No announcement yet.

Friday Cryptic Crossword Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eat pizza by the slice? California region variation is not for you! (7)

Comment

Is "eat pizza by the slice" a thing?

Comment

Absolutely in NYC (and many Italian cities).

Comment

Notably Rome. Hence the clue

Comment

Here too, though the pizza quality tends to be rather dodgy (I'm sure you can get decent stuff if you look around in the city).

Comment

"eat pizza by the slice" is a thing everywhere, yes.

Comment

I'm sure it's a thing, but is it an actual expression that is used (I'd never heard of it)?
                Last edited by Capybara; 16-02-2022, 18:03.

Comment

Pizza by the slice seems to be the standard translation of the Roman "pizza al taglio".

The eat bit was my addition

Comment

May be a US/UK thing, then.

Extremely common here, to the extent there are neon signs, etc.

lauren_nizarios.jpg

Comment

It's a pretty New York thing. Outside of New York, most US places who sell pizza by the slice seem to market it as "New York Style". That's not to say it's uncommon - it's very common - but it is considered to be New Yorkish. Generally other types of pizza are served whole.

Comment

I'm not sure that I can imagine eating a Chicago style pizza slice in the same way.

Comment

Originally posted by seand View Post
                          Eat pizza by the slice? California region variation is not for you! (7)
                          Anyway.....

- - L - - - (7)

Comment

Free hot calzone TV production suggests new-found devotion to volte face? (4,2,3,7)

Comment

Zeal of the convert: terrorists beheading a frogman? Crazy! (6-7,4)

Comment

_ _ _ D _ _ - _ _ _ N _ _ _ / _ _ _ _

Comment

_ _ _ D _ _ - _ _ _ N _ _ _ / _ _ N _

Comment

By deduction, FBI name a suspect from revolutionary Baader-Meinhof Gang (5)
                                    Last edited by irony towers; 18-02-2022, 20:07. Reason: Changed preposition

Comment

_ _ _ D _

Comment

A follower of the stars, the prophet leads the horde, changing direction to the North (5,6)

Comment

Originally posted by S. aureus View Post
                                          A follower of the stars, the prophet leads the horde, changing direction to the North (5,6)
                                          _ _ S _ _ / _ _ L _ _ _

Comment

_ _ S _ _ /H_ L _ _ N

Comment

M _ S _ _ /H_ L _ _ N

Comment

M _ S _ _ /H_ L D _ N

OK, I'm sure the answer won't be familiar to anyone, but wikipedia-able. Maybe the wordplay is too cryptic for that obscure an answer? Or maybe just a crap clue.

Comment

Moses Holden to eschew ultimate cocaine (4)

MOSES/HO<L>(r)DE/N

Aye, a bit too hard without all those extra clues

Comment

Neat CIA snow set-up leads to well known laws (5,6)

Comment

Working...
                                                    X