• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Incandenza
    replied
    Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
    Poway's not that bad.
    [extreme Lee "Hacksaw" Hamilton voice] "Poway! El Cajon! Vista! I want to hear from you!"

Leave a comment:

• danielmak
    replied
    I understand why some teams that have made the playoffs are keeping with their expected starters today. Those teams want to keep the pitchers fresh, but I have no idea why teams that are out of it and playing teams that are out of it (which is almost every game today) are using regular starters. For example, I have no idea why the Mets started Syndogaard. They should be using someone from the 40-man roster today.

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Thistle
    replied
    Originally posted by Flynnie View Post
    Bochy going back to San Diego is a funny one. He's not a kid anymore and he seems tired, but there's a lot of young talent on that squad and he's the most successful manager in Padres history and IIRC the only person besides Tony Gwynn to be present for both their NL pennants (he was a backup catcher in 1984). Edit: I forgot about the coaching staff. Tim Flanney and Greg Booker were also on the '84 squad. Still, it's a small club.

It'd be like Bill Belichick finally retiring from the Patriots, but taking over the New York Giants. Maybe he doesn't do it in the end...but you know he's thinking about it.
    I posted this before the hack. In Bochy's final two season as Padres manager he took them to the divisional title. As a player or manager he has been involved in all five Padres post-season appearances. I know it's a bit of magical thinking at work.... but I'd love to see him back.

Leave a comment:

• San Bernardhinault
    replied
    Poway's not that bad.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    Which is a very powerful demonstration of the fact that his mind works very differently than mine

Leave a comment:

• Flynnie
    replied
    He still lives in Poway in the offseason.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    Bochy is also an army brat (born in France, no less), so likely would find that aspect of San Diego culture familiar.

He is also likely to be willing to work for less than Maddon.

Leave a comment:

• Flynnie
    replied
    Bochy going back to San Diego is a funny one. He's not a kid anymore and he seems tired, but there's a lot of young talent on that squad and he's the most successful manager in Padres history and IIRC the only person besides Tony Gwynn to be present for both their NL pennants (he was a backup catcher in 1984). Edit: I forgot about the coaching staff. Tim Flanney and Greg Booker were also on the '84 squad. Still, it's a small club.

It'd be like Bill Belichick finally retiring from the Patriots, but taking over the New York Giants. Maybe he doesn't do it in the end...but you know he's thinking about it.
    Last edited by Flynnie; 24-09-2019, 16:35.

Leave a comment:

• Ginger Yellow
    replied
    Hendricks was lights out and Madden was gung ho on getting Lester into the game, which basically forced Chapman in too early.
    True that. I was furious when he pulled Hendricks. Not least because the ball which led to the preceding walk was called wrong.

Leave a comment:

• danielmak
    replied
    I'd expect Madden to end up in San Diego. Seems like the kind of guy they will want as they hope to make the next step.

I have posted this before, but will repeat given the likely end of his time with the Cubs. I think he's a very good motivator and knows how to put each day in perspective, but I honestly think the Cubs won the WS in spite of his moves. Hendricks was lights out and Madden was gung ho on getting Lester into the game, which basically forced Chapman in too early.

I don't think the Cubs' window has closed but the sense that this was a dynasty in the making has not played out. Of course, the season records these past two years will be forgotten in history when people only keep track of titles, but they've done well. Just not well enough. I also think Theo and Jed have made some bad purchases and trades since the WS. They get clobbered for Torres but they needed a closer and the WS victory was worth parting with him. There's no guarantee Torres will win a WS with the Yankees but the Cubs have a title.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    There are noises that Bochy might be coming back, but I'm not sure that anyone really has an idea.

The combination of the young talent on the roster (and in the minors), the lifestyle and the relative lack of media pressure makes it an attractive job. They won't lack candidates.

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Thistle
    replied
    San Bernardhinault I liked him and he was young. I was disappointed back when Bruce Bochy left. I never really understood that. If it was just money then that was sad. He nurtured some decent talent and they were a (sort of) winning side for a while.

Leave a comment:

• San Bernardhinault
    replied
    Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
    The Padres have dismissed their manager, Andy Green, and have finally won a game.
    It's a bit of a shame. I always liked him.

The team have still been consistently crap through his tenure even with decent investment in the last couple of years, and particularly fell away this year after an OK start - and this was the first OK start for the team in a decade, so losing that feels worse than most teams would. I can understand why he's being replaced. But he's not the kind of manager that you're happy has failed.

Leave a comment:

• Flynnie
    replied
    I remember my father saying in 2011, "Ahhh... I have my Red Sox back."

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    I was going to post something quite similar.

There is a familiarity about such a comprehensive collapse even it had been 97 years since we were last swept by them in a four game series at Wrigley.

It also means that guys can let their injuries heal and that the Madden separation will not be as traumatic as it may have been.

Leave a comment:

• Ginger Yellow
    replied
    There's something strangely reassuring about a Cubs season ending this way. The old certainties are comforting in these difficult times.

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Thistle
    replied
    The Padres have dismissed their manager, Andy Green, and have finally won a game.

Leave a comment:

• danielmak
    replied
    On the day the Yankees clinch the AL East Domingo German is put on leave while MLB investigates domestic violence. I think MLB has made good moves on this front (although I'm sure they could do better) and German's suspension/leave, if it extends into the playoffs, mean the Astros should be set for the WS. The Yankees reportedly were prepping to use the Astros' tandem starter model but without German that approach will be less effective and that incredible bullpen will likely start to get tired given how much they will be needed. (Also adding in Betances returning with two up, two down and the out for 60 days with a knee injury).

Meanwhile Jansen gets used multiple days in a row by Roberts during tie games for some unknown reason and show more cracks. He's just not that dominant anymore.

Leave a comment:

• danielmak
    replied
    The quantity of teams with wins that are extremely impressive should be at an all-time high this year (the best I understand the reporting) and on the flipside the quantity of teams that are horrible should be near an all-time high. Given that I wonder if there has ever been a series that is as bad on paper as the Orioles-Tigers. I have to believe the interest in this one is about on par with high school baseball. Even the curiosity surrounding which team ends up with the top draft pick wouldn't lead me to watch these games.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    Most runs by a NL team in a three game series since 1901

Leave a comment:

• San Bernardhinault
    replied
    The Cubs have scored 47 in the last 3 games? That usually takes the Padres about 15 games...

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    Yes, but this series has been a particularly concentrated sample

Leave a comment:

• Hot Pepsi
    replied
    This whole season has been nonsense.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    More nonsense baseball at Wrigley today.

Leave a comment:

• danielmak
    replied
    I have listed to some Tampa Yankees games through this site. I don't know if it will work in the UK next season, but a VPN can help if you get geoblocked:
    https://tunein.com/radio/Minor-League-Baseball-c492045/

Good to see Ryu get back to form, although he had no help from the offense. He needs to be Cy-caliber for the Dodgers to do what they should do in the playoffs.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X