Is This Your Celebrated Summer? - International Cricket in England 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is This Your Celebrated Summer? - International Cricket in England 2021

Do we have a specific international cricket thread for the northern hemisphere summer? Given New Zealand, Sri Lanka, Pakistan and India all tour England (with the former and latter playing out the World Test Championship Final later this month while they're here ) it seems worthwhile.

The Lord's NZ test starts tomorrow and I've just picked up a ticket for Friday via a surreptitious release on their website. With the weather finally playing ball after my freezing day at The Oval less than a fortnight ago I'm very excited.
    Last edited by Ray de Galles; 01-06-2021, 19:19.

Enjoy the Sun. Hopefully it will inspire the Black Caps

Comment

Devon Conway of NZ joins Malcolm on list of "Minor Counties who played Tests".

Comment

Big Rakheem Kernow more recently

Comment

Can we chuck in SA in WI as well?

Good news about world cups. The big one goes back to 14 teams (two groups of 7 going into a super six) from 2027. The T20 will be 20 teams (four groups of five, followed by a super 8).

Comment

654 days since there was last a Test at Lords. Wow.

James Anderson pulls level with Cook as England's most capped player. That said, I think Cook's record of 159 consecutive matches will more than stand the test of time.

Comment

It's one of those records that the future structure of the game will make impossible to break. England will have a rotation policy most years, and T20 means they won't play 159 Tests in the required number of years for a player's career to last that long.

This is even more true of the records for the other nations, especially outside the big 3, such as SL and WI. They're all a product of particular era when the frequency of Tests peaked. It's a shame that the next set of great players don't have a chance on the accumulation stats, only on averages. It's like the athletics world records that were set before better drug testing.
              Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 02-06-2021, 10:53.

Comment

I missed that Anderson and Broad were both playing.

Comment

No spinner either.

Comment

I read something trying to pitch Root as the frontline spinner

Comment

The very, All Lives Matter moment at the start was a bit of a joke.

Comment

What was the All Lives Matter type thing? Just curious to keep on top of these things

From the outside, giving some recognition to BLM just doesn’t seem so hard. If players want to do it, you let them, no questions asked.

Comment

https://twitter.com/ESPNcricinfo/status/1400031992289320960

It just feels like it's diluting what people are standing for.

Comment

It did rather emphasise the all white nature of both sides (I am assuming all the NZ players are Pakeha?).

Edit : Ah, forgot Ross Taylor's Samoan heritage (and full name) - silly me!
                            Last edited by Ray de Galles; 02-06-2021, 13:14.

Comment

Thanks Levin.

absolutely lame.

Comment

So, make your test debut at Lords, and immediately score a century. Frequent occurence?

Comment

Strauss managed it v New Zealand in 2004. I assume they've been talking about other occurrences on TMS as I came off the phone a little earlier to hear them talking about Hussain running Strauss out in that match.

Comment

I was there that day. Only time that I've been to Lords. I was with a couple of ex-otfers and we met up with a still current one.

Comment

Originally posted by Levin View Post
                                      The very, All Lives Matter moment at the start was a bit of a joke.
                                      The historical racist tweets from Robinson that have just been unearthed/circulated aren't going to help.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                                        So, make your test debut at Lords, and immediately score a century. Frequent occurence?
                                        I think TMS said it was the sixth occasion. Sourav Ganguly in 1996 possessing the highest score with 131.
                                        Last edited by Greenlander; 02-06-2021, 17:23. Reason: Got the highest score incorrect.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post

The historical racist tweets from Robinson that have just been unearthed/circulated aren't going to help.
                                          This isn't new, I'm sure it's was brought up a few years back but maybe as a mere county player it was easier for the ECB to brush away. However the TMS lot don't seem to be aware of it so maybe I've got it wrong.

Comment

Conway now has the highest score on Test debut at Lord's by some margin, and can add to it tomorrow.

He and Jamieson are two of the most successful new entrants in recent memory

Comment

Every time England fail to pick a spinner they get beaten. Why do they still do it?

Comment

Because they don’t have any international class spinners? (although I do agree with your point).

Comment

They did have an international class spinner, they just fucked him over, because, like many an off spinner before him, he was ineffective against Australia.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X