Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discordant Resonance
    replied
    Bray Wanderers ditch their controversial 2023 crest, but the 2024 version could still be improved:

Leave a comment:

• JoeysToe
    replied
    I've just been given the opportunity to give my opinion on Cambridge United's proposed new crest as I'm on the club's email list, presumably from buying tickets last Boxing Day.

I think it's shite.

The reasons given for changing are similar to Oxford's when we last moved the Ox about on our crest - fast growing city, world famous, marketing opportunities, blah, blah, blah... I'm so grateful we've got Desmond Morris' wonderful design at the centre of our badge, whatever nonsense is added around it.

Last edited by JoeysToe; 19-09-2023, 22:11.

Leave a comment:

• elguapo4
    replied
    Bring me to Chris, the Roscommon sheep.

Leave a comment:

• Discordant Resonance
    replied
    GAA, rather than football, but Roscommon need to make a rapid alteration to their county crest, as the current version features the "wrong" breed of sheep:

Incorrect:

Correct:

And the full story.

Leave a comment:

• Nesta
    replied
    Well, as they're just starting out I wouldn't want to 'knock' them, ohoho

Leave a comment:

• Discordant Resonance
    replied
    Newly-formed Mayo FC with a rather generic effort:

Leave a comment:

• 3 Colours Red
    replied
    Although to be positive, they have moved away from the roundel unlike seemingly every other club who's had a new crest in the last decade.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    Merci, madame

Leave a comment:

• Fussbudget
    replied
    PS the new St Etienne badge isn't great. Looks like a generic badge for a fake football club you'd find on a free vector site

Leave a comment:

• Fussbudget
    replied
    Every French schoolchild is taught that the Loire rises at the Mont Gerbier de Jonc in Auvergne (literally the only time you'll hear about that mountain in any context)

Not to bore you but in the French language there's a difference between a rivière (bog standard river that joins another river) and a fleuve (big river that goes all the way to the sea, there's only 6) and when two rivers join the naming convention is that the single river formed takes the name of the wider of the two rivers, and the narrower one is the tributary, and this continues all the way to the sea. Well the Allier (which also rises in Auvergne and joins the Loire near Nevers) is wider than the Loire at the confluence of the two so the whole fleuve should have been called the Allier instead. Justice for the Allier! Sorry that was exceedingly boring wasn't it.

I used to live in the Loire valley, absolutely hated the place. Been dragged to all the castles a million times as a kid, Cheverny is the only good one because of all the Tintin stuff

Leave a comment:

• MrLeam
    replied
    Decades ago, the only bearable part of French lessons were the frequent occasions when our teacher would want a nap so would turn off the lights and bung into the video recorder the latest French instructional VHS. Every episode would have a section on French culture, which would invariably include a bloke declaring in heavily accented English that "In the Lwaaaaah Vallaaaaaay therrrre arrre many chateaux..."

Leave a comment:

• Sits
    replied
    Well I didn’t know that about the Loire and as ua suggests when I think Loire I think Loire Valley/Chateaux and west coast.

I’d assumed the Rhone was the longest. I was wrong.

Leave a comment:

• Nocturnal Submission
    replied
    Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
    It is the prefecture of the département of Loire, and the inclusion of that in the club's name reflects financial support they receive from that level of government,

I find a tendency amongst Anglophones to think of the river as the but with the chateaux, when there is really lot more than that, what with it being the longest river in the country.

Oh, with me it's more just a relatively limited knowledge of the geography of France, but I tend to think of the Loire as being in the west of the country instead of it being L-shaped and rising in the central-south.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    It is the prefecture of the département of Loire, and the inclusion of that in the club's name reflects financial support they receive from that level of government,

I find a tendency amongst Anglophones to think of the river as the bit with the chateaux, when there is really lot more than that, what with it being the longest river in the country.
    Last edited by ursus arctos; 23-06-2023, 23:08.

Leave a comment:

• Nocturnal Submission
    replied
    Yes, that's nice. It's also alerted me to the fact that the city is close to the Loire, which I hadn't realised.

Leave a comment:

• seand
    replied
    I think this might be a rare win in the new logos category. Saint-Etienne

https://news.sportslogos.net/2022/01...y-fans/soccer/

Leave a comment:

• Discordant Resonance
    replied
    Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post

Can't figure out the source from the mangled code that shows up with quoting.

DO NOT ATTACH FILES, FOLKS.

USE THE BUTTON.
    Or indeed, sometimes [IMG]Picture[/IMG] can be easiest, if the picture button can't detect the size of the image.

Leave a comment:

• 3 Colours Red
    replied
    Well, JSON's something to do with JavaScript, innit?

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    Originally posted by HeavyDracula View Post

it’s good but it’s not quite right. “You’re going the wrong way, mate!”
    Can't figure out the source from the mangled code that shows up with quoting.

DO NOT ATTACH FILES, FOLKS.

USE THE BUTTON.

Leave a comment:

• 3 Colours Red
    replied
    If you quote them, sometimes you'll see a JSON error instead of the usual image tags.

Leave a comment:

• Nocturnal Submission
    replied
    Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post

Another missing image.

Is this a problem my end Snake Plissken ? If you can help?

I'm not seeing images on a number of threads, FWIW. Sometimes there's a small icon, sometimes just an empty space.

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    Originally posted by HeavyDracula View Post

Another missing image.

Is this a problem my end Snake Plissken ? If you can help?

Leave a comment:

• HeavyDracula
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Jobi1
    replied
    Is it just a coincidence that she bears something of a resemblance to newly elected Angels chairperson Sophie Purves? I suppose that would be one way of really stamping your authority over the club.

As noted elsewhere, Sophie is the sister of erstwhile York chair Jason McGill, but the job role is where the similarities end. Sophie is absolutely brilliant and I wish she were still at our club.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    I think she is wearing a skirt, or maybe a skirted bodysuit.

Very Munchian in my book.

https://travelswithmyart.wordpress.c...ages-of-women/

Leave a comment:

Working...
X