X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1974ddr
    replied
    From Birmingham Live yesterday:

'Aston Villa are making good progress in their process of creating a new club badge after it was announced in June that the current badge would be changed next year.

The club's crest design team put forward three different badges in a Fans’ Consultation Meeting at Villa Park last night. It comes after the club announced that 13,000 fans shared their view on how the new badge should look with the designs now whittled down to three.

The designs put to Villa’s fan group last night were as follows:
    1. A round badge similar to the historic 1982 crest but not the same
    2. A Gas Lamp-inspired crest in the shape of a shield
    3. A lion - facing the opposite way to the one now - on its own with Villa’s established year, 1874, sitting underneath.'
    No images, alas. Option 1 sounds OK to me, option 2 sounds frankly bizarre, and I have no idea what a 'gas-lamp inspired crest' might look like, except it sounds awful. The story goes that the club was formed 'under a gas lamp' by some churchgoing cricketers looking for something to do in the winter. Not really a basis for a club crest in my opinion. Option 3 also sounds OK, though reversing the lion is an eccentric decision apparently based on Villa wearing a 'wrong way round' lion briefly in the 1880s. I suppose Arsenal did something similar with their cannon, so perhaps it'd be acceptable. And perhaps it would just look a bit odd; after all, the lion rampant normally looks to the left as you face it, or am I just imagining that? Certainly it does on the Scottish version, and it's because of Villa's Scottish links (many of the significant early figures at the club were Scots) that the lion was adopted as the club badge. My money's on option 1 if there's a meaningful public vote, option 2- 'daring to be different'- if the design team make the decision.

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Thistle
    replied
    That's very Looney Tunes rebrand (see previous page)

Leave a comment:

• Simon G
    replied
    Bradford announce their new crest:

Leave a comment:

• sw2borshch
    replied
    Bad news for dutty boys everywhere.

Leave a comment:

• Jobi1
    replied
    Seems in some way ironic that they've changed it to bring more of the words... in.

Leave a comment:

• Fussbudget
    replied
    That looks like something I'd doodle on my exercise book, or to be charitable "an early draft of the concept"

KICK iT DUT indeed

Leave a comment:

• Mumpo
    replied
    Football-related: Kick It Out

kick_it_out_logo_before_after.png

(before and after)

Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Toby Gymshorts
    replied

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    Are they moving to Charleston?

Leave a comment:

• Mumpo
    replied
    Guess the club...

everton_fc_supporting_symbol_new.png

Don't worry - the crest isn't changing

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Thistle
    replied
    Spot on

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    https://twitter.com/treborrhurbarb/status/1548921747549954054?s=21&t=7wFKa0ijUvCetHwtt0Nwww

Leave a comment:

• Felicity, I guess so
    replied
    Originally posted by blameless View Post
    I wonder how much they were fleeced for that non-update?

Still no idea why they moved on from this in the first place:

It's all marketing and copyright, isn't it?

My fave was always the 1969

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    And a real departure from their confused and busy history

Leave a comment:

• 3 Colours Red
    replied
    It's very 80s in terms of stripped back Italian club crest design, the hipsters are going to fucking love it.

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    https://twitter.com/veneziafc_en/status/1542842758028824576?s=21&t=782FewT_NAOkU3kD1JgrKw

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Thistle
    replied
    Originally posted by Mumpo View Post
    I actually think that's an improvement. The letters are clearer and the colour is bolder.

Leave a comment:

• blameless
    replied
    I wonder how much they were fleeced for that non-update?

Still no idea why they moved on from this in the first place:

Leave a comment:

• Mumpo
    replied
    Go Dundee United!

dundee_united_fc_logo_before_after.png

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Thistle
    replied
    OK it's not a new badge as far as I know but fans of assymatrical non-standard club badges might appreciate this one from Penygraig United

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    There is somewhat of a tradition of such rules (to the extent they exist) being suspended for the last home game of the season.

Leave a comment:

• Jobi1
    replied
    Originally posted by Sits View Post

F.C instead of F.C.?
    Yep, that's the one. Since also seen it pointed out that on the '100 years' label at the bottom of the shirt, it's got the club name written twice, once with F.C and once with F.C., which is pretty poor.

Someone's also spotted that the badge launch video features a goal scored against York by Aldershot.

And it was all going so well...

Leave a comment:

• 3 Colours Red
    replied
    Presumably so. Should be either no full stops at all or one after each letter, depending on the style guide.

Leave a comment:

• Sits
    replied
    Originally posted by Jobi1 View Post
    Expecting one of the change kits (there'll be at least two I reckon) will be chocolate and cream. The original version was stripes, so intrigued to see whether they go for that or a different interpretation. Our media guy reckons it's going 'break the internet' though, which as we all know is the main purpose of football kits these days.

In further badge reaction news, I appear to have unleashed something of a Twitter shitstorm by point out a piece of... let's be polite and say 'unconventional' punctuation on the badge.
    F.C instead of F.C.?

Leave a comment:

• Jobi1
    replied
    Expecting one of the change kits (there'll be at least two I reckon) will be chocolate and cream. The original version was stripes, so intrigued to see whether they go for that or a different interpretation. Our media guy reckons it's going 'break the internet' though, which as we all know is the main purpose of football kits these days.

In further badge reaction news, I appear to have unleashed something of a Twitter shitstorm by point out a piece of... let's be polite and say 'unconventional' punctuation on the badge.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X