X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 Colours Red
    replied
    Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post

Have they though? The lion looks like a drunk uncle on a wedding reception dancefloor
    It looks like they've copied Chelsea's homework.

Leave a comment:

• MarkF
    replied

Would love to see a Gas themed one though
    JF.jpg
    Comes in roundel format already...

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Thistle
    replied
    Originally posted by Gregario View Post
    Have they though? The lion looks like a drunk uncle on a wedding reception dancefloor
    Last edited by Patrick Thistle; 11-11-2022, 15:59.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Thistle
    replied
    Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
    Yep. And I'm sure I've seen it on black as well

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Thistle
    replied
    Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post

Remind you of this?

That's That's speedway isn't it?

I think I was thinking Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
    The Pirates is their proper nickname (and represented in their current badge) while The Gas just isn't.
    Am aware due to regular trips to the Mem. Would love to see a Gas themed one though. Maybe that blue flame from the ads in the 80s.

Leave a comment:

• Hot Orange
    replied
    The Bristol Rovers skull looks much more like something found on an archaeological dig than the Poole Pirates one.

Leave a comment:

• Harbinger of Hope
    replied
    It is very noticeable that "FC" has been removed from that Villa badge. Wasn't it Man Utd that started this, "we're a brand not a football club" nonsense, when they removed it from the bottom part of their badge?

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    I'm getting weird vibes off that. It really reminds me of something but I'm not sure what.

Guess they're going for Pirates rather than Gas at the moment.
    Remind you of this?

The Pirates is their proper nickname (and represented in their current badge) while The Gas just isn't.

Leave a comment:

• Levin
    replied
    https://twitter.com/AVFCOfficial/status/1590747313554718722?t=Dcn9v8_hhpHgXbLGCT74bg&s=19

Villa have gone for the better option

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Thistle
    replied
    I'm getting weird vibes off that. It really reminds me of something but I'm not sure what.

Guess they're going for Pirates rather than Gas at the moment.

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    This is apparently the front runner to be Roverzzz new badge :

Leave a comment:

• Various Artist
    replied
    Originally posted by Fussbudget View Post
    The shape of the badge says 'genuine leather'
    Oh god. This is brilliant, I can't unsee it either now.

Leave a comment:

• 3 Colours Red
    replied
    Originally posted by Fussbudget View Post
    The shape of the badge says 'genuine leather'
    I can't unsee that now. And I get your point on the other things too - they were probably hoping that the combination of all those things would be enough.

Leave a comment:

• Fussbudget
    replied
    The colours say Motherwell to me and the rooster says France. The shape of the badge says 'genuine leather'

Leave a comment:

• 3 Colours Red
    replied
    I'd assume the amber and claret and the presence of the bantam are doing the heavy lifting regarding that.

Leave a comment:

• Fussbudget
    replied
    The kerning looks fine to me. The font isn't great but the more puzzling decision is not to include the name of the club in the badge.

​​​Does anybody other than Bradford City fans know who BCAFC are without looking it up? I'd have guessed they were yet another BCFC

Leave a comment:

• Nocturnal Submission
    replied
    Originally posted by 1974ddr View Post
    That's not a particularly accurate chart: the 'original' lion featured from about 1878 to 1882; the crest shown here and dated 'c.1886' is that of the City of Birmingham. There is a photo of the 1887 FA Cup winning side in which approximately half the team appear to have this crest sewn on to their shirts; I'm not sure why, maybe this was a sign that they had been selected to represent the Birmingham district in some sort of representative match, or perhaps it was a sort of scudetto, indicating that they'd won the Birmingham Senior Cup? I dare say someone on OTF might know. Nevertheless, no badge featured on the Villa shirt from 1882 till around 1956, when the one shown was adopted. The 1956 badge was replaced in 1969 when Tommy Docherty became manager by an embroidered blue lion rampant with the letters 'A.V.' below, and this was in turn replaced by the roundel badge in 1973, which remained largely unaltered until 1992, barring the two years 1985-87 when we wore the horrible Henson kit which just featured the letters 'AVFC', presumably because Henson were such a cheap second-rate outfit that they were unable to manage anything more advanced. The stripy badge appeared in 1992, and in various guises, often positioned on another claret badge or shield, lasted till 1999 when it was amended slightly to the one labelled 'c. 2000s' here, losing the scroll beneath the badge. The 'lion pointing at a star' badge arrived in 2007 shortly after Randy Lerner, who has always sounded to me like a character in Confessions Of A Driving Instructor, took over the club. 'Proud History, Bright Future' was the mission statement of the time, and the star was meant to symbolise Villa's Double win in 1897, or possibly European Cup win in 1982. Something that had happened donkey's years ago, anyway. This badge has been largely unchanged since, with the exception that following relegation to the Championship in 2016 the word 'Prepared' was removed, perhaps because relegation was not something for which we had been prepared. We kept the star though, to remind us of happier times: big moustaches, centre partings and proper football boots, not these slippers they play with nowadays.

I'm sure that it's been said before, but the addition of the star to the badge just makes me think of a cat trying to pounce on a spot of light being reflected onto a wall.
    Last edited by Nocturnal Submission; 05-10-2022, 14:27.

Leave a comment:

• Jobi1
    replied
    The star I assume represents their one FA Cup win? Or is it just a random clip-art star they added because they felt like it?

Leave a comment:

• Discordant Resonance
    replied
    Certainly requires better kerning.

Leave a comment:

• Uros Predic
    replied
    Originally posted by Simon G View Post
    Bradford announce their new crest:

I read this on first viewing as BGAFC and now i can't unsee that.

Leave a comment:

• Fussbudget
    replied
    Originally posted by Simon G View Post
    Bradford announce their new crest:

Very MLS

Leave a comment:

• 1974ddr
    replied
    That's not a particularly accurate chart: the 'original' lion featured from about 1878 to 1882; the crest shown here and dated 'c.1886' is that of the City of Birmingham. There is a photo of the 1887 FA Cup winning side in which approximately half the team appear to have this crest sewn on to their shirts; I'm not sure why, maybe this was a sign that they had been selected to represent the Birmingham district in some sort of representative match, or perhaps it was a sort of scudetto, indicating that they'd won the Birmingham Senior Cup? I dare say someone on OTF might know. Nevertheless, no badge featured on the Villa shirt from 1882 till around 1956, when the one shown was adopted. The 1956 badge was replaced in 1969 when Tommy Docherty became manager by an embroidered blue lion rampant with the letters 'A.V.' below, and this was in turn replaced by the roundel badge in 1973, which remained largely unaltered until 1992, barring the two years 1985-87 when we wore the horrible Henson kit which just featured the letters 'AVFC', presumably because Henson were such a cheap second-rate outfit that they were unable to manage anything more advanced. The stripy badge appeared in 1992, and in various guises, often positioned on another claret badge or shield, lasted till 1999 when it was amended slightly to the one labelled 'c. 2000s' here, losing the scroll beneath the badge. The 'lion pointing at a star' badge arrived in 2007 shortly after Randy Lerner, who has always sounded to me like a character in Confessions Of A Driving Instructor, took over the club. 'Proud History, Bright Future' was the mission statement of the time, and the star was meant to symbolise Villa's Double win in 1897, or possibly European Cup win in 1982. Something that had happened donkey's years ago, anyway. This badge has been largely unchanged since, with the exception that following relegation to the Championship in 2016 the word 'Prepared' was removed, perhaps because relegation was not something for which we had been prepared. We kept the star though, to remind us of happier times: big moustaches, centre partings and proper football boots, not these slippers they play with nowadays.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    Villa haven't exactly been adventurous to date

One could do the shield in the shape of a gas lamp, but that would obviously conflict with the preference for a roundel

Leave a comment:

Working...
X