• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gerontophile
    started a topic MLB 2019

MLB 2019

21st February.

Unfortunately, the thread starts with the sad demise of Frank Robinson.

So, where do Machado and Harper end up? If they drop to 5 year contracts, all the big boys will be in. (Machado to Boston, Harper to Cubs, is my guess. Neither fit the Yankees kid's line-up.)

Here's to the new season. And fuck the Scarlet Longstockings.

• danielmak
    replied
    Originally posted by Incandenza View Post

If I bought tickets to see Dodgers hosting the Yankees, I'd be really pissed off to find out that they were doing this players uniform weekend nonsense instead of seeing the teams wearing their classic uniforms.
    I don't think I ever saw a score for Friday's game. I watched a little of the game yesterday but woke up late and was trying to avoid spoilers (which feature regularly on the Fox news crawl) for Liverpool-Arsenal. I hope to watch tonight's game. Saturday's game seemed to be a thriller at the end. So, it probably sucked to deal with these uniforms but I'd rather see crap uniforms and an exciting game then a blow-out and the regular uniforms. Of course, classic uniforms and a classic game would be the best combo.

Leave a comment:

• Incandenza
    replied
    Originally posted by danielmak View Post
    These uniforms are horrible. Why not go with retro uniforms. And while I think the nicknames idea is stupid, the white uniforms with white lettering defeats the purpose.
    If I bought tickets to see Dodgers hosting the Yankees, I'd be really pissed off to find out that they were doing this players uniform weekend nonsense instead of seeing the teams wearing their classic uniforms.

Leave a comment:

• danielmak
    replied
    These uniforms are horrible. Why not go with retro uniforms. And while I think the nicknames idea is stupid, the white uniforms with white lettering defeats the purpose.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    "Players' Weekend", the one with the silly nicknames.

Our lot were supposed to have all white caps too (I really don't want to know if this was the Ricketts' idea), but have at least "settled" for batting helmets.

Leave a comment:

• Ginger Yellow
    replied
    So what's the deal with the uniforms this time?

Leave a comment:

• jefe
    replied
    Not us.

Leave a comment:

• Ginger Yellow
    replied
    Sometimes baseball is a little bit of a self parody. Stat in the game just now: "Most combined letters in last names of opposing starting RF".

Leave a comment:

• Ginger Yellow
    replied
    NL Central is anybody's guess at this rate.

Leave a comment:

• danielmak
    replied
    What are y'all thinking about the playoffs? Whose going to win the AL and NL Central and which teams are going to win the wild card spots?

I'm shocked that the Cardinals are still in the mix given the lack of talent on that team. And I'm also shocked that the Brewers have lost any sense of the cycles of winning and losing that applies to every team except the Red Sox and Yankees. They opted to hold on to prospects instead of chasing down starting pitching during the off-season and the trade deadline.

MLB Network showing split screen: Blue Jays-Dodgers and Yankees-As. A good moment for me except that Yankees are losing and Jansen just gave up a home run. I'm stating the obvious, but Jansen is either going to turn it on during the playoffs or he is going to be the goat.
    Last edited by danielmak; 22-08-2019, 04:50.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    That card is legendary among collectors

Leave a comment:

• Cal Alamein
    replied
    Hilarious baseball card story.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...card-ever-made

Leave a comment:

• Hot Pepsi
    replied
    Originally posted by Flynnie View Post

Uecker can call a ballgame as well as anybody, check him out on a Brewers game sometime (he ain't getting any younger). He just also happens to be really funny.
    Sure. The point is that he can liven up any game.

Same with Vin Scully. I'd watch/listen to any game he was doing just because he was doing it and he wasn't especially funny.

Our local guy, Steve Jones, who does all the sports around here, can make a mid-season Monday evening New York-Penn League game witnessed by 500 people sound like the World Series.

Leave a comment:

• Hot Pepsi
    replied
    Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
    Using a home run champion as your closer is the new market inefficiency
    Indeed. He would have set the NYPL record if the Cardinals hadn't promoted him mid-season.

Leave a comment:

• Flynnie
    replied
    Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post

Bob Uecker made a nice career on this premise.
    Uecker can call a ballgame as well as anybody, check him out on a Brewers game sometime (he ain't getting any younger). He just also happens to be really funny.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    Using a home run champion as your closer is the new market inefficiency

Leave a comment:

• Ginger Yellow
    replied
    It's a miracle.

Leave a comment:

• Hot Pepsi
    replied
    The greatest college basketball player of all time.

It says something that my Twitter timeline last night was mostly all people talking about Walton calling the game. I haven't seen that many people all focused on a single regular season baseball game. I'm sure there are people outraged and think that he made a mockery of the game and how dare ESPN not treat a mid-August game between the Angels and the White Sox with the reverence it deserves, but good god regular season baseball could use more entertainment like that from time to time.
    Bob Uecker made a nice career on this premise.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    Too early for us to blow it

Leave a comment:

• Ginger Yellow
    replied
    Can't believe Lester got out of that.

Leave a comment:

• Flynnie
    replied

It says something that my Twitter timeline last night was mostly all people talking about Walton calling the game. I haven't seen that many people all focused on a single regular season baseball game. I'm sure there are people outraged and think that he made a mockery of the game and how dare ESPN not treat a mid-August game between the Angels and the White Sox with the reverence it deserves, but good god regular season baseball could use more entertainment like that from time to time.
    Itís one of those things that baseball usually does when itís struggling for appeal, most of the most memorable promotions were during those periods in the gameís history, but who hates Bill Walton? And like you said, it livens up a pretty meaningless August game between two clubs going nowhere.

Leave a comment:

• Incandenza
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Flynnie
    replied
    And a Grateful Dead legend. I think much of my family has met him due to running into the 7 foot tall redhead at shows. Heís kinda hard to miss and you know itís him when you see him.

He was an outrageously good basketball player, has to be the best athlete who was/is a hippie by a country mile. He followed Kareem at UCLA and was even better than Kareem. His feet failed him - he holds the NBA record for games missed by a player - but he is almost universally considered a Top 5 player ever when healthy. He missed half a season once and still won the MVP, thatís how good he and the Blazers were the other half of that season. Red Auerbach coaxed 80 games out of him in 1986, the first year heíd been healthy in almost a decade, and he won the Sixth Man Award going away.

His game had no weaknesses. Shooting? Impeccable, especially within 10 feet of the basket. Passing? The best big man ever at it. He and Bird used to be good for at least one jaw-dropping pass each between the two every night according to Bob Ryan. Physicality? He almost didnít need to be physical, but if he had to he could kick your ass. Rebounds? Dominated the boards. Shot blocking? You couldnít get around him. Running the court? If the feet were working, as good as any big ever. Incredible vision and intelligence. If you were willing to acknowledge his intelligence and differences in opinions and lifestyle off the court, you could win big with him. Wooden went 86-4 with him, Ramsay won a title in Portland with him and not a lot else, the 86 Celtics went 67-15, 40-1 at the Garden, and cruised to the title with him coming off the bench.

Just a sui generis player on and off the court.
    Last edited by Flynnie; 17-08-2019, 17:57.

Leave a comment:

• Flynnie
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Hot Pepsi
    replied
    In case you havenít already looked it up, Bill Walton is a basketball legend.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X