and a 5-0 win for the Halos.

Shohei Ohtani. Good at baseball.

Comment

https://twitter.com/TheAthletic/status/1539828788166631424

Comment

A few early games today. After I finish with Atl Nacional-Tolima in the Colombia futbol final, I'll tune in for some of the Dodgers-Reds while I work. Hoping for a repeat of the last two games (esp. because the Dodgers were not relying on the HR for all of their offense).

Dodgers and Padres meet soon. Unfortunately, the Dodgers finish a later road game, travel that night, land overnight, and then play the Padres. If I was a bettin' man, I'd guess the Padres will take that first game.

Comment

Kershaw - Hunter Greene is a nice pitching matchup.

Only three night games, with clubs trying to get to their weekend destinations at a decent hour.

Comment

Does anyone have a link for free unofficial MLB broadcasts? I used to have one that had links for local radio coverage too, which could be fun to go to sleep to.

Comment

They are very protective of their IP, so that can be problematic

There is, however, a free game every day on MLB.TV

Today's is Cincinnati and the Dodgers.

Comment

Mariners have scored twice at the top of the 9th to take the score to 2-1 against the As. They have had no hits this inning.

​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by delicatemoth View Post
                  Does anyone have a link for free unofficial MLB broadcasts? I used to have one that had links for local radio coverage too, which could be fun to go to sleep to.
                  There was a sub reddit that had links that I used a few years back but I think it's dead now. I would look around Reddit.

Dodgers blasted the Reds again. One bad inning by Beckford that allowed the Reds back into the game and then the Dodgers hit more. Beckford was pitching well. Justin Turner backed up on hard hit ball that made for a nearly impossible out at first and that seemed to get Beckford out of his rhythm. I think if JT had gone forward and made the out, the scoreline would not look as close.

Comment

I will add that one thing about that 98 Yankees team is that they were never done and came from behind a lot. This team seems to do the same. Tonight they didn't have a hit after the first (? maybe the third?) and came back in the bottom of the ninth with Judge hitting the walk off single. He's got an arbitration hearing on Friday. I can't believe the Yankees have let it get to an arb hearing and have to expect a deal will be reached before that hearing.

Comment

https://twitter.com/ktsharp/status/1540161954941046784?s=21&t=P130vYT8BXtH2ITJKUq3cg

Comment

NYY and Judge settle for one year at 19 million to avoid arbitration
                        Last edited by ursus arctos; 25-06-2022, 01:06.

Comment

Dodgers take the first of three against Atlanta. Freddie was in tears during his first at bat but luckily worked a walk. I think Anderson might have been a bit flustered by the length of the pre-game recognition of Freddie and the Dodgers were able to do some damage in that first inning. Kimbrel ended with a relatively smooth 9th for him.

Jays are currently thumping the Brewers and Phils-Padres is 0-0 in the bottom of the third. That's probably it for me tonight with baseball so I'll watch highlights tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by delicatemoth View Post
                            I spent many an evening trawling the internet trying to find radio commentary. Occasionally I'd get lucky but a few nights later it'd be gone so I've resorted to an mlb.tv audio subscription which considering I use it just about every evening is well worth the $3 per month. I just looked and an annual pass is $20 but I cancel in October and renew in April so works out about the same.

If you just want to listen to live baseball then the minor league site https://www.milb.com/live-stream-games/audio has loads of radio links from AAA to Low A and can offer a real slice of smalltown American life, though not so much since the contraction of the Rookie leagues.

Comment

Astros with a combined no hitter against the Yankees. Three pitchers to get the job done.

Comment

The only two no-hitters thrown against the Yankees in my lifetime were both combined no-hitters by Houston (the 2003 one used six pitchers).

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                  The only two no-hitters thrown against the Yankees in my lifetime were both combined no-hitters by Houston (the 2003 one used six pitchers).
                                  Wow. I just looked up how many times they've been no-hit and it was a long time prior to 2003. I am surprised because they were so bad in the mid 1980s - the early 1990s.

https://www.nonohitters.com/

It's obviously more interesting and perhaps more romantic when a starter goes the full 9, but I respect Dusty's awareness of his starter. Anderson went 8+ in his start before the last one because he had a no-hitter. In the last one he gave up 4 runs in a short start. I know Dave Roberts was hoping that no-hitter was ended around the 6th because Anderson is basically a 6-inning guy.

Comment

They also have only been no hit twice on the road since their origin in 1903.

The other six have all been at home, which is especially striking because the Stadium(s) being hitter's parks is considered one of the main reasons why they have had so few (the Cubs were tied with them until today).
                                    Last edited by ursus arctos; 25-06-2022, 23:30.

Comment

Dodgers with another pitching injury (Hudson out for the year with a torn ACL). This is where the Dodgers' willingness to go above the luxury tax cap comes into play compared to a team like the Twins. Man for man, the Dodgers haven't signed that many free agents (Freddie and Mookie in terms of external players--although Mookie's contract didn't kick in until year 2, I still consider that a free agent signing). But the Dodgers are willing to pay to stock up on pitching and can afford to do that. I think any other team besides the Dodgers, Mets, Yankees, or Red Sox would be decimated by these pitching injuries.

Harper hit by Snell and out for a while with a fractured thumb. He already has that tear in his UCL.

Comment

And Snell happy to 'hit the bench' in the NL.

Comment

Snell was apologetic. Harper was pissed, but understood that this is baseball.

Yankees are being no hit through 5, so currently they at at 15 no innings of no hit baseball, counting the 9th inning from Friday, all of Saturday, and the first 5 today.

Comment

An actual brawl

https://twitter.com/bubbaprog/status/1541161796731654144?s=21&t=4ieF5CJ3x3hOWxW0F_rRBg

Comment

And only the nine ejections.

Comment

Judge walks it off for the Evil Empire with a three run dinger in the tenth

Comment

Rays 4-2 Pirates

I am basically incapable of taking a holiday without watching sports, so this afternoon we found ourselves at the Trop for this one. McClanahan is pitching really solidly at the moment and threw another no-walk stint with 10 strikeouts. Even so, it was tightly balanced until Rays had an out call overturned on review which was followed by a hit from Choi and a double from the currently prolific Paredes to go 4-1 up in the 7th. Pirates hit the only homer of the day in the 8th but Rays closed it out nicely.

Comment

Wow, that is a real brawl. Not the usual baseball jaw jacking. I always worry about the pitchers after that one fight when Chris Bosio (sp?) fell and injured his shoulder. But the rest of the guys should have at it. I'm sure this is a product of having teams do home and away series. MLB really needs to mix up the series a bit more given the regional proximity of clubs.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X