• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Svalbard still free?

Comment

I think the White Walkers got him.

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
        Oh, thanks for clearing that up ursus. I've always wondered why it has the definite article – and moreover why it seems to still have it, whereas nobody ever talks about "The Cameroons" anymore like they were still doing around Italia '90.

"The Lebanon" is the other one that sometimes seems to have it, sometimes not.
        I always assumed that in this specific case, the country is basically equivalent to the river Gambia plus whatever bits of land are directly adjacent to it. Hence, The Gambia.

This reasoning does not generalize to other countries, so I may very well be wrong.

Comment

Bonjour New Caledonia (had to Google this, French islands in South Pacific apparently).

Comment

Greetings Djibouti.

Comment

Originally posted by Wouter D View Post

I always assumed that in this specific case, the country is basically equivalent to the river Gambia plus whatever bits of land are directly adjacent to it. Hence, The Gambia.
              How The Gambia got its shape....

According to an apocryphal story, British ships defined the country by shooting cannonballs off the sides of their ships.

Comment

I'm thinking there should have been a handicap system in place so that those of us who chose more highly populated nations get some help.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                  I'm thinking there should have been a handicap system in place so that those of us who chose more highly populated nations get some help.
                  I trust here you meant the OTF virus game, not the colonisation of West Africa.

Comment

Good afternoon, Zambia!

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post

I trust here you meant the OTF virus game, not the colonisation of West Africa.
                      Ha!

Comment

Its The Netherlands....( and not Holland ! )

Comment

Originally posted by Diable Rouge View Post
                          Good afternoon, Zambia!
                          Well spotted.

Comment

Originally posted by fatbear View Post
                            I copy and pasted the first list, will amend this.

Edit: it was already there as Netherlands. I thought you were highlighting an error, rather than just making general comment.

Comment

Canada's Northern territories, Yukon, NWT and Nunavut, are still free AFAIK. Not countries or even provinces of course.

Comment

Originally posted by fatbear View Post
                                Well, both are infected, so it has no practical bearing on this thread.

Comment

Good evening Mauritius and Sint Maarten (Dutch part of a Caribbean island).

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                                    Canada's Northern territories, Yukon, NWT and Nunavut, are still free AFAIK. Not countries or even provinces of course.
                                    I've added this to the 'outliers' list.

Comment

Originally posted by Diable Rouge View Post
                                      Good afternoon, Zambia!
                                      Incidentally, didn't they decide to call it "The Gambia" to avoid it (i.e. "Gambia") sounding like "Zambia".....?

Comment

or Nambia

Comment

High five to Bermuda. Guess the triangle vortex thing didn't protect it.

Comment

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post
                                            Bonjour New Caledonia (had to Google this, French islands in South Pacific apparently).
                                            World cup winner Christian Karambeu being by far their most famous son or daughter.

Comment

It's a bright new day for El Salvador, Fiji and Nicaragua.

Comment

To use the old Spitting Image Ronald Reagan gag when Nicaragua was mentioned "I know Nick, good guy !"

Comment

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post
                                                  It's a bright new day for El Salvador, Fiji and Nicaragua.
                                                  And with Fiji falling, can the Pointless archipelagos be far behind?

Comment

Chad has gone.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X