Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When Yer Da owns a football club (thinly-veiled Glenn Tamplin Unappreciation thread)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And he's a Tory.

Comment

I didn't realise that my post would open up a can of worms on here about Sol Campbell.

He deserves to be paid what he's owed regardless of other factors.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
        And he's a Tory.
        Precisely. I can't trust a word the man says.

Comment

Stopped clocks are right twice a day, etc.

If Macclesfield go to the wall over unpaid wages owed to Sol Campbell, that is not Sol Campbell's fault. Whoever was running the club shouldn't have agreed a contract they couldn't afford to fund.

As for noting Campbell has been involved with two clubs in financial trouble, that does tell us something. But not as a black mark on Campbell's character. Both were in financial messes long before he arrived; for some reason (I think I know which one) the only clubs who have offered Campbell a job, and Paul Ince before him are ones a long way down Football's food chain. Meanwhile ex-International peers with a different skin colour get to start much higher up the pyramid (Lampard: Derby and Gerrard: Rangers as notable examples) where finances are rather more stable.
          Last edited by Janik; 06-12-2019, 08:10.

Comment

I admit that my disdain for Campbell may have clouded my side of the argument and yes, he is entitled to ask for what he feels he is owed but you'd think he'd have learned from previous mistakes regarding lucrative contracts at lower league clubs. I know he was desperate to get into management but once bitten, twice shy.

Comment

Great post Janik.

Comment

Annoyingly, the money Tamplin has thrown at Romford appears to be working and they are close to getting out of the Isthmian North relegation spot.

He has also started to style himself on twitter as a Tyson Furyesque mental health & addiction guru so that's obviously now an established move in the PR playbook for tiresome bullshitters attempting redemption.

Comment

What a sad loss to the game...for now :

https://twitter.com/nonleaguepaper/status/1367518595362811905?s=21

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                    Annoyingly, the money Tamplin has thrown at Romford appears to be working and they are close to getting out of the Isthmian North relegation spot.
                    "COVID 19 - Liverpool 18" but for real

Comment

I wonder if he's in rehab again or hiding from some very nasty people. Whichever way you look at it he has a very dark past.

Comment

Originally posted by Nesta View Post

"COVID 19 - Liverpool 18" but for real
                        I'm not aware of the reference?

Comment

The idea was COVID would stop Liverpool winning the title last season, keeping them on 18. It didn’t do that, but it has stopped non-league Football acting as an outlet for Tamplin’s ego, hence his abandonment of it.

Comment

Ah, thanks.

On a completely unrelated and hypothetical note - if someone were money laundering through a non-league football club I suppose Covid would scupper the whole endeavour.

Comment

Honi soit qui mal y pense, Ray.

Comment

Mange tout, Rodney, mange tout.

Comment

I just have a strange feeling that we haven't seen the last of Tamplin and that he'll pop up again in the not to distant future promising another club and a rags to riches story.

Comment

He's back on twitter and fully admits to being a drug addict. I'm not going to criticise him as I have had mental health issues of my own but....well, I wish him the best. Just don't get back into football Glen, from your financial advisers at OTF.

Comment

Wonder if he's checked with the council that he's allowed the change of use for converting his garage into that weird, giant cross-bedecked, shiny, 16-seat office?

Comment

https://twitter.com/Ollie_Bayliss/status/1471526081878499337

For context, Bedford FC is the smaller of the two senior clubs in Bedford - their immediate next-door neighbours, Bedford Town, are in Step 4.

Comment

When Tamplin left Romford, the official announcement said that he was 'working and living abroad'. This article in today's soaraway Sun suggests that he hasn't been home for a while... as 15,000 tonnes of waste have accumulated in his back garden.

Comment

And all this with Billericay bottom of the National League South and staring relegation in the face, in case anyone was wondering what happens to the clubs when this sort of bullshit passes.

Comment

Locally the rumours are he has upset someone big in the criminal World and has had to go into long-term hiding with his family.

Comment

Originally posted by My Name Is Ian View Post
                                                And all this with Billericay bottom of the National League South and staring relegation in the face, in case anyone was wondering what happens to the clubs when this sort of bullshit passes.
                                                Tbf, the owners since Tamplin have just overseen a steady sinking reversion to the norm for Billericay the last 3 seasons, rather than a terminal crash into the buffers. I think it's interesting to note that their main relegation rivals are Welling: whose owner and sometimes coach is still Mark Goldberg, the bloke who previously spunked his money up the walls at Palace.

Comment

And who once offered me a job...

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                                                    And who once offered me a job...
                                                    .... cleaning his spunk off the walls at Palace?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X