No announcement yet.

Is This Your Celebrated Summer? - International Cricket in England 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did anyone see Nasser Hussain and Rob Key analysing my son Dylan's (a.k.a. TopManager) batting on SKY TV this morning? I missed it, but apparently they weren't very complimentary of Dylan's ability to deal with the short ball.

Comment

Robinson: Probably the right thing? They can’t just do nothing and attempt to gloss over it.

I don’t want the review to just conclude ‘he was young and stupid’. What he wrote was abhorrent. There needs to be some sort of serious and ongoing commitment of
      Robinson to some kind of anti-racism effort.

Comment

Originally posted by diggedy derek View Post
        What he wrote was abhorrent
        What did he write?

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
          New Zealand
          - batted first
          - are within a point of the top of the world test rankings
          - are in the final of the world test cricket championship this summer
          - are at full strength
          - are - unlike other test teams - relatively comfortable in English conditions
          - are, if it's not obvious, very, very good right now.

England were batting last on a deteriorating wicket where for a while the ball was moving off the seam and spinning and bouncing unevenly.

Anyone who thinks a draw isn't a perfectly respectable result, and something to play for with 2 sessions left, hasn't been concentrating.
          NZ aren't quite full strength without Trent Boult, no? Obviously your points all still stand.

Comment

DG, I admit I haven’t seen all the tweets, but one using the N-word, and some toxic bro misogyny

Comment

Simon Mann is quite good on it in the Analyst podcast I think. He suggests the ECB could have made a stand by simply dropping him immediately from the team - presumably playing with ten players.

Comment

There is a non-exhaustive selection of the tweets at the link below. There is no way that I would embed them.

https://twitter.com/dafrankland/stat...36689096572934

Comment

They are worse than I was aware.

Comment

The Tories are taking the line that the ECB have over-reacted and should reconsider. Johnson and his cabinet are essentially taking the Trump route now of defending or minimizing any racist or misogynistic act they can spin as having been blown out of all proportion by the 'liberal establishment', which now apparently includes the England football team and the ECB.

As Dobell points out, it's particularly dangerous that the Tories are taking this line on cricket because the ECB has needed govt permission to get games on and crowds in. The Tories have the power to sabotage even the very limited progress that sport is making on race and gender. These are dangerous times, as we've already seen with the attacks on basic Trans rights.

Comment

There is now another case

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/a...ontent-1265504

Comment

He's not being named because he was under 16 when he Tweeted the shit but it will be hard to disguise his identity given they will have to suspend him.

A lot of young cricketers must be sweating, and the older ones are only in the clear because Twitter arrived too late to capture their views before they learned to keep them private.
                        Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 08-06-2021, 00:07.

Comment

Again, it is surprising that such crap hasn't been deleted en masse before England selection becomes a possibility.

I don't think the ECB are doing forensic investigations

Comment

Yeah, Ben Gardner of Wisden is on TV now explaining why they're doing it, and their focus is squarely on how the ECB is handling these matters (or not). They have been in touch with them about this matter. It seems the tweet, and there was apparently just one, has already been deleted
                            Last edited by diggedy derek; 08-06-2021, 10:19.

Comment

Christ, they're charging ?10 for a rail shuttle to the WTC? Sod that, I may have been considering a ?150 ticket for a day of cricket on the direct sale but that's pushed me over the edge to not bothering.

Comment

Gower is supporting the government line, disappointingly. Buttler and Morgan seem to have done some tweeting about Indian speech patterns in 2017-18* and Anderson made a homophobic joke about Broad's looks in 2010. None of this is suprising except, as noted above, the lack of any sweeping of these social media histories by the ECB's PR people and, accordingly, the absence of any disciplinary policy.

*although 2017-18 is surprisingly recent for two players (who were already in the side and key to the World Cup preparations) to be dicing with this stuff.
                                Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 09-06-2021, 01:24.

Comment

https://twitter.com/cricket_ali/status/1402596345068797957

Comment

Nobody is happier than me that crowds are back but these Barmy Army/pisshead wankers at Edgbaston are making the coverage almost unlistenable. 'Don't Take Me Home' for hours on end interspersed with 'g*d save the q***n' every ten minutes and they are up in the mix on both TMS and Sky.

It's not even Saturday yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                                      Nobody is happier than me that crowds are back but these Barmy Army/pisshead wankers at Edgbaston are making the coverage almost unlistenable. 'Don't Take Me Home' for hours on end interspersed with 'g*d save the q***n' every ten minutes and they are up in the mix on both TMS and Sky.

This

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post

Completely agree with you on that Ray, not helped by the fact that many who should know better, keep referring to the Hollies as the Party Stand, which is just going to encourage the boneheads even more.

Comment

"Anything is Possible" with Will Young at the crease...

Comment

Do we talk about SA in WI here? Or elsewhere?

Comment

Yeah, here is fine. I did ponder titling the thread for the Northern Hemisphere and should have.

Comment

Young has to leave right now: Lawrence's quirky leg spin removes him with the last ball of the day. That gives England a lift, they've been struggling to defend what is obviously a sub par total.

England will complain about that 'dropped' catch but in truth they've never been ahead in this game for any length of time.

Comment

All this with no Williamson.

Comment

Their depth is extremely impressive, though less likely to be decisive in the single match final

Comment

Working...
                                                    X