X11 season 45 - de rigueur Mortis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Division 2
    After a decade in Xpert Eleven, Smallcaps – a.k.a. Wouter D – is very sadly saying goodbye to the game by quitting on his 10th anniversary tomorrow. He will however be bowing out in style with Nieuwegein Kneebiterssecond consecutive divisional title – perhaps surprisingly only their fifth in total across his 43 seasons in charge at Parkhout, but rather neatly completing at the last a set of winners’ medals for each of the current four OTF divisions. Debuting in Division 1 in Season 22, they won it the very next season, then after peaking at 2nd in the top flight in S30 and dipping down again a couple of times they won the second tier again in S39. The elusive league title was finally landed in S55, then after a complete rebuild from youth and a drop to the bottom division the D3 title followed last season and now the D2 one will be added to the collection as they enter the final day of S64 six points clear.
    Wouter's bid to go out with 10 straight wins was foiled at the eighth hurdle last Thursday with a surprisingly one-sided 2-1 defeat at Hampshire Deers, but the Kneebiters returned to their previous form with a 14th win from 17 on Monday, 2-1 at Heffron Hendecagon. Winstanley Wijntuin struck twice in the first half, ruining his own bid to finish the season with exactly 4 goals for a fifth(!) time in succession – he has also now overtaken strike partner Enzo Vermant to move out in front as their top scorer this term with 6, and moves up to =11th (with Milton Wheelan and Nat Osborn) on their all-time standings on 26... though he’ll have to go some in their concluding fixture to get into the top 10 as he’s still five goals short of Neo Myhill’s 31. Heffron’s Hugo Rune pulled one back in the 91st minute, but it was too late to spoil Nieuwegein’s day or to preserve the 5th-placed Hendos’ fine 4-match winning run.

The Biters will have a somewhat depleted side for their final outing under Wouter, as defender Bram Smeets’ booking just before Wijntuin’s second goal at Heffron Park ensured he will be suspended and midfielder Rick Frederick suffered a very nasty injury just minutes later to mean his campaign also ends prematurely. Their teammates though will take the pitch for a valedictory home game against Athletico Deva – an appropriate opposition for the occasion as the two clubs’ history against each other goes all the way back to January 2013 when they first clashed in S26, also at Parkhout, with Smallcaps’ men winning 6-1 that day. His club are 17-8-5 up in the head-to-head, having won 2-0 on opening day this term in their first meeting in 16 seasons. What price a repeat performance today to end with a flourish?

It is Hampshire Deers who are now in pole position for 2nd place, following up that win over the Biters a week ago with a 2-0 stroll at pointless teenagers Indigo Plateau on Monday. That propelled them a point ahead of Wednesday de la Zouch, who rescued an 89th-minute 1-1 draw in the near-namesakes derby at Wensleydale Blues three days ago but now face a direct shootout for 3rd place with Azure Dragons when they collide at the Benabau in their closing fixture. The Dragons are two points behind after a 3-1 win at Great Northern Railway, and indeed could yet finish second if they beat Weds and the Deers also lose at home to the Blues.
    Wensleydale certainly have it all to play for, as they sit 7th but just a point ahead of GNR and two ahead of Deva. The 9th-placed Deviants’ own survival hopes took a likely fatal blow in their 2-0 loss at home to Littlewoods Legends, four days after they failed to hang onto a lead in their six-pointer at GNR that ended 1-1, and must now spoil the Kneebiters’ party to stand a chance of hauling themselves out of the dropzone at the last. The Railwaymen have a better chance as they finish at home to the 6th-placed Legends, who have nothing to play for after securing their own safety with Monday’s win.
    Last edited by Various Artist; 12-09-2021, 00:17.

Comment

Division 1
      D1 champions-elect Zeugmaspor were of course aiming for 17 straight wins to finish with, having only dropped two points at home to Turd Division on opening day. That extraordinary run was ended after 14 consecutive victories last Thursday though in a shock 1-0 reverse at struggling Saltney Drawers. Either the Anatolians (thanks Janik) are freewheeling downhill towards the finale or else fair-minded to a fault, but they showed exemplary even-handedness towards the relegation struggle by also rolling over 1-0 at home to bottom side Kernow Kensa on Monday. Bernt Räv snatched the Cornish side’s goal in the 23rd minute, a stunning first win in six and only their fourth all term – and, bar two over Saltney near midseason, their first over anyone else since at Banik Roystonov on opening day.
      Needless to say, that put the cat right among the pigeons in the relegation melee. Kernow vault from 10th all the way out of the bottom three to 7th, while the Drawers’ 2-0 loss at Banik (6th) dropping them back to the foot of the table and ending the Royston men’s lingering fears of getting dragged back into the mire. Kensa are a single point ahead of Somers Town Sugar Imps in 8th, with whom they stalemated 0-0 in last Thursday’s six-pointer between two recent league champions, after the Imps continuing their own agonisingly slow attempt to claw their way to safety after a third straight battling draw on Monday, 1-1 at Turd Division (5th).
      That may have cost the Turds a promotion shot, as they sit three points adrift of 3rd and finish at home to Zeugma. Whoft Fluffopolis also blew a great chance to advance their cause as they threw away a lead to go down 2-1 at home to Locomotiv Noj, the hinging point in an end-to-end game coming when Whoft midfielder Rufus Brevity was carried off on 71 mins with the score level. Locomotiv’s Mavras Alvertis stabbed home a winner six minutes later to seal Noj's promotion in 2nd. The Fluffers meanwhile drop back to 4th, a point behind Steaua Bridge who likewise came from behind to wrench a victory back out from die Ambosse’s grasp at the Bridge, Reagan MacKinven making it 2-1 in the 87th minute. That saw the Anvils, who also endured a heartbreaking last-minute 3-2 defeat at Whoft last Thursday, fall two places to 9th.

Here’s how it goes down today, then:
      • Kernow (16pts, -16 GD) stay up with a win at home to Banik.
      • If they draw, then either or both of Somers Town (15pts, -8) and Saltney (15pts, -14) overtake them with a draw – the Imps are at home to Whoft, while the Drawers are away at Steaua.
      • Those games are doubly significant, as Steaua (27pts, +4) and Whoft (26pts, 0 GD) are either side of the promotion line. If Steaua draw or lose, Whoft overtake them with a win. If both lose, Turds (24pts, +4) will leapfrog both with a win over Zeugma.
      • Die Ambosse are worst-placed in 10th (13pts, -14), and travel to Noj. Their opposition however have nothing to play for, so a win coupled with defeats for Kernow, Sugar Imps and Saltney will see them make a great escape.

Comment

OTF
        Results last Thursday reduced the four-way title scramble to two teams, as despite two-time defending champions Four Candles’ 1-0 home win over Great Ouse Town that knocked Town out of the race, Candles' hopes were extinguished too by both Vita Mortis and Berkshire Swine picking up wins elsewhere – Mortis claiming a fourth straight 2-0, at Csiki Monkeys, and the Swine grabbing an important 2-1 at home over Dandy Town that could have implications both ends of the table.

Monday saw things stay ‘as you were’, as Mortis saw off bottom club Rejects Redux 3-0 in a one-sided clash at the Hollows to make it five victories in a row without conceding, while the Swine stayed hot on their heels with a 3-1 success in the Oraanje derby at Waveney Valley Swifts that ushered the relegated Swifts back towards Division 1 – their demotion was already confirmed by a 2-1 home loss to Croesoswallt Dragons last Thursday that ensured HotOrange’s yo-yoing side will start next season in a different division for the eighth time on the bounce.
        Candles continued their end-of-season upswing with a 2-0 win over the Dragons at Hurlingham Park to clinch 3rd place, with GOT now five points adrift of them despite the Fenlanders picking up their first point in four matches on Monday at home to Csiki Monkeys. It took until the 85th minute for Ouse to take the lead, but they were still denied only a second win in seven by a 90th-minute leveller.

That may prove crucial for the Monkeys in the relegation battle, which reaches the final day with no fewer than four teams all in the race to escape finishing 8th. Current incumbents Dandy Town emerged with a vital victory in their proverbial six-pointer at home to Eriskay Expression (7th) on Monday, Abraão Cabanas rifling home a 20th-minute free kick that took all the points, slashed the gap between the two clubs to just 1pt, and gave the Dandies their fourth win in the last six – after only one in their first eleven.
        Have they peaked too late, however?
        • The Highwaymen (20pts, -4 GD) host Mortis to finish with, with the Reaper Men obviously in need of a result themselves if they are to secure a third league title twenty seasons after their first and twelve since their second.
        • Eriskay (21pts, -5) on the other hand have an easier task on paper since they are at home to the already-down Swifts. If they lose and the Dandies draw or win, the Islanders go down too though – likewise if they draw and the Dandies win.
        • Attention may thus turn elsewhere: the Monkeys (22pts, -1) are just a point further ahead of Expression in 6th, though they have a final fixture at a Four Candles side with nothing but pride to play for. If they lose and both Eriskay and the Dandies win, they drop through the trapdoor. If they draw, Eriskay still overtake them with any win but the Dandies then need to win by three goals, or four to avoid it coming down to goals-scored.
        • That leaves the Dragons in 5th (23pts, -1) but still just about in danger. A win or draw at the Swine secures their survival no matter what, but if they lose then wins elsewhere for the Monkeys and Expression will cost them places, and one for the Dandies will cost them a critical third place and relegate them if – as above – Town’s is by three or more goals.
        • For added intrigue, goals F/A currently read 15-16 for both the Dragons and Monkeys, and 14-18 for the Dandies, hence the goals-scored issue potentially coming into play.
        • At the top, Mortis (36pts, +14) will seal the league title with a win at the Dandies. Lose, and they need the Swine (34pts, + 11) to fail to win at home to Croesoswallt. If Mortis draw, then the Swine need to beat the Dragons by three goals to take the title on goals scored – the F/A presently reads 24-10, 24-13 respectively – unless it finishes something like 4-4 or 6-6 at the Stade Andy Liver, in which case the Sty Council would miss out on GS and get pipped on away points, so would need to win by four!
        The Swine have won their last three, five of their last six, and six of their last eight. Mortis, runners-up in Seasons 55-57 and 60-62, blew the title from this same position when losing at home to Kernow Kensa in S60, but have won five in a row and ten of their last twelve.
        Four teams have topped the table this season. Four Candles finished five matchdays on top, Great Ouse Town were at the summit for three, Berkshire Swine were in pole position for five, and Vita Mortis have been out in front for four – the last four. Together they have spent nine different spells at the top. Who will be left standing with the trophy today when the dust settles...?
        Last edited by Various Artist; 09-09-2021, 15:15.

Comment

Sorry for the delay in getting that done! Had to squeeze it in a bit at a time around other things this afternoon.

Comment

Well that was tense.

Comment

Oooooh. I have no doubt VA is still watching both matches simultaneously on super-slow playback so may not find out the results for some time....

Spoiler alert....

Congrats Sits
              ​​​​​​​

Comment

Multiple spoilers for the final day of OTF below:

Incredible scenes in Berkshire. Congratulations Sits, but big commiserations to VA.

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
                HotOrange’s yo-yoing side will start next season in a different division for the eighth time on the bounce.

Equalling Turd Division's streak, which has now ended as they finish fourth. The team that pipped TD to promotion, Steaua Bridge, join the Waveney Valley Swifts (fka Towns) on eight consecutive division changes. WVS will play TD next season (65), for the first time since season 58.

WVS haven't played SB since season 54, a separation that will now continue... possibly the longest streak for two sides that (will) have been ahead of each other since they last played against one another..

I'm currently doing a lot of data capture of old OTF tables to chuck into a SQL database for random stat nerdery, only gone back as far as season 54 so far, but will share some more discovered trends when I get round to it.

Comment

die Ambosse were relegated from D1 (again) having thrown away 9 points from a winning position in the last three matches of the season.

I have never survived a season in D1, at what I guess must be 7 or 8 attempts now - Lambers' upcoming statfest will probably confirm the grim reality.

Comment

We've had an external application to take over the Kneebiters. I'll give until tomorrow for an OTFer (or existing OTF league manager) to take over as that would be preferable, but if not I'll accept it as we don't want to lose the club if they don't have a manager when the change report goes through in two days.

Comment

Originally posted by andrew7610 View Post
                      die Ambosse were relegated from D1 (again) having thrown away 9 points from a winning position in the last three matches of the season.

I have never survived a season in D1, at what I guess must be 7 or 8 attempts now - Lambers' upcoming statfest will probably confirm the grim reality.
                      That's a shame Andrew. As Hampshire Deers were created at the same time as die Ambosse I'm always looking out for the time when "our" cohort will properly break through into the top two tiers, but there has never been an occasion where more than one has been in the second tier at the same time.

You are exaggerating by the way, we've actually only just completed our eighth season in total. This is the third time that the Anvils have "bounced" into D1. Next season will be the Deers' third in D1, belatedly matching your achievement.

Of our original cohort of nine, three are now defunct, while next season one will be in D1, three in D2 and two in D3.

Comment

I'm having a pretty depressing run in X11 at the moment.

The Swifts' relegation was our seventh consecutive top-flight failure. The last time we managed to escape the drop was in Season 48, when we finished 7th. I thought this season might be different. We won 3 of the first 6 and then drew away at Four Candles, the reigning champions, and at that point were 2nd. But we collected just two more points from the last 11 games.

It was a similar story for Holkham Forest. With 3 wins from the first 5, we were 3rd and eyeing up a title challenge. But only 1 win from the final 13 resulted in relegation.

It is a similar story for South Hams United. A promising start to our first season in the top tier wasn't maintained and 2 wins from the last 10 sees us one from bottom. I know how this story ends.

Matelots Malouins are at least bucking the trend by starting the season disastrously. 1 point from the first 3 games sees us in the drop zone early doors.

It's one of those periods where I have no clue how to improve things. In two separate matches this week in which I expected to be competitive, I was out-chanced 10-0.

It's perhaps not unrelated to this that I've been a bit slack with the OTF round-ups, although I have also had a busy time at work. I'm confident I'll manage a final-day report, though.

Comment

Hot Orange there really is no obligation - not that they aren’t great and much appreciated. But the rest of us who don’t do them at all have no right to feel entitled.

Various Artist and Janik - same applies.

But thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by lambers View Post

That's a shame Andrew. As Hampshire Deers were created at the same time as die Ambosse I'm always looking out for the time when "our" cohort will properly break through into the top two tiers, but there has never been an occasion where more than one has been in the second tier at the same time.

You are exaggerating by the way, we've actually only just completed our eighth season in total. This is the third time that the Anvils have "bounced" into D1. Next season will be the Deers' third in D1, belatedly matching your achievement.

Of our original cohort of nine, three are now defunct, while next season one will be in D1, three in D2 and two in D3.
                            I've included the previous incarnation of my team, who joined in season 35 as Didcot Anvils before relocating to an unspecified location in Germany in season 38. I took a 3-season hiatus during seasons 54-56.

Having looked back through the seasons myself, it turns out I was wrong and we have indeed stayed in Div 1 on one occasion, actually managing a fourth placed finish in season 52 before reverting to type and propping the table up the following campaign. It turns out we have played 7seasons at that level, and have been relegated at the end of 6 of those...
                            Last edited by andrew7610; 10-09-2021, 16:13.

Comment

Ah, I haven't gone that far back so was unaware. I look forward to coming across the Anvils again!

Comment

lambers i owe you an apology on two fronts:

1. I failed to congratulate you here on Hazers’ barnstormers first title win in the Human League. Emphatic and doubly impressive for being achieved so soon after taking over the team.

2. For not mentioning you when talking about “write-up writers” above. You’ve done a lot more on the Human League than I have lately.

Comment

Separately I have had a new team application in the Human League, from an ostensibly new manager who recently took over a team in the Xpert Ladies called Chilli Babes. I asked if they would be applying to have this changed when able to, as “babes” doesn’t really sit with the HL ideology.

I imagine their response will tell us whether it’s the league for them.

Comment

No need to apologies Sits, you gave us a wonderful write-up in the Human League press box, which is very much appreciated.

I also cannot claim to be full fledged "write-up writer" like HO, VA and Janik. I'm more of a provider of occasional supplementary materials, a sous-chef compared to those three Michelin starred restauranteurs.

Comment

Exciting! I have my first transfer investigation note.

The transfer of ***Youth Product*** between ***Team I'm Unfamiliar With*** and ***One Of My Teams*** have been reported and awaits investigation. Decision on the matter will be taken as soon as possible. This means that a member of support will check out the transfer deal. The check will be performed within 24 hours after the transfer deadline or the seller accepting the bid. If the transfer is approved you will find the deal has gone through as the player has left, or joined your team. If it is rejected you will get a new mail telling you so.
                                      Near the end of the season, I got an 18/5 forward from the academy. Cone, allround, ice, header, moody as SQs.

I'd have kept & developed if there was any chance of getting the DV positive before the end of the change report, but no, so he went on the market and got to 3.7m econ. Nice!

No foul play from me on this one, like I say I'm not aware of the purchasing side or their manager. Hopefully the manual check will show no wrongdoing.

Comment

Weird.

Comment

Somebody has now pressed that button to approve the transfer. Like you say Sits, weird.

Comment

I presume his estimated value was a lot less than the final sale price. In the official leagues the transfer will automatically go to review of this is the case.

Comment

Yes, it was 321k. The JobbyStats site had the average sale price as 3.7 million, so there's the discrepancy.

Comment

If anyone has quota I need a stand-in please to trigger the new Human League season.

(Of course you would be welcome to stay!)

Auntie Beryl what is this JobbyStats site of which you speak?

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                                                  If anyone has quota I need a stand-in please to trigger the new Human League season.I've sent word out Sits! There's a few standbys I know, one of whom should be able to jump into the vacancy in the breach.

Comment

Always good to read stats nerdery here, meanwhile. I've been meaning to revisit (and probably expand) something I published here about OTF league title winners a few seasons ago at some point, and now seems as good a time as any after the Swine ended their own long wait and prolonged Mortis's – so I should really try to do that this close-season.

I should add my public congratulations here to you Sits, and of course to lambers for pulling off a remarkably rapid rise to the Human League summit with tremendous panache. I'm just sorry Bad Erdely slipped up in their penultimate fixture to cost us the sight of a final-day showdown between the pair for the title – a scenario surely never would have ever imagined when they met on opening day straight after their mutual promotion!

Picking up on HO's comments, Holkham's neighbours at Sandringham will be accompanying them downwards to ensure some further derbies next term. I'm fairly sure that Sandringham Park must by now account for about half of all the relegations I've ever suffered in Xpert Eleven – this is our fifth from the Human League top flight. I'm just quite amazed to realise that we'd actually been there for seven straight seasons in this latest run, one more than our previous four cracks put together. It didn't feel like that long!

On the flip side, every single time we've ever played in Division 1 we've got promoted from it: Seasons 10, 12, 16, 18 and 20. I see that weirdly we've never played in it in an odd-numbered season, a quirk that the forthcoming S28 will continue.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X