No announcement yet.

"Where am I?" Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I find this interesting from a couple of streets away.

Here is a building with lots of graffiti with a Streetview photo taken two years ago.

Screenshot_20220930-234339~2.png

Comment

But if you move one step closer to the same building, you get a Streetview photo from six years ago showing it to be almost graffiti free.

Screenshot_20220930-234525~2.png

Comment

Right. I actually need to go to sleep soon and I've given you lots of different photos, so happy hunting and I'll see if you've found it by morning time.

Comment

Originally posted by jdsx View Post
          I think I know where we are but I can't find any of the exact spot(s), so maybe I'm wrong! I expect Fussbudget to pop up with the correct answer any minute....
          Where do you think we are?

Comment

Heh, finally. You weren't going out with a Mormon were you, by any chance? It was that icon which finally gave it away!

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@16.74...7i13312!8i6656

Comment

Well done. And what's the red and yellow building?

I was not dating a Mormon. I was dating a soon-to-be Oxford physicist at the time and travelling round Mexico with him.

Comment

It was that icon which finally gave it away!
                Which icon?

Comment

The icon above the VW van of someone playing a trumpet!

Comment

The icon above the VW van of someone playing a trumpet!
                    Darn. I had wondered if I should blur that. What does the icon actually mean? And how did you find it from that?

Comment

Oh, I see, it's a Mormon church. That wasn't what I was aiming for though. The red and yellow building is the interesting place I've visited.

Comment

Hmm, Casa Na Bolom https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casa_Na_Bolom

Never heard of it, I must admit, but looks interesting.

Yes I had to look up google maps icons to discover what it was. There aren't that many mormon temples to choose from!

Comment

It's here, Casa Na Bolom, House of the Jaguar: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casa_Na_Bolom

Comment

Anyway I have to go to bed now, so happy to hand it over to someone in a different time zone!

Comment

Yeah, it's not very famous, but it was the home of Frans Blom, the archaeologist / anthropologist who first excavated Palenque. It's a very cool place. I really enjoyed visiting it and in another life where I didn't have kids I'd happily go and spend a year there cataloguing their library for them.

Comment

LDS temples usually feature a golden statue of the Angel Moroni

Here's the one by us

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angel_Moroni

Comment

I think I know where we are but I can't find any of the exact spot(s), so maybe I'm wrong! I expect Fussbudget to pop up with the correct answer any minute....
                                  I'm touched by your faith but even if I hadn't been busy making food I'm confident I would still have been nowhere near on that one!

Comment

Staggered to find out that there are more than 16 million Mormons worldwide, and 6.5 million in the US alone. I wouldn't have been confident it was over 100k

Comment

And those are just the ones who are alive.

If you add all the people they "converted" after their death, the numbers get really impressive.

Comment

Ha, yeah I'll bet.

Strictly speaking I'm not in a different time zone to jdsx but I've got one ready so here goes:

Comment

...and the other side while we're at it:

I've got a bit of a type don't I. I promise I'll try not to have a bunch of post-war blocks on the next one

Comment

I thought this had an Italian vibe and dropped onto Perugia at random. It looks quite promising. I could of course be on completely the wrong track: https://www.instantstreetview.com/@4...D9tfwDaqQWRjxA
                                            Last edited by Sits; 01-10-2022, 02:48.

Comment

Bolzano also looks promising in places too, but I can’t really get away from generic hilly European blocks.

Comment

Hang on. There’s an escalator. Outdoor escalators must narrow the field a bit.

I’m getting a lot about Calpe coming up when I search for outdoor escalators in Europe, and parts of Calpe look promising.
                                                Last edited by Sits; 01-10-2022, 04:42.

Comment

***intermission***

Has Various Artist watched Free Solo yet? I can find a way to share it if he cannot find it. Hell, I watched it again to certainly be my most deliberately viewed motion picture of all time (US TV means I have seen Beetlejuice a LOT and I am not mad)

anyway - again, I am super happy how this thread has taken off and how much we have learned from each other about crossings, signs, road markings, where has trams… I get a lot of joy out of this silly game and I am glad you all do to.

Comment

Yes indeed dglh, thanks. I very rarely get close to a correct answer, and often get a few pages behind. But it’s always an education as well as challenging and fun. Would that more of life could be so.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X