X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ursus arctos
    replied
    Originally posted by Janik View Post
    What is the record margin in a deciding game?
    This is an interesting question and I don't know the answer.

The one that comes immediately to mind for someone of my age is Game Seven of the 1985 World Series, in which the Kansas City Royals beat their cross-state rivals the St. Louis Cardinals 11-0.

Leave a comment:

• danielmak
    replied
    I got home from work and it was 11-0. I was stunned.

Meanwhile, I was elated just to see that AJ bleepin' Pollock was not in the lineup and better than that it's already 2-0 Dodgers with no outs. It's early so this can all go pear-shaped but I'll take this start for sure.

I don't know who the Dodgers left off the roster among the outfielders. I just saw Verdugo on the bench and don't know why he would have been left off over Pollock. Hopefully Dodgers are through, Pollock is off in the NLCS and WS, and then traded in the off-season for cash or a bucket of balls.

Leave a comment:

• Janik
    replied
    What is the record margin in a deciding game?

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    The Braves revel in disgusting racist stereotypes and abandoned the city for Newt Gingrich land because many of their fans have an issue with people of colour.

The Cardinals also have more troglodyte supporters than the average team.

Leave a comment:

• Greenlander
    replied
    What's the issue with the Braves, St Louis have a massive sense of entitlement, that's why they're reviled right.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    Exactly

Leave a comment:

• Incandenza
    replied
    It's the Devil Birds, but seeing this happen to Atlanta is most enjoyable.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    This escalated quickly

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    Well done Rays

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    .093 average - .694 OPS

i love the guy

Leave a comment:

• danielmak
    replied
    I'm sure if I look back to last year's playoffs, there was somebody playing for the Dodgers or Yankees that was driving me nuts (perhaps Bellinger), but if I compare the Rays' Choi to Pollock, my frustrations with Dave Roberts only increases. If I saw the number correctly last time he batted, Choi is hitting .093 in this post-season. Yet, he continues to draw walks and is making really impressive plays in the field (esp. for a big man). Pollock has done nothing spectacular in the field and has only avoided striking out twice. If Roberts starts this idiot tomorrow night...

Meanwhile, the Rays are doing what they need to do. Amazing relay to stop Altuve from scoring and the Astros from gaining some momentum. And the ball just seems to find Rays' gloves so far. It's still early in the context of this run-scoring environment, but the Rays are looking good for a game 5. I'd like to see the Rays add a few more runs to create more of a buffer. 4-0 isn't really safe if the Astros have a good inning. And I'm excited by a Glasnow/Snell v. Cole matchup in game 5 even though I won't be home to watch it.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    Don't want to jinx it, but this is shaping up to be a memorable night for the club

Leave a comment:

• Hot Pepsi
    replied
    Yeah, the first game was sold out, I read. This one is well-attended by Rays standards but looks about 70%. My brother and nephew are in the upper deck behind home plate.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    There are thousands of empty seats in the upper deck

We are convinced that they changed the levels in the middle of the first, as the crowd reaction to the Rays' homer wasn't as loud as that for the strikeout in the top of the inning.

Leave a comment:

• Hot Pepsi
    replied
    Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
    Have Fox turned the crowd mikes at the Trop WAY UP?
    It is sold out.

Leave a comment:

• danielmak
    replied
    Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
    Are they really pens if none of the four walls are made of chain link or chicken wire?
    Or if the pitchers are protected from away fans dumping beer into the pen.

I went to the Trop a few times when I lived in Tampa; it was very, very sterile. But these were the days when they were finishing in last place. There was a lot of echo and not much noise in the space.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    Have Fox turned the crowd mikes at the Trop WAY UP?

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    Are they really pens if none of the four walls are made of chain link or chicken wire?

Leave a comment:

• danielmak
    replied
    Two completely unrelated items:

First, I think this Astros-Rays game is fascinating because it's a traditional starter who is a stud v. a collection of pen men (BTW there's a book called Pen Men that's really interesting if you are interested in the eccentricities of historical relievers).

Second, I am not a fan at all of the bullpens along the sidelines. I prefer actual pens.

Leave a comment:

• danielmak
    replied
    Yankees keep mashing.

I don't know if there is a different production approach adopted by the networks this year or if something has changed in the stadia but it seems like every time the road team rallies or scores, the stadia are super quiet. I noticed this when the Rays rallied in Houston during the Cole start and ever since then. When Mabin just hit the home run, the same thing. Very, very quiet. I get that home fans are bummed out but my experiences in ball parks are fans either complaining, trying to urge on the home team, or screaming at the visiting team. Even now the fans are making some noise in Minnesota but not after the Mabin home run. It's a weird production move if this is happening among TV crews.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    Bases loaded. No outs. And the Twins can't score. Snakebit.

Leave a comment:

• danielmak
    replied
    Pollock is 0-12 with 10 strikeouts. He swings at sliders that seem closer to the dugout than the plate. I would understand Roberts continuing to go to Pollock if there was nobody else, but the outfield is loaded with options. It's time to go with Hernandez and bench this guy. The only bright side is that he was pinch hitting tonight and is done for the day.

Meanwhile, we have a game that is yesterday's game on its head: Nats rack up runs against the Dodgers' pen and that is about that unless the Dodgers have a miracle in them or Mad Max melts down.

Thriller to end the Braves-Cardinals as well. The only plus side for me is that that series is going to 5. If the Dodgers can win this series, I'd prefer to play the Cardinals.

Leave a comment:

• Hot Pepsi
    replied
    I think the Rays can win this game.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    Rays hitting bombs . . .

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    Given the very significant advantages the Japanese system gives to teams that win the regular season pennants, it isn't surprising that only two non-pennant winners have gone on to win the Japan Series this decade (Lotte in 2010 and SoftBank last season).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X