Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OTF Wordle Ryder Cup 3: Brittle Britain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got a four! <steals crown from San B>

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
      Playing through my beer goggles, a poor 5.

Comment

Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post
        I got a four! <steals crown from San B>
        Couldn’t you have saved that for a day when I’m really shit?

Comment

Day 13 report:

The latest episode of the storied rivalry: Blues versus Reds. Recently the Blues have held the bragging rights, and are eyeing a glorious treble, yet the Reds have grounds for optimism having added some champion pedigree to the squad. The two teams of eleven took to the immaculately-tended greensward; how crucial would it prove that influential players on either side were ruled out of contention? As the midway point of the contest approaches, the Reds appear to be getting the breaks - but don't be fooled into thinking that's enough to settle the destiny of the Cup...

That's about the extent of the similarities between Wembley and Wordle, as the hopes of an open-top bus parade continue to recede for the Blues of GB. Sam must wish that Victor Lindelof had exhibited a touch as sure as the stroke that put RoW 4 up in Match I. The alternating sequence for GB players in the foursomes has been dreadfully rough on those contesting the even-numbered holes in this round; lambers will be hoping at least for the chance to find out whether Hole 6 is any kinder.

Despite being one of just two players to have competed in every hole of the tournament, ad hoc stands alone in having a bogey-free scorecard, and now has a run of 32 tournament holes in par or better. nmrfox holds the record streak with 41, and can feel confident of retaining it now that I've mentioned the stat.

Match score GB 2 RoW 4

Matches on the course GB up in 1 RoW up in 4 All square in 1

Round 2 scoreboard:
          1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Match
          Match G - Fourball H W H W A/S
          David Agnew 3 4 3 6
          pebblethefish 4 6 4 6
          San Bernardhinault 3 F 3 5
          caja-dglh - F 4 4
          Match H - Fourball W H H W RoW 2 UP
          Foot of Astaire's 5 6 3 5
          Artificial Hipster 5 5 5 5
          irony towers 4 5 3 3
          Sporting 5 6 4 4
          Match I - Foursomes W W W W RoW 4 UP
          Rogin the Armchair fan 4 4 P P P
          lambers 6 F P P
          Sam 3 4 P P P
          Balderdasha 4 3 P P
          Match J - Foursomes H W H H GB 1 UP
          Hot Orange 3 3 P P P
          Sean of the Shed 5 5 P P
          WOM 3 5 P P P
          Logan Mountstuart 6 3 P P
          Match K - Foursomes W W W H RoW 1 UP
          ale 3 4 ​​​​​​​P P ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​P
          Auntie Beryl ​​​​​​​6 ​​​​​​​ 5 ​​​​​​​P ​​​​​​​ P
          Discordant Resonance 4 5 P P P
          Sits 5 3 P P
          Match L - Singles W W W H RoW 1 UP
          Simon G 3 6 4 4
          ad hoc 4 4 3 4
          Day 13 stroke average: 4.81

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​Next up in foursomes:
          Rogin the Armchair fan v Sam
          Hot Orange v WOM
          ale v Discordant Resonance

Comment

Foot of Astaire's Artificial Hipster irony towers a 3 this morning at the 5th.

Comment

Rather out of keeping with my form so far, I popped in a 2 this morning David Agnew San Bernardhinault caja-dglh

Comment

lambers, Sam, Balderdasha, I hope I've taken our match to at least the sixth tee - I've hit an eagle 2.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
                  lambers, Sam, Balderdasha, I hope I've taken our match to at least the sixth tee - I've hit an eagle 2.
                  Jolly well done there! I made two guesses then came here to see whether you'd played yet in order to see whether it was worth taking a flyer or playing a guess to eliminate candidates for the one letter I didn't have yet. And afer seeing your message and thinking 'fuck it, let's go on the attack anyway' (there were only three possibilities, so my streak wasn't in danger), I got it in 3.

Comment

Another 4 this morning Simon G.

Luckily I played the hole before I'd read about my streak from irony towers or I may have panicked with my par putt

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                      Foot of Astaire's Artificial Hipster Also a 3, with a pang of regret on realising how close I came to a 2.

Comment

Originally posted by irony towers View Post

Foot of Astaire's Artificial Hipster Also a 3, with a pang of regret on realising how close I came to a 2.
                        Finally breaking my run of 5s a 3 here too.

Comment

A par 4 this time round Discordant Resonance & Sits Auntie Beryl

Comment

Well done! It's a good job I'm not playing the two as I only managed a par 4 today and just scraped a 6 yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by irony towers View Post

I've got the yips. Close to a 2, finished with a 6.

Comment

Originally posted by pebblethefish View Post
                                Rather out of keeping with my form so far, I popped in a 2 this morning David Agnew San Bernardhinault caja-dglh
                                Somehow I managed to also weigh in with an eagle 2.

Comment

Smith buries the penalty...

Comment

Originally posted by pebblethefish View Post
                                    3 for me.

Comment

Hot Orange, that's a 4 for me.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                                        Hot Orange, that's a 4 for me.
                                        A (s)crappy 5 here.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                          Another 4 this morning Simon G.

Luckily I played the hole before I'd read about my streak from irony towers or I may have panicked with my par putt
                                          A birdie 3 for me - maybe playing later in the day is a benefit....

Comment

It will take something special forcaja-dglh to nab the credit again off San Bernardhinault, who shot a 2 to ensure that RoW at least halve the hole in Match G.

(EDIT: The reminder to DR proved superfluous the instant I posted)
                                            Last edited by irony towers; 04-06-2023, 16:38.

Comment

Originally posted by ale View Post
                                              A par 4 this time round Discordant Resonance & Sits Auntie Beryl
                                              Which I've matched, just now.

Comment

Get in, WOM​​​​​​. Back against the Shed wall for me tomorrow then....

Comment

Day 14 report:

Having suffered the ignominy of two consecutive days without a hole win (unprecedented in the Ryder Cup), Team GB had modest cause for satisfaction in pulling level in the singles match and a couple of much-needed eagles from pebblethefish and Rogin the Armchair fan to staunch the RoW flow. The day-to-day scores in Match G are oscillating wildly, as if the teams are navigating the high seas aboard the Black Pig and Flying Dustman. With three matches sitting all-square, it's not as if it will take miracles for GB to effect a parting of the Red Sea.

Match score GB 2 RoW 4

Matches on the course RoW up in 3 All square in 3

Round 2 scoreboard:
                                                  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Match
                                                  Match G - Fourball H W H W H A/S
                                                  David Agnew 3 4 3 6 3
                                                  pebblethefish 4 6 4 6 2
                                                  San Bernardhinault 3 F 3 5 2
                                                  caja-dglh - F 4 4 -
                                                  Match H - Fourball W H H W H RoW 2 UP
                                                  Foot of Astaire's 5 6 3 5 6
                                                  Artificial Hipster 5 5 5 5 3
                                                  irony towers 4 5 3 3 3
                                                  Sporting 5 6 4 4 3
                                                  Match I - Foursomes W W W W W RoW 3 UP
                                                  Rogin the Armchair fan 4 4 2 P P
                                                  lambers 6 F P P
                                                  Sam 3 4 3 P P
                                                  Balderdasha 4 3 P P
                                                  Match J - Foursomes H W H H W A/S
                                                  Hot Orange 3 3 5 P P
                                                  Sean of the Shed 5 5 P P
                                                  WOM 3 5 4 P P
                                                  Logan Mountstuart 6 3 P P
                                                  Match K - Foursomes W W W H H RoW 1 UP
                                                  ale 3 4 4 P ​​​​​​​P
                                                  Auntie Beryl ​​​​​​​6 ​​​​​​​ 5 ​​​​​​​P ​​​​​​​ P
                                                  Discordant Resonance 4 5 4 P P
                                                  Sits 5 3 P P
                                                  Match L - Singles W W W H W A/S
                                                  Simon G 3 6 4 4 3
                                                  ad hoc 4 4 3 4 4
                                                  ​​​​​​​Day 14 stroke average: 3.40

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​Next up in foursomes:
                                                  lambers v Balderdasha
                                                  Sean of the Shed v Logan Mountstuart
                                                  Auntie Beryl v Sits
                                                  Last edited by irony towers; 05-06-2023, 21:54.

Comment

Auntie Beryl you have 4 to beat today.

ale Discordant Resonance

Comment

Working...
                                                    X