Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rolling Stones for starters? (6)

Comment

One of the great literary onsets. Or is it? (2,3,3,4,2,5,2,3,3,5,2,5)

Comment

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times - the writer's cliche, darkness falls. (7,7)

Comment

Charles Dickens novel about rotten hake wearing a shirt (5,5)

Comment

Quickly, go in Bleak House! (5)

Comment

_ _ N _ _

Comment

Bingo caller wasn't PC in '88 (3,3,6)

Comment

Was one of two fat ladies a hardworking classicist? Unlikely! (8,7,6)

Comment

How does the bingo wordplay work from "go in Bleak"?

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Profumo View Post
                      How does the bingo wordplay work from "go in Bleak"?
                      It was an anagram of "go in B", with the "quickly" showing that you should cut things short. Of course, all pointers welcome if I'm showing my clue setting naivety!

Comment

I don't think "quickly" can do the job of both shortening and indicating an anagram

Comment

If 'Quickly' was amended to 'Quick mixer', would that parse?

Comment

Could you have used Bleak as the anagrind? Say something like Bravo! Go in Bleak House!

Comment

Originally posted by Reality Checkpoint View Post
                              Was one of two fat ladies a hardworking classicist? Unlikely! (8,7,6)
                              _ _ _ R _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ _ _ _ / _ R _ _ _ _

Comment

Clarissa Dickson Wright to return? I discern the ultimate wall (8)

Bravo to Reality Checkpoint for the anagram ​​​​​​​

Comment

Time runs to play around home side near Antonine Wall (13)

Comment

Stenhousemuir FC - what sorrier mess could one name? (3,8)

Comment

The Warriors' WAG in distress (5)

Comment

Clarissa Dickson Wright to return? I discern the ultimate wall (8)

Time runs to play around home side near Antonine Wall (13)
                                        Strictly, shouldn't we avoid repetition of wall in such cases?

Comment

Maybe so, although I wasn't aware of an embargo on repetition of words that don't constitute the solution. Part-way through I think I mistook the answer to be both words.

In my defence (par-um TISH), the range of clueable contexts for Antonine is pretty slender.

Comment

Originally posted by irony towers View Post
                                            the range of clueable contexts for Antonine is pretty slender
                                            1 Antonine weightless and broken? That's daft (5)

2 O Gulf Angel, ape deadly Antonine Pandemic (6,2,5)

3 In Antonine tyranny, a decimated century? (6)

As Jimmy Cricket might say, there's more

Comment

Wigan produce smellable junctions bizarrely (5,4,4,5)

Comment

Unle Joe's Mint Balls dropping BLM confection (6)

Comment

Confused, Stalin felt the pressure after changing direction (6)

Comment

Possibly a strain for Catherine the Great (7)

Comment

Working...
                                                    X