Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Following Foxy's lead:

Holkham Forest (Human League)
    I have been forgetting a ridiculous number of games recently, leading me to contemplate whether my time in X11 is up. We'll probably give it a bit longer. Forest suffered the most from these memory lapses, having to negotiate four games without their manager's input. A final position of 6th in Division 1 was therefore a reasonable effort, even if, after opening with three wins to add to the five straight victories recorded at the end of the previous season, thoughts were initially turning towards promotion. Forest have some decent young players who already have plenty of experience - 21-year-old keeper Hannah Vogel has been first choice for two seasons now, for example - and will hope to challenge for a return to the top tier in the new season.

Matelots Malouins (MLX)
    After blitzing our way to promotion in Season 37 with a 13-1-0 record, the stage was set for a triumphant top-flight return. It didn't really happen. Eight consecutive defeats in the middle of the season made relegation inevitable, but an unbeaten run at the end of the campaign, that included a draw against eventual overall runners-up Valyrian Vipers, at least lifted us off the bottom. I've just noticed the squad includes 0 players in the 22-26 age group. That's not good.

South Hams United (Heineken)
    Hams' survival in Division 1 last season was a bit of a surprise, given that the starting XI regularly featured three or more teenagers. After taking 16 points from the first 18, perhaps a final placing of 8th was a disappointment, but we were never likely to maintain that sort of momentum. The squad's a bit unbalanced and I expect a struggle again this season, but the youngsters should have plenty more opportunities for development.

Waveney Valley Swifts (OTF)
    It was a top-flight season for the Swifts, so of course it ended in relegation - our ninth consecutive failure in the elite. A slow start saw the Swifts take just two points from the first six games and left the team in big trouble. Seven wins from the remaining 12 matches was a decent recovery attempt, but not quite enough to avoid the drop. A meek 1-0 home defeat by Steaua Bridge in Round 14 was perhaps the decisive moment. So we trudge back to Division 1 once again, a journey wearily familiar to the more senior members of the squad (and the manager).

Comment

I know HQs are secret. But I’m pretty sure it won’t really make much difference if I share those of young Swine Hugo Hoebee as they are quite a collection. “Ice cool” being the obvious outlier. Actually he’s got a bit of an elvish look about him too:

Last edited by Sits; 19-10-2022, 10:45.

Comment

Oh wow, all three hidden 'faces'! That has to be some rare achievement indeed. And he's got a fabulous name too.

Comment

A fabulous name but no friends, I’m guessing.

Comment

Hahaha, quite. Still, he is an Elf, and thus immortal, so I suppose that makes up for it.

Comment

Let's hope he is immortal.

Comment

OTF Division 1
                Whoft Fluffopolis

So how will we do?
                Division 1 looks a tough one this year, with known OTF heavyweights Vita Mortis, Four Candles and Croesoswallt Dragons joining the "likes of " Whoft. Will be more than happy to avoid relegation, though the form guides for pre-season Division 1 don't look promising.

Best moment of last season? Two highlights. A vital 2-0 home win over runners-up Turd Division in the run-in proved vital, as was "only" losing 4-1 at home to Azure Dragons in the final game, meaning that we'd just done enough to pip them on goal difference and sneak the final promotion spot. Being top scorers was nice, but having one of the worst defensive records in the division less so, and doesn't bode well. Shatner Stiffkey (assists) and Grimpen Mite (points) adding some econs to the coffers was nice to.

Worst moment of last season? Nothing really stands out as we didn't go on any horrendous losing streaks. Aside from the aforementioned defeat by Azure Dragons, the only other defeat by more than a single goal was a 2-0 stuffing by Athletico Deva.

One to watch? After a clear-out of elder statesmen who simply weren't good enough for OTF, some of the youngsters bought in are doing quite nicely now. 22/10 goalie Keef Leigh-Kugars was brought for 129k econs and is now worth of 5m is probably the pick of the bunch, though as the eldest player in the 15-man squad is only 31 year-old defender Horace Odes, plenty of opportunities await others to develop.

Comment

Nice one Foxy! And following your lead:

OTF
                  Berkshire Swine

So how will we do?
                  Hmmm, well on paper we should do OK. But the same could have been said last season and things just fizzled out. Goalie, midfield and strikers rank well but the defence doesn’t, and all the Swine teams which won in the past did so on the back of a strong defence. Was that an ambiguous enough answer?

Best moment of last season? It’s hard to pinpoint one really, but I suppose it would have to be the moment when the Swine touched the summit, however brief it was. Mind you just about everyone did that I think.

Worst moment of last season? The 1-0 home defeat to Great Ouse Town in Round 14 was a potentially fatal blow, then Hampshire Deers delivered the coup de grace two matches later.

One to watch? Having drawn attention to his multiple faces and elvish countenance I will nominate Hugo Hoebee (see above). I would also invite suggestions as to how to pronounce his surname. I’m going for hee-bee like the hebe plant.

Comment

OTF

Dandy Town

So how will we do?
                    I look at the team and think they could challenge for the title. The players look at me and think who's he kidding.
                    To be honest it depends on injuries as the back up players are still young in all positions. Top half should be achievable.

Best moment of last season?
                    A very un-Highwaymanlike start of 10 points from the first four games had me as excited as Liz Truss skipping into work on the first day looking forward to years of growth with my brilliant tactics and forward thinking policies.

Worst moment of last season?
                    The anti-growth coalition of the rest of the division, my overinflated level of self-belief and reality conspired against us to send us on a nine game run without a win that lead to us tumbling faster than Liz Truss's poll ratings. It took a win on the final day to avoid relegation.

One to watch?
                    Youth team coach Neville Brothers gave us young 17/5 striker Ainsley Clough (that's a striker's name with pedigree), who promptly worked his DV up to +8 and double jumped, so high hopes for him. I'll probably flog him in a fit of pique in a couple of season's time.

Comment

It's not often I break new ground in Xpert Eleven these days but today I achieved my highest ever world ranking of 44, beating a previous mark set way back in 2015. There may be life in this old dog yet!

Comment

Congratulations GM!

Comment

So in the MLX, relegated Kakanui KuneKune have followed Sean down the 17/4 route. It's oddly liberating raising substantial amounts of cash and eviscerating one's squad.

Comment

It's a weird feeling. I know a lot of managers operate like this but it's not how I tend to roll. I just felt that this had become the only way to compete in this league as other managers who had gone down this route were rising to the top.
                            I've had a few players double jump now, but I don't know whether all of this current crop are going to make it, if any. It might be a case of developing them for a few of seasons then releasing them at their increased value and rebuild a second time with 16/4s and 17/5s to really compete.

Comment

I’m hoping to attempt what I managed to do when I took over one of sexist Roberto11x’s half finished projects in the Establishment which I recounted here at the time (Tamworth Reds who I managed a league/cup double with). A host of 23yos, some worth quite a lot, and a whopping bank balance. I used that as a platform for a re-jig with the hope it would then be sustainable rather than flash and burn.

I’ll report back on Kakanui in six or seven seasons.

Comment

I can only admit a grudging admiration for those who have the stomach for this. I recognise that longterm it tends to breed stronger teams, but I'm so wedded to trying to be as competitive as possible every season I don't think I could do the whole 'rip up squad, suck up relegation and several seasons of merciless beatings, hope to bounce back strong when other teams aren't doing so as well' thing.

Not least because in MLX I have a unique record with United Underground of qualifying for every single postseason playoffs since the league started, which is one thing I'd like to maintain. And although the challenge of pitting oneself against the boom 'n' bust überteams with a homegrown conveyor-belt side seems to get ever more difficult, it still feels like a worthwhile one.

Comment

Sits and Sean of the Shed are you going down the 17/4 route for the whole team or have you got a few older players in there? I'm not quite sure of your strategies.

Seems like boom and bust every ten seasons or so.

Comment

Originally posted by Granthamian View Post
                                    It's not often I break new ground in Xpert Eleven these days but today I achieved my highest ever world ranking of 44, beating a previous mark set way back in 2015. There may be life in this old dog yet!
                                    Congratulations. That's a real achievement.

Comment

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post
                                      Sits and Sean of the Shed are you going down the 17/4 route for the whole team or have you got a few older players in there? I'm not quite sure of your strategies.
                                      We play Kakanui today, and I was looking forward to a nice 6-0 after reading Sits' comments here. But sadly, they still have a solid 2-4-2 of decent skill and experience.

Comment

I’m keeping a defender, midfielder and striker of 30ish but just as mentors. I’m not attempting to watch the average age, I don’t care about results.

However at a certain point down the track I plan to flip it into something sustainable rather than just boom/bust forever. Time will tell but it has to begin with bust. It’s an experiment.

Originally posted by Hot Orange View Post

We play Kakanui today, and I was looking forward to a nice 6-0 after reading Sits' comments here. But sadly, they still have a solid 2-4-2 of decent skill and experience.
                                        Don’t worry, most of them are for sale so I won’t play them.
                                        Last edited by Sits; 26-10-2022, 10:18.

Comment

I have been working on this sort of thing with Clash City Rockers in the Brythonnic.

Starting in Feb 2020 (!) I sold everyone apart from one experienced D, M and F each, went for 17/4s and 18/5s at minimum, and accepted beatings as part of the process. The only respite was thwacking the occasional zombie team in the bottom flight. Sometimes that would happen enough to achieve a short run in the next division up, before inexperience and gravity weighed us down.

Two and a half years and eleven seasons later we recently made it back to the top flight... from where we were relegated a couple of weeks ago. Oops. That said, whilst the core of the squad are about 29/30, there are some great younger players coming through too, so I'm hoping to sustain at a decent level, higher than where I was three years ago.

Comment

All my players are currently 19 or 20 apart from two who I retained from the previous bunch. At the moment I have a couple of senior players as mentors as well. Once they reach 27 or 28 years old I may start introducing younger players for more long term stability.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post

All my players are currently 19 or 20 apart from two who I retained from the previous bunch. At the moment I have a couple of senior players as mentors as well. Once they reach 27 or 28 years old I may start introducing younger players for more long term stability.
                                              I tell you what Sean, we’ll be under some scrutiny in a few seasons’ time.

Comment

I'm fully expecting to mirror the "Crystal Palace team of the 80s".

Comment

Originally posted by Granthamian View Post
                                                  Astonishing. Congrats!

Comment

Originally posted by Auntie Beryl View Post
                                                    I have been working on this sort of thing with Clash City Rockers in the Brythonnic.

Starting in Feb 2020 (!) I sold everyone apart from one experienced D, M and F each, went for 17/4s and 18/5s at minimum, and accepted beatings as part of the process. The only respite was thwacking the occasional zombie team in the bottom flight. Sometimes that would happen enough to achieve a short run in the next division up, before inexperience and gravity weighed us down.

Two and a half years and eleven seasons later we recently made it back to the top flight... from where we were relegated a couple of weeks ago. Oops. That said, whilst the core of the squad are about 29/30, there are some great younger players coming through too, so I'm hoping to sustain at a decent level, higher than where I was three years ago.
                                                    We had a great collection of OTFers in the Brythonnic top flight this last season. With a week or two to go, 3rd–7th was Sits' Sulawesi Babirusas, AE's Zeugma Gençlik, Foxy's Wripple Vetivers, my Rædfearne Island and AB's Clash City Rockers, all in a row. Unfortunately not only did CCR go down, but Wripple somehow did too despite spending most of the campaign contending for a podium finish and only spending about the final half-hour of the season in a relegation place.

The flip of that was Rædfearne Island climbing right back from rock-bottom earlier in the season to 3rd on the final day despite not having been that high at any point previously. Having seen several players who helped us to the previous two seasons' league titles depart, I was convinced this weakened squad were certainties for the drop so am quite amazed to have escaped.

There'll still be 4 OTFers in the Premier Division this coming season, with Sean's Racing Club Roquefort coming back up to join us. I think they've been relegated immediately on each of their five (?) visits to the highest level previously, so are well overdue making it 'stick' this time around. There'll be a lot of competition again, though. One strong team returning as well is three-time former champs NK Zlatorog under Rmy100, better known perhaps as manager of Gotham City in MLX, as are 8-time former champions JohnCarewIsBiggerThanU. For my team at least it looks like another battle against the drop!

Comment

Working...
                                                    X