Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When Yer Da owns a football club (thinly-veiled Glenn Tamplin Unappreciation thread)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Funnily enough, no...

Comment

Yeah, we were the beneficiaries of ‘Ricky’s demise today with 2-1 defeat of them at their place securing our place in the League for this season. The thing is, I know that there will be supporters of theirs that probably saw through Tamplin’s reign for what it was and I feel sorry for them but, equally, they probably know that they are artificially above their position

Comment

I was chatting to someone who seemed knowledgeable on Essex football at a game the other week who reckoned that while Billericay are returning to their pre-Tamplin level they are at least doing so with much-improved facilities.

Obviously their fortunes and finances over the next few seasons will tell us if there's been any lasting issues from the goon's time there.

Comment

Will they keep the wall art though.

Comment

I think they have so far and he's been gone over two years.

It would have been the first thing I'd have got rid of, like that Michael Jackson statue Fulham dumped as soon as Fayed fucked off.

Comment

I was watching Billericay yesterday and yes the mural is still there but they painted over the scene of Tamplin in bed with his wife a long time ago. All references to Tamplin have been removed and anything with "AGP Arena" (Tamplins steel company) has also been painted over. As a ground-hopper I have watched Billericay on and off for the last 25 years and when he first showed up most people saw through him. The one thing we're not short of in Essex is wide-eyed boys and with the exception of the teenagers most people guessed which way this was heading. To be fair to Tamplin he has left the club solvent and with a nice little ground entirely suitable for a club of this size. I just hope they've painted over the lions in the changing rooms.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                I was chatting to someone who seemed knowledgeable on Essex football at a game the other week who reckoned that while Billericay are returning to their pre-Tamplin level they are at least doing so with much-improved facilities.

Obviously their fortunes and finances over the next few seasons will tell us if there's been any lasting issues from the goon's time there.
                Ironically, the pre-Tamplin version of Billericay's ground was also the result of a millionaire owner going tits up. Newbury Town in the early 90s had money thrown at them by Martin Deaner, a local oil tycoon, if such a thing exists in West Berksire. This was used to build a lavish pre-fab ground, and also to re-assemble the 1988 Reading team with such stalwarts as Martin Hicks, Steve Richardson, Stuart Beavon, and just for the cuntish factor, Steve Kean. The cause of the philanthropy soon became clear as Deaner's son suddenly appeared in the team.

However, even in the Diadora League division 2, Deaner Junior was way out of his depth and it became embarrassing. His dad then pulled the money out of Newbury, instead building a lavish Sunday league stadium in the grounds of his Pangbourne mansion, which was also Reading's training ground. Unfortunately, he hadn't actually got planning permission for it so its existence was short lived and a very rare groundhop tick.

Anyway, with Deaners money gone, Newbury Town were financially fucked and went bust. The pre fab nature of the upgraded stadium meant it could be loaded on lorries and auctioned to the highest bidder. In this instance, it was Billericay who installed it at their ground, around the existing stand that looks like a giant Pacman.

Footballs version of the circle of life.
                Last edited by Big Boobs and FIRE!; 26-04-2022, 17:54.

Comment

Actually, in a bout of Nostalgia, I've unearthed a Newbury Town programme from 1994 v Maldon Vale, and not only is Steve Kean playing, but also Brendan Rodgers.

I will include this in my somewhat brief list of Isthmian Division 2 games I've been to in which one team had two future Premier League managers, neither of which had played professional football.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Boobs and FIRE! View Post
                    Newbury Town in the early 90s had money thrown at them by Martin Deaner, a local oil tycoon, if such a thing exists in West Berksire ... However, even in the Diadora League division 2, Deaner Junior was way out of his depth and it became embarrassing.
                    And if memory serves me well, Deaner Snr later took over at Slough, and his son played there for a couple of seasons, occasionally managing to hit a cow's arse with the proverbial banjo.

Comment

Yes, and in further parallels, didn't he appoint himself manager?

Comment

Originally posted by Big Boobs and FIRE! View Post

In this instance, it was Billericay who installed it at their ground, around the existing stand that looks like a giant Pacman.

Footballs version of the circle of life.
                        That small wooden pacman like stand was demolished about six years ago when Tamplin rebuilt the ground. I'll give the guy some credit for leaving the club solvent, without debt and for a reasonable rebuilt ground just the right size.

Comment

It was the biggest stand at the ground, and made of metal, so no idea what you are thinking of.

Comment

https://twitter.com/crawleytown/status/1608881581497761792?s=20&t=i3PyX-Ba8SqmQmkadXUxhw

Club co-chairman Preston Johnson will also be in the dugout to show his support to Darren, the staff and the players.

Comment

Fucking hell, it's John Reames all over again.

Comment

I went with Terry Smith

Comment

Ron Noades for me.

Comment

Us Cov fans will say Ken Deliu all over again!

Comment

Michael Knighton!

Comment

A new addition to the thread, as Kerry FC sign their CEO's son, Alex Ainscough. Last season, he was a regular starter for one Flower City Union in NISA, whatever the standard there may be.

Comment

Third tier in the US pyramid, the Flower City in this case being Rochester, New York.

It will be a step up for him.

Comment

Glen Tamplin is now wanted by the police:

Hertfordshire Police is appealing for information to find Glenn Tamplin, 51, who is wanted for failing to attend St Albans Magistrates Court for…

Comment

I imagine Tamplin’s lion-themed wall art in the Billericay dressing rooms is long gone, but is the infamous ‘muriel’ still outside the ground? So good it should be listed, really.

Comment

Yes the mural is still there but they've painted out the bit of him in bed with his wife and replaced it with something else. As far as I know Billericay were debt free after he left.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul S View Post
                                                  ?..they've painted out the bit of him in bed with his wife and replaced it with something else….
                                                  Philistines! That was the best bit.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X